I hate working on my NT.

Bike
Silver 2010 NT700VAA
I do all of the work on my 2010 NT700VA myself. I bought it new in March 2010 and have done all of the maintenance, repairs and upgrades myself. I have a service manual and tools to do everything necessary and I'm getting better at working on it. I have begun to collect the specific tools which precisely fit every fastener to make the tasks easier. I replace my tires all by myself. I have adjusted the valve clearance several times. Recently, I rebuilt my fork tubes too. I'm getting better at working on the NT, but I hate every minute of it. Next year, I hope to buy a new Suzuki S40 Boulevard because it should be much easier to work on. I hate working on the NT700V.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Any bike with body work can be a real PITA to work on... My FJ is only ½ faired and it is still a nightmare as all the "tupperware" has gotten brittle with age. Being too firm with it can be a very expensive mistake resulting in trying to track down a replacement piece of body work. I suspect in a couple more years that same problem will become an issue on NT's as they age out sitting in the sun...

The Suzuki you're looking at brings back some fond memories. When I was attending the Army Advanced Non-Commisoned Officers Course (ANCOC) at Fort Gordon, GA in the mid 80's my roommate, Bob, had a new LS650 Savage as they were called back then. Bob was a Green Beret and I cost him a ton of grief when I called him a "Silly Savage", in a Tweety Bird voice, at formation one morning. For the rest of the course he was known as the "Silly Savage" in our class. :eek1: :rofl1: :crackup:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Wayne is right. Some bikes are harder to work on than others, but none of them are as easy as working on an IH tractor (the old ones). Nearly all vehicles require a computer for diagnostics now. I've seen loggers working on a piece of machinery for days in zero degree weather and finally give up and call a certified dealer technicial. The tech diagnosed the problem in minutes with his computer and fixed it in less than an hour. It was a hydraulic problem that was caused by a mechanical issue that was triggered by an electrical fault.

I don't like the way Honda uses so many different types/sizes of screws on one part. It requires multiple trips to the tool box that I don't believe are necessary.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Have long ago given up on doing things that I hate, other than my job.

tawilke46

Wayne is right.
I don't like the way Honda uses so many different types/sizes of screws on one part. It requires multiple trips to the tool box that I don't believe are necessary.
+1......all vehicles two wheeled and four are designed by engineers to make them easy to manufacture. Very little consideration given to ease of maintenance by a future owner.

I'm with Karl. My tool kit I carry when I travel is my AAA tow card, my cell phone, and my VISA card. Handles pretty much anything, but I've never had to use it.

Terry

OP
OP
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700VAA
When the NT was new, everything was nice and it sounded great with the engine running. I would have liked to keep it that way, but it is not possible for me. My NT is never garaged and I have had three covers stolen from me. The sun wrecks the plastic parts and some of the bolt heads have begun to rust. Once, someone walked up and broke off my right mirror. Another time, someone almost ripped my top box clean off. I discovered much later that the vandal damaged the tail light assembly in the process. On two other occasions, my bike was deliberately pushed over on it's right side while parked outside. I fixed all of that stuff myself, but I'm tired of fixing this thing. I completely ignore the scratches and cosmetic imperfections.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
This country hick has no idea what you city folks put up with. I couldn't tolerate that kind of vandalism. Maybe you should get a dozer. Not as fast as a motorcycle, but the vandals would have to work a lot harder to tip it over.
Sorry, I don't mean to make light of your problems. But i just don't understand that mentality (if that is what it is). And I don't think I could deal with it without getting in trouble. In a civilized society we are supposed to depend on law enforcement and insurance companies to control and fix things like that. I guess that ins't working for you. Good luck.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Wow! I'm like Jim...I don't understand the people who would do that sort of thing. I guess I've been lucky. None of my bikes have ever been vandalized. I used to park on the alley next to my church and the bike would be there during the day and at night with my helmet sitting over my GPS and the keys in the ignition. Nothing was ever touched until one night, after probably 8 years of parking there, I came out after working till about 1:00 AM and my 4-yr-old Nolan helmet was missing. The Garmin 2780 GPS that was worth more than the helmet was still sitting right there.

I have a theory about bike theft. My hunch is that bikes like the NT or the Connies I owned before it are pretty safe from theft. Harleys and sport bikes are much more likely to be stolen. So far, that theory has worked for 18 years.

I'm sorry about all the vandalism you've had. I hope it stops.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
When the NT was new, everything was nice and it sounded great with the engine running. I would have liked to keep it that way, but it is not possible for me. My NT is never garaged and I have had three covers stolen from me. The sun wrecks the plastic parts and some of the bolt heads have begun to rust. Once, someone walked up and broke off my right mirror. Another time, someone almost ripped my top box clean off. I discovered much later that the vandal damaged the tail light assembly in the process. On two other occasions, my bike was deliberately pushed over on it's right side while parked outside. I fixed all of that stuff myself, but I'm tired of fixing this thing. I completely ignore the scratches and cosmetic imperfections.
That is just crazy. Here in the mid-west I never had any issues with vandalism on any of my bikes when out and about. Most people around here would not tolerate it if it did happen. I do keep all my vehicles in the garage at night.

In your case it almost sounds like the same person doing the damage to your NT. Do you have a nasty neighbor that hates motorcycles?

I must admit I am also not fond of doing maintenance. But, I also restore cars. MG and Model Ts. Being 70ish It is a little tougher to crawl under vehicles and negotiate the adventures. But, the flip side is I'm pleased I can still do it. I just bought the NT and have only started digging into the upgrades I want to do. Again, the pleasure these endeavors give far outweigh any negatives. The gentleman above that hates to get up in the morning to his chosen vocation breaks my heart. Everyday is a new adventure and we have choices. I have had many motorcycles over the last 40 years and have done most of the maintenance. Yes, not my favorite thing but most of the bikes had names (Some x-rated) had a few wives also and their maintenance was a challenge as well.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I have found the NT to be quite easy to work on. Yes there's some Tupperware to remove for access to the engine, the main thing to do is keep fasteners with the plastic pieces upon removal. Magnet trays are commonly available and cheap, get yourself a few.

A small cordless hex driver will also be handy. DeWalt makes a nice 3-cell Lithium driver that works well. I usually break loose the panel fasteners with hand tools, then spin them out and back home with cordless tools. Saves a lot of elbow grease.

Brad

OP
OP
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700VAA
I wish that I could say the same for Baltimore City. I was born and raised here, mostly in rough neighborhoods. For sure, everyone in Baltimore is not bad, but we have more than our fair share of thugs, criminals, drug addicts, juvenile delinquents, vandals and crooked cops. No one in my apartment building sees these things take place. If they did witness these activities, most would call me or the police. I am the only person in my senior building who rides a motorcycle. I am looking into moving to Thailand when I retire.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
I worked as a Honda motorcycle mechanic for over 10 years (1980 to 1990), have worked on all my own from 1975 to current and believe me, the NT isn't as difficult to work on as some. They all have their little quirks however it's all part of it. One of the biggest time consumers is the valves and I have learned, with the NT, I do not need to do the valves as often as the manual says and have gone much longer between those increments with no different results. A little less time in the valve adjustment portion, more time on the road. Like every bike I've ever owned you can find little short cuts that save a bunch of time when doing certain procedures. Enjoy the ride !

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
On my FJR, If I am not pulling the wheels, I can do almost all the maintenance with 8, 10, 12, 14, and 17mm wrenches (sockets are handy, though), 3 Allen wrenches, and 3 Torx wrenches. The tupperware on a Series III though is a PITA. It's like a wooden Chinese puzzle that snaps together, then uses a handful of fasteners, mostly hidden, to bolt the plastic to the frame. Access to the battery and fuses is also a little tricky.

I'm with Karl. My tool kit I carry when I travel is my AAA tow card, my cell phone, and my VISA card. Handles pretty much anything, but I've never had to use it.
Terry
I travel with 20 lbs. of tools (I weighed my tool bag), including an air compressor and a tire patch kit. It's a carryover from my old Britbike days. I have never used any of the tools on the road, but I have lent tools to broke down bikers twice.

It is partially "the umbrella philosophy": If you carry an umbrella, it won't rain, but the first time you forget it . . .

I have a theory about bike theft. My hunch is that bikes like the NT or the Connies I owned before it are pretty safe from theft. Harleys and sport bikes are much more likely to be stolen. So far, that theory has worked for 18 years.
FJR's are also under represented. There aren't many of them, and they are pretty reliable so there's no great demand for parts.

Last edited:

Never2Late

iloilguy,
I used to have 2 Suzuki S40's. Got rid of them before I left Arizona. The forum for the Suzuki Savage has tons of information. You could talk to "Thumpn" on this forum, he has a Savage, I'm sure could answer any questions you might have. Nice bike light weight bike. I enjoyed riding them. Good Luck..........Jim

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The popularity of certain types of bikes being stolen while others are totally ignored has to do with how quickly the thieves can sell the pieces. The same goes with cars.

Top Bottom