Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk me off the cliff!!!!

My Gallery

Talk me off the cliff!!!!

I have a 2010 NT that I love. Great bike. I may be preaching to the choir, but I find it very comfortable and I can cruise at 70-85 with little vibes. Smooth. And I say that as a former Honda Blackbird owner (99), widely recognized as one of the smoothest rides ever.

Ok, here's the "cliff" part. I just came across a used 2012 Honda NC700X in great shape with many (all?) of the goodies you want. Case guards, higher windshield, Honda OEM hard bags, center stand too. For a screaming good price. Less than half of what it was new.

I'm tempted.

But isn't it redundant? I have a great commuter, tourer bike. The NT covers what the NC will do, with shaft drive.

Still, I'm intrigued. The NC has always seemed like a great option. And this one is available at a great price.

OK inmates...talk to me. Yes? No?

› Site Search for: Talk me off the cliff!!!!

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setting
    My Gallery

Re: Talk me off the cliff!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post

OK inmates...talk to me. Yes? No?
    I have both, although the NC is the DCT version.

I was initially disappointed that the NC was not replacement for the NT. But I kept them both and find that the NC is a nice bike on it's own.

The NC is a little lighter and I use it more for shorter trips around town and rural touring near my house. The NT is better for the longer higher speed trips. The NC is nicer in warmer weather and has maybe 10% better fuel economy.

The NT seat is MUCH nicer in all conditions. If you buy the NC, raise the front of the seat about an inch. The factory seat slopes forward and it gets uncomfortable very quickly.

There is a nice NC 700 forum too.
    https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/cmps_index.php

Super Dave
    I used to be indecisive, now I am not so sure!
    Dave
    http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx177/glupy/VisitedSuperDave.jpg

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

I've got a friend who has moved from Greeley up to near Sturgis. Larry made it to the NT/ST-Owners Rally in Spearfish for at least a day last year. He'd done quite a bit of farkeling to his NC700X (not the DCT version) and had added a lot of weather protection. He and I did a 300-mile ride together not long before he moved. We left Greeley, took Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park, then rode up over Willow Creek Pass to Walden, CO, for lunch. Before we started back down CO-14, we bought gas.

I was feeling pretty cocky about having gotten 57mpg, when Larry walked over and told me he'd gotten 76mpg! I'd been running at 75-80 between Rand and Walden, where CO-125 turns into an open road with long sight lines and I'd done some passing of pickup trucks and Larry had stayed right with me. I was very impressed with the NC. He said that if he had it to do over, he probably wouldn't get the Honda panniers. They didn't give him enough storage space for longer trips.

I've been intrigued by the bike too, mainly because of its lighter weight. But I don't think I'd like it as well for "Epic Rides."
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 115,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

I test rode one a couple years ago.. did not like having to shift so early.. I know that's part of the better gas mileage but I just like ringing out a motor more than that... so it took all the fun out of a bike I wanted to like. That was just a short test ride and nothing long-term so take it for what it's worth. At the time, I ended up with a 650 vstrom w/10k rev limiter.. LOTS of fun.
    Don't sweat the small stuff, it's all small stuff"

I test rode one for about 40 miles just before I bought my used 2010 NT. I really liked the bike, BUT!! the chain final drive killed it for me. I have not owned a chain drive bike for about 35 years and I never will again. Shaft drive is OK but belt drive rules in my world. I have owned 8 or 9 belt drive Harleys, never broke a belt (I did try, pulling 2nd gear hole shots at a drag strip with a 92 Ultra Classic) Belts are clean, quiet, long lasting, (never replaced one) and rarely require adjustment. Don't know why Honda did not use shaft or belt on the NC. If they would have, I would own one now.
    All states I have ridden in since 1967, on 35 motorcycles.

My Gallery

I have had belts as well as xhains and shafts back to mid 1950s shaftsup to and inxluding NT. I still own a belt drive HD ultr xlasic, at 15,000 mi the OEM belt broke with no warning and did not have any tell tale signs of why. aaaaaaaaaaaaa //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////you will find it extremely difficult to do s rosd-side replacement on a belt drive as the swing arm rear suspension has to be removed to allow the belt to be installed while a xhain can be feed through and put togather with a master link///////////////////1 Yes belt is quieter and a bit cleaner, and requires less upkeep, but if I were given a choice betweent chain or belt I would choose chain, this based on 100 pluss K miles of 60s & 70s H///d miles on sportsters and 1200 FLHmiles.
    yes chain has a disadvantage, but todasys xhains with a little care cans give you 30-50K miles and then be changed out fur much less than cost of a final drive system , or belt system.

this is just the opinion of a cantankerous old almost blind guy that can no longer get on the road riding or driving himself.

Eldon

The Harleys, Hondas, Fords, Chevys, etc. built today are NOT the same as those built in the 50's, 60's, 70's, or 80's. I base MY OPINION on over 1/4 million miles on belt drives.
    The NC700 Honda as well as the Kawasaki Versey were both contenders, but lost due to the chain final drive. We are all different people and have different likes and dislikes. I happen to dislike chain final drives.

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Electraclyde View Post
    I happen to dislike chain final drives.
    Me, too, Clyde...even though I'm not exactly the poster boy for the longevity of shaft final drives. My first one failed because a mechanic didn't bother to lube the splines when I got a tire change in Florida during my Epic Ride. The second one failed after a mechanic got the spacer location out of whack. But i didn't have to pay for the first one, and got the 2nd one for about 1/2 price to the kindly service manager at my dealer (who did take the opportunity to chew my leg off for having taken the bike to a different dealer for a tire change. I'll never do that again.

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

DirtFlyer would be the best to ask, as he has both the NT and an NC. Their are positive and negative things he mentioned during our ride three weeks ago here in WV, where he brought his NC. Give him a shout.
    Duane

It's all about the Journey....... Not a Destination !

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Electraclyde View Post
    I happen to dislike chain final drives.
    My thoughts exactly !

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast