Clutch cable failed

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
After 87,180 miles and 7 years of riding the clutch cable failed close to the clutch lever.

There is absolutely no signs of corrosion and the cable was still slightly "oily". I can only think that it is fatigue from high use commuting in the city.

The Honda Dealers at Monthlery are nothing short of excellent. I had the bike recovered to them and, without an appointment of any sort, they set to work immediately and fitted a temporary replacement until the correct cable is delivered. So, thanks to Outsider Monthlery, I was only off the road for a total of 2 hours!

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
After 87,180 miles and 7 years of riding the clutch cable failed close to the clutch lever.

There is absolutely no signs of corrosion and the cable was still slightly "oily". I can only think that it is fatigue from high use commuting in the city.
You did very good. And got really good service from your dealer.

My clutch cable failed at about 55,000 miles, but it appears that the adjustment fitting at the handlebar was misaligned and caused premature wear.

Super Dave

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have a spare I carry on long trips. Can it be replaced without removing Tupperware?

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Can it be replaced without removing Tupperware?
It is pretty easy if I remember correctly. Seems I had to fiddle a bit to get it in properly at the clutch end.
Tie a string to one end of the old cable before pulling it out so you can pull the new one and get it routed the same way.

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
Back in the days when I rode off road, I would route a spare clutch and throttle cable next to the original, then tape the ends closed to protect them. When (not if) the original cable broke, the new cable was already routed and ready to hook up. I can ride with a broken clutch cable but not with a broken throttle cable.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
sorry to hear of clutch cable failure. so far mine is 167K strong. I did look at both ends at last oil change Feb 2017, still no fraying, and for that matter, very little stretching. I think I only twisted out the adjuster 5 months ago for the first time. just in case if anybody is worrying

Bike
2006 Black NT700V ABS
Co-incidentally I have been thinking for a while that my 2006, 52k mile clutch cable must be at risk of failure and have just asked my dealer to fit a new one when my bike goes in on Thursday for it's annual MOT (roadworthy test) along with new PR4's and a brake fluid change. I am getting a VFR800X Crossrunner as a courtesy bike for the day and fear I may be sufficiently impressed that I end up having a chat with the sales manager.

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
. . . . when my bike goes in on Thursday for it's annual MOT (roadworthy test) . . . .
The Ministry requires an annual vehicle maintenance check? By the dealer? Is that expensive? We don't do that in Idaho, but maybe some East Coast states do. Anyone in the US or Canada have that requirement too?

We do have a semi-annual vehicle (not motorcycle) emissions test though.

Dave

Bike
2006 Black NT700V ABS
Doesn't have to be by a dealer, motorcycle repair shops will generally do them as well. Takes about 40 minutes and costs about £30.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Certain states in Australia also require an annual inspection, can be a bit of a pain sometimes.

Seagrass

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
Cars in France, once they are 4 years old, have to inspected every 2 years. Bikes & Scooters (motos), never!

They found that .05% of motos involved in accidents would have failed a road-worthiness test.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The Ministry requires an annual vehicle maintenance check? By the dealer? Is that expensive? We don't do that in Idaho, but maybe some East Coast states do. Anyone in the US or Canada have that requirement too?

We do have a semi-annual vehicle (not motorcycle) emissions test though.

Dave
When I lived in Missouri you had to have your motorcycled safety checked once a year the same as you did with your car. There were places that did the safety checks.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
In Maine an annual inspection is required and is done by a dealer or licensed repair shop.

lynnbpa

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Pennsylvania requires an annual safety inspection for cars and cycles, done by licensed repair facilities.

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
Interestingly, even though they put a temporary cable on when mine broke, which took about an hour, then they replaced that with the proper cable today which took about an hour, they only charged me for 30 minutes labour.

Not only that, they did the temporary repair immediately without an appointment and today they arranged their schedule so they could work on my bike first.

Brilliant Service! S, if you're in the Paris (France) region and need assistance Outsider at Montlhery is the place to go.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'll put 'em on my list of good dealers for the next time I'm there. :rofl1:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Wow....I remember the days when clutch cables failed on a much more regular basis....but they were cheep to replace. I use a kit to lube mine about every three years but most of my miles are road miles....

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I will venture an educated guess that a clutch cable breaking close to the lever means the ball end was not lubricated so rather than swivel in the socket that is part of the lever, it forced the cable to bend every time the clutch lever was pulled back. Cleaning and applying grease to that socket is part of my winter maintenance routine. :)

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
Dirtflier, Good, but wrong guess.

It broke about 4" or so from the lever and the cable was still oily as I oil it fairly regularly, usually when I need to adjust the clutch a little. Also the bike is serviced by the main dealer between 3-4 times a year so, I assume, they'll oil the cable as part of the service. I do between 20,000 & 24,000 miles a year mostly city commuting. I change gear constantly (I go through boots on, nearly, a two yearly basis usually from a hole in the left sole above the gear lever!). I think, after 87,000 miles, it was just fatigue that got the better of it and the mechanic said the same.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
John,

After the initial failior and repair going so well did you burchase a LOTO ticket?:)

eldon

Top Bottom