Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate working on my NT.

My Gallery

I hate working on my NT.

I do all of the work on my 2010 NT700VA myself. I bought it new in March 2010 and have done all of the maintenance, repairs and upgrades myself. I have a service manual and tools to do everything necessary and I'm getting better at working on it. I have begun to collect the specific tools which precisely fit every fastener to make the tasks easier. I replace my tires all by myself. I have adjusted the valve clearance several times. Recently, I rebuilt my fork tubes too. I'm getting better at working on the NT, but I hate every minute of it. Next year, I hope to buy a new Suzuki S40 Boulevard because it should be much easier to work on. I hate working on the NT700V.

› Site Search for: I hate working on my NT.

My Gallery

Re: I hate working on my NT.

Any bike with body work can be a real PITA to work on... My FJ is only faired and it is still a nightmare as all the "tupperware" has gotten brittle with age. Being too firm with it can be a very expensive mistake resulting in trying to track down a replacement piece of body work. I suspect in a couple more years that same problem will become an issue on NT's as they age out sitting in the sun...

The Suzuki you're looking at brings back some fond memories. When I was attending the Army Advanced Non-Commisoned Officers Course (ANCOC) at Fort Gordon, GA in the mid 80's my roommate, Bob, had a new LS650 Savage as they were called back then. Bob was a Green Beret and I cost him a ton of grief when I called him a "Silly Savage", in a Tweety Bird voice, at formation one morning. For the rest of the course he was known as the "Silly Savage" in our class.
    Wayne
    1987 Yamaha FJ1200
    AMA Life Member

My Gallery

Wayne is right. Some bikes are harder to work on than others, but none of them are as easy as working on an IH tractor (the old ones). Nearly all vehicles require a computer for diagnostics now. I've seen loggers working on a piece of machinery for days in zero degree weather and finally give up and call a certified dealer technicial. The tech diagnosed the problem in minutes with his computer and fixed it in less than an hour. It was a hydraulic problem that was caused by a mechanical issue that was triggered by an electrical fault.

I don't like the way Honda uses so many different types/sizes of screws on one part. It requires multiple trips to the tool box that I don't believe are necessary.

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Have long ago given up on doing things that I hate, other than my job.
    Karl
    2010 ABS "Jezabell"

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Wayne is right.
    I don't like the way Honda uses so many different types/sizes of screws on one part. It requires multiple trips to the tool box that I don't believe are necessary.
    +1......all vehicles two wheeled and four are designed by engineers to make them easy to manufacture. Very little consideration given to ease of maintenance by a future owner.
    TIM WILKES
    2010 NT700V "PhaNTom" #1470
    2009 DL650 Wee (Phantom II)
    Patriot Guard Riders, AMA, Vietnam Veterans of America Life Member
    NT Only

My Gallery

I'm with Karl. My tool kit I carry when I travel is my AAA tow card, my cell phone, and my VISA card. Handles pretty much anything, but I've never had to use it.

Terry

(Threadstarter)

My Gallery

When the NT was new, everything was nice and it sounded great with the engine running. I would have liked to keep it that way, but it is not possible for me. My NT is never garaged and I have had three covers stolen from me. The sun wrecks the plastic parts and some of the bolt heads have begun to rust. Once, someone walked up and broke off my right mirror. Another time, someone almost ripped my top box clean off. I discovered much later that the vandal damaged the tail light assembly in the process. On two other occasions, my bike was deliberately pushed over on it's right side while parked outside. I fixed all of that stuff myself, but I'm tired of fixing this thing. I completely ignore the scratches and cosmetic imperfections.

My Gallery

This country hick has no idea what you city folks put up with. I couldn't tolerate that kind of vandalism. Maybe you should get a dozer. Not as fast as a motorcycle, but the vandals would have to work a lot harder to tip it over.
    Sorry, I don't mean to make light of your problems. But i just don't understand that mentality (if that is what it is). And I don't think I could deal with it without getting in trouble. In a civilized society we are supposed to depend on law enforcement and insurance companies to control and fix things like that. I guess that ins't working for you. Good luck.

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Wow! I'm like Jim...I don't understand the people who would do that sort of thing. I guess I've been lucky. None of my bikes have ever been vandalized. I used to park on the alley next to my church and the bike would be there during the day and at night with my helmet sitting over my GPS and the keys in the ignition. Nothing was ever touched until one night, after probably 8 years of parking there, I came out after working till about 1:00 AM and my 4-yr-old Nolan helmet was missing. The Garmin 2780 GPS that was worth more than the helmet was still sitting right there.

I have a theory about bike theft. My hunch is that bikes like the NT or the Connies I owned before it are pretty safe from theft. Harleys and sport bikes are much more likely to be stolen. So far, that theory has worked for 18 years.

I'm sorry about all the vandalism you've had. I hope it stops.
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 115,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by iloiloguy View Post
    When the NT was new, everything was nice and it sounded great with the engine running. I would have liked to keep it that way, but it is not possible for me. My NT is never garaged and I have had three covers stolen from me. The sun wrecks the plastic parts and some of the bolt heads have begun to rust. Once, someone walked up and broke off my right mirror. Another time, someone almost ripped my top box clean off. I discovered much later that the vandal damaged the tail light assembly in the process. On two other occasions, my bike was deliberately pushed over on it's right side while parked outside. I fixed all of that stuff myself, but I'm tired of fixing this thing. I completely ignore the scratches and cosmetic imperfections.
    That is just crazy. Here in the mid-west I never had any issues with vandalism on any of my bikes when out and about. Most people around here would not tolerate it if it did happen. I do keep all my vehicles in the garage at night.

In your case it almost sounds like the same person doing the damage to your NT. Do you have a nasty neighbor that hates motorcycles?

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast