Riding at STAR

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It's been a good week for riding. I rode 140 miles from Greeley to get here on Sunday -- not very far, but the longest time I'd been on the bike since my knee surgery on Valentine's Day.

Monday was 230 miles on a magnificently beautiful day. South of Colorado Springs through mountains and prayers and canyons and forests, oh my!!

Today was 186 through totally different kind of country. It was a good ride till the group leader decided we needed to stop. He picked a small paved pullout and as I slowed down, I thought, "I ought not to stop there." But others were so I did too. As I pulled on to the pullout, I was looking for a decent place to stop. Then before I had one picked, I had to stop anyway and my left foot went down on about 1/8" of sand. Foot slid, bike laid down. Slight amount of additional cosmetic damage to big pannier lid. I was glad there were others there to help lift the bike. After the stop, it went back to being a good ride, although my back and my neck are a tad sore.

Tomorrow, I'm not going to leave the Springs, but will ride over to see a longtime motorcycle friend who's had three strokes since February of last year. He's worried that his riding days may be over for good. Right now, he's not even driving until he gets clearance from his neurologist -- he sees her on Friday.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Phil good to hear you are OK and that the bike did not suffer too much damage.

Sometimes we can overthink things instead of trusting our skill and experience. I know I am guilty of this and sometimes it makes the outcome worse. I am wondering if this is what happened to you.

Thanks for taking the time to visit your friend, I am sure he will greatly appreciate the visit.

When you are next on the NT700 enjoy the ride and try to relax and trust your experience.

Seagrass

tawilke46

Glad you were not seriously hurt Phil. Slow speeds on questionable surfaces can be tricky for sure.
Enjoy the rest of your ride.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Glad you aren't not injured. And I hope your self assessment is better than your last one with the deer.
Phil there is no need to re-establish your SAD reputation after a short break from riding, so give it up. You are already in the hall of fame.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Phil there is no need to re-establish your SAD reputation after a short break from riding, so give it up. You are already in the hall of fame.
I'm seriously considering lowering my bike. I've talked to DirtFlier here at STAR and he lowered his and says it makes a big difference. I think Frosty has lowered his bike, too. It seems like it may be time to take that step.

If I do that, it'll have to be after Spearfish.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I'm seriously considering lowering my bike. I've talked to DirtFlier here at STAR and he lowered his and says it makes a big difference. I think Frosty has lowered his bike, too. It seems like it may be time to take that step.
I think you'd be happy with the lowered bike. I don't remember hearing anyone say "I'm sorry I lowered it"

If I do that, it'll have to be after Spearfish.
DirtFlier gave me the instructions and design for the spring jig so I could get mine lowered as well. It makes all the difference being able to flat-foot it. The only thing to remember is when going around curves your toe can be the first thing to hit the ground.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The only thing to remember is when going around curves your toe can be the first thing to hit the ground.
LOL! I've got MCL peg lowerers on the bike and my toe is already sometimes the first thing to hit the ground. Those peg lowerers might need to come off. Fortunately, since the last surgery, I've got more bend in my knee and that might not be a problem now.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I don't think the TSX X-5 boots I wear have steel toes, but I think they're pretty well reinforced. I already bought a backup pair when MotorcycleGear.com had them on special last fall. Thanks for caring about my toes, though. :)

Phil, sorry about the SAD. I'm glad you're well and did nothing to your hand or knee. My last SAD was about 2 months ago in a parking lot, turning around. Only my ego seems to get bruised when I do this. Glad to here you're putting miles on your bike again.

terry

Bike
2006 Black NT700V ABS
Phil,

So pleased to see you are back in the saddle, here's to many more happy miles for you and your bike. Great to hear you have improved bend in your knee too!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thanks, guys! It is good to be back on the bike. I just got home after riding another 144 miles from Colorado Springs, so I'm up to 1332 miles for the year. That means I'm slowly, slowly creeping closer to the next guy up the list on the Mileage Tracker on the Forum, but I'm still in the bottom 0%. :-(

The knee is gradually getting stronger and I'll go back to physical therapy next week.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
It's been a good week for riding. I rode 140 miles from Greeley to get here on Sunday -- not very far, but the longest time I'd been on the bike since my knee surgery on Valentine's Day.

Monday was 230 miles on a magnificently beautiful day. South of Colorado Springs through mountains and prayers and canyons and forests, oh my!!

Today was 186 through totally different kind of country. It was a good ride till the group leader decided we needed to stop. He picked a small paved pullout and as I slowed down, I thought, "I ought not to stop there." But others were so I did too. As I pulled on to the pullout, I was looking for a decent place to stop. Then before I had one picked, I had to stop anyway and my left foot went down on about 1/8" of sand. Foot slid, bike laid down. Slight amount of additional cosmetic damage to big pannier lid. I was glad there were others there to help lift the bike. After the stop, it went back to being a good ride, although my back and my neck are a tad sore.

Tomorrow, I'm not going to leave the Springs, but will ride over to see a longtime motorcycle friend who's had three strokes since February of last year. He's worried that his riding days may be over for good. Right now, he's not even driving until he gets clearance from his neurologist -- he sees her on Friday.
Glad you are enjoying the time with the MSTA bunch. I had just been out there last summer so didn't want to make another trip there. Will likely join their group here in Marietta Ohio for their FlyBy as it sounds like it might be their last one there. Sorry you have a tipover. Glad all is ok though. Ride On !

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
DirtFlier gave me the instructions and design for the spring jig so I could get mine lowered as well. It makes all the difference being able to flat-foot it. The only thing to remember is when going around curves your toe can be the first thing to hit the ground.
I did lower my bike using DirtFlier's jig as well. I was also surprised when I rubbed the toe of my boot in a tight lean joining an on ramp. :eek: Lowering the NT has made a big difference for me. If I had to buy another NT, I would lower it. It reduces boot slips and the resulting SAD. I am glad that you are alright Phil.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...DirtFlier gave me the instructions and design for the spring jig so I could get mine lowered as well...]

My spring compressor has logged serious mileage coast-to-coast and north-to-south! I never imagined it would be utilized by so many on the NT-owner's.com website and it makes me feel good that I'm giving back to the group. :)

Top Bottom