Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New bike

Graham
    (Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

New bike

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Tarman View Post
    Graham, that's a really good-looking bike! How tall is it? I was at the Motorcycle Sport Touring Association's STAR rally (which you already knew) and they had an Africa Twin for their bike raffle. It was a beautiful bike, but I would have needed at least a two-foot stepladder to have gotten onto it. Fortunately, I didn't win it. :-)
    It's a little taller Phil, on the NT I can flat-foot one side and tip-toe the other. With the 800X it is tip-toe both sides. My guess is it's maybe an inch taller. I believe it does have a height-adjustable saddle, although I do not know whether the loaners saddle was set on the high or low position, only that it was good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    I hope your dealer is more honest than mine. I recently negotiated a trade at a Triumph dealer to trade in my NT on a Tiger 800 XRx. I ended up accepting $500 less than I wanted for my NT. But when I went to pick it up (160 miles away) the sales manager told me that he had to lower the trade in price by another $800 (total trade in value $2,200). This I found out only after I had loaded the new Tiger in my truck for the trip home. As it ended up we had a big disagreement. I didn't trade in the NT, but I did get the Tiger. I'll never return to that dealership again. And I learned that any future deals will need to be better documented.
    Jim, really sorry to hear of your bad experience with that dealer - I would not be using them again if I was in your position. I am fortunate to already have a great long-term relationship with my dealer, and the deal has been documented and signed by both parties so I don't anticipate any problems. Hope you enjoy your Tiger - I have also been looking at this model but I think that for me the Honda worked out a little better, and of course it is available in the UK. I really hope Honda start selling this model in the states soon, I'm sure it would sell pretty well.
    Last edited by gbrand42; 06-17-2017 at 05:30 AM.
    Black 2006 NT700VA-6 (Betty)
    Red 2017 VFR800X (Wilma)

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Re: New bike

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    Ok.. I was thinking that was the 1200X... heck we don't even get the 800X over here.. congrats on the new ride.
    Same here ! I think the 800 would do great over here. I would even consider that one and appears to be shaft drive. If the luggage would be decent, I'd be sold.

Edit: Oh PS; Beautiful bike by the way !
    Last edited by WVRider; 06-16-2017 at 08:03 PM.
    Duane

It's all about the Journey....... Not a Destination !

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by gbrand42 View Post
    I hope you don't mind if I stick around as I really enjoy this forum.
    Hey, they let me hang around and I have never owned an NT.
    John Casteel - 2013 FJR
    Corinth, TX (just south of Denton on I35E)
    Spearfish 2017, added ND, WA, OR, AZ

Graham
    (Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

Well here she is - I collected her this morning and just have time to get home, fit the Airhawk in case of numb rear problems and I'm off to do the National Road Rally 2017. Not quite an Iron Butt but will clock up 600-700 miles in the next 24 hrs. First service is booked in for Monday.

My Gallery

I thinnk you're going to love that motor.

My Gallery

That is a great looking bike!
    Wayne
    1987 Yamaha FJ1200
    AMA Life Member

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setting
    My Gallery

I really hope Honda start selling this model in the states soon, I'm sure it would sell pretty well.
    I have already started bugging a local dealer and his Honda rep. The dealer reports that hey have had some very slow sellers (CB100, CTX700N, etc.) and are trimming their street motorcycle offerings.

Super Dave
    I used to be indecisive, now I am not so sure!
    Dave
    http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx177/glupy/VisitedSuperDave.jpg

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Wow! That looks like a great ride! Let us know what you think after you get back from the National Rally.
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 125,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Well here she is - I collected her this morning and just have time to get home, fit the Airhawk in case of numb rear problems and I'm off to do the National Road Rally 2017. Not quite an Iron Butt but will clock up 600-700 miles in the next 24 hrs. First service is booked in for Monday.

Sure wish they would sell that model here in the USA. That bike might make me a Honda owner again. Nice looking bike.
    Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001 NTOC#854
    14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)14 DL650[I] (Wee II) 17 VX300 Versys (Little Gray Bike)
    https://www.facebook.com/chuck.henderson.980

Graham
    (Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

I had a great day/night on the rally, met some very nice people and did a lot of miles which helped me to get used to the new bike - here are a few thoughts.........

The V4 engine is a great piece of engineering - it sounds really purposeful, is silky smooth, and has plenty of power (I haven't explored full throttle application or over 7,000 rpm as it's breaking in). Fuel consumption is a little worse than the NT - I am getting 50 mpg while breaking in, the NT used to give me about 55 mpg in normal use. I anticipate once I can explore all the power it will return maybe 45mpg, but I can live with that, it's giving me 41bhp additional fun so a little more fuel is worth it. I can detect no vibration through seat, pegs or bars. I found several times that I was cruising along in 5th gear instead of 6th, several years of NT ownership seems to have programmed my brain to stop changing up when I get to 5th, this is despite there being a gear indicator on the dash display. Cruising is effortless - an indicated 70mph has the engine spinning at 4400 rpm in top gear, similar to the NT, although with the red zone starting at 12,000 there is a little more to play with at the top end.

All controls have a quality feel we can expect from Honda - a nice touch are the adjustable clutch and brake levers which enabled me to fine tune the reach. The clutch is hydraulic and has a very slightly heavier pull than the cable arrangement on the NT which may be an issue for some. The LED lights were something else, I have never felt so confident riding out in the country at night although of course this did not help when a deer darted out of the undergrowth just in front of me - happily we did not collide.

In terms of comfort I think it would be wrong to expect total comfort over 700 miles on any completely stock bike. I can say that I had no knee or hip issues which had troubled me on the NT before I lowered the pegs. The seat gave me no more numb-butt than the stock NT seat but is something I will be looking to modify in due course as my modified NT seat was a revelation. A new issue I had was some pain across the back of my neck and shoulders. I believe this may be due to the extra width of the bars combined with the very upright riding position. It wasn't a huge issue and I'm hoping that I may find this fades as I get more miles under my belt and my body adjusts to the new riding position. I also found the grips a little skinny and hard as I used to run grip-puppies on the NT to help with the vibrations, so I may get a set for the Crossrunner.

Tyres are Bridgestone Adventure A40s which seemed perfectly fine in both wet and dry as we had a little rain during the night, I did not once see the traction control light flash which would have indicated some intervention from the bike.

Finally the stock screen is OK and is height adjustable, but I think I may change it for a touring screen which will give me a little more protection.

In summary - I love the new bike, I don't believe there is a perfect bike that suits every rider straight out of the crate, and the things I may need to change are relatively minor and not required urgently as they are as a result of me being probably excessively picky.

If I haven't bored you too much and you are still reading this, I hope it may have been of some interest to you. Now get onto your dealers to get this bike imported! The USA needs this bike.
    Last edited by gbrand42; 07-03-2017 at 09:44 PM.

+ New Posts
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast