Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talk me off the cliff!!!!

My Gallery

Re: Talk me off the cliff!!!!

Agreed. That is why I have an FJR.
    John Casteel - 2013 FJR
    Corinth, TX (just south of Denton on I35E)
    Spearfish 2017, added ND, WA, OR, AZ

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

I have both a 2014 Vee STrom 650 with chain drive, and a 2014 FJR with shaft drive. Each bike has a different purpose for my riding styles. As far as chain vs shaft, I have no issues with ether. Both have their unique maint. requirements. After a 250 mile local day ride it takes 30 seconds to lube the chain. (Center-stand is helpful) On an over night, multi day trip, a couple of mins to lube chain. My last chain/sprocket replacement was at about 35k miles. On my shaft drive bikes at about 30 to 40 k miles the rubber dampers need to be replace and at very tire change the splines need to be lubed with the PROPER grease , (ask Phil about that) After 35 years of riding I don't see any real disadvantage of ether type of drive method. Each is a bit different. Each has it's own maint. requirements. When deciding on the motorcycle don't let the drive system be a war stopper. Make your decision based on what you want to do with the machine and your personal taste. And learn how to properly maintain your machine. YMMV.

Edit: I owned a NT700V for about 4 years and did 35000 miles on it I also owned a ST1100 for 80000 miles and a ST1300 for 135000 miles, a Honda shadow 1100 times 2 for about 100000 miles, now a FJR so I am well versed in shafties and their difficulty and cost to maintain. I also get to maintain my Son-in-laws NC700X machine. That machine is pretty much maint. free. Lube chain, replace oil and coolant occasionally, put gas in it, and GO RIDE. If the NC 700 X is your style of bike go for it. It is pretty much bullet proof. Less maint then on my NT700V.

PS: as a side note the NT700V rear tire change was a real pain in the *** compared to my V- STrom 650.
    Last edited by Chucksklrst; 06-17-2017 at 10:49 PM.
    Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001 NTOC#854
    14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)14 DL650[I] (Wee II) 17 VX300 Versys (Little Gray Bike)
    https://www.facebook.com/chuck.henderson.980

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Chucksklrst View Post
    If the NC 700 X is your style of bike go for it.
    I agree. I wouldn't let the chain drive be a deal breaker. The new chains last a long time and the wax lubes are easier to use and cleaner than old petroleum based lubes. I think the petroleum based lubes last better in wet conditions though, and on the downside they attract more dirt.

From what I've read the chain is still the most effecient way to propel a motorcycle (other than electric). Shaft drives can rob up to 10% of the power changing shaft rotations to different angles. Pick your own poison.

My Gallery

I eoulf duggest looking at the /fjr snd make a complet comparison between it , and the NT. look at what you get snd hat farkles you will want and ///////////what is and IS NOT available for both!

You casn sldo put the NC into the same comparison. then mske your own decision bssed on what you want your bike to do. /there are not really any bad bikes in todays market place, but some hsve better and more festures than others, yes some sre more expensive initialy , but after you farkle the cheasper version with all available options snd have spent perhaps over 4K$$ and still don't have some of the major features available to you perhsps you will wonder why you didn't get the bike with almost everything already on it as OEM

/the NT is dependable, snf\d will do what you ask of it,l ike take you arrround N /////////////////////////////////////americ\a , or maybe the world, BUTT it does have its negatives as well, ///////////////////////////////////////////////////the NC I don't know from first hand experience, but it does hsve dome very good fesured.

Make your own choice and go ride/////////////1

Eldon

+ New Posts
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12