Has anyone ever seen/done this?

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
Never tried that with my NT. We (MSF instructors at the local community college) did that every time we taught a class. The bikes were stored in a storage pod.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Ya, I've seen it done, but can't remember anyone trying it with a big bike. A lot of the side stands are cast aluminum and I wouldn't trust any of those. if the side stand is steel I might go for it. I don't believe any of them are actually designed for that maneuver.

Bring some beer to Spearfish and we'll see if we can get someone to demonstrate it.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
That is one of the first "tricks" I learned when I was working at a motorcycle shop. For bigger bikes you put it on the center stand then press down on the rear, enough to raise the front wheel off the ground, and then rotate the bike around. I had a slippery plastic kitchen cutting mat I used under the NT's center stand to make it easy to "spin" on the concrete garage floor...

OP
OP

Tonydtiger1971

Ok, cool, it was brand new to me. Saw someone do it over the weekend.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I don't think that I will bother trying that with the NT.
A 250cc bike might be OK but an NT is heavy and may be a real handful when balanced on a 1/2 sq inch of metal.
Besides the balance point, I also don't think I would like to put the full weight of the NT on the side stand.

Macka

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
We do that a lot with our bikes. But it depends on which one.Do it with the little ones all the time. The NC and CB, but not the baby GS's. The bike bikes? Nope. Put 'em up on the center stand and carefully spin them around.

We have been known, though , to occasionally on this on a bigger bike. kind of push it around, never lifting the bike fully onto the side stand. The GS's have side stands that retract if you breathe on them, so if we do that, its with the wheels on the ground.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Never tried that with the NT, but if you have enough room to try it there is a much better option ( if the concrete is smooth enough). On both the NT and my Tiger, I would ride the bike into the garage, dismount and put it on the center stand. While on the centerstand I could easily swivel or spin the bike to turn it around. It was very stable and supported by the center stand the entire time. Never tried it on rough surfaces or gravel, just smooth concrete. Much easier than trying to back the NT into the garage.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Side stand - No. Center stand - on very smooth concrete. I use a small piece of carpet in the garage. First saw this at Rich's Seats years ago. I am going there Fri. I am interested to see if they use the side stand thing on big bikes without center stands.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...A lot of the side stands are cast aluminum and I wouldn't trust any of those...]

If a motorcycle does have an alum sidestand, I'd guess it was forged aluminum and not cast aluminum. Castings are just too brittle and break easily when a bending force is applied.

All the Honda motorcycles I've owned had a steel sidestand but perhaps the CBR sport bikes have forged alum sidestands?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
If a motorcycle does have an alum sidestand, I'd guess it was forged aluminum and not cast aluminum. Castings are just too brittle and break easily when a bending force is applied.
You're right. I didn't say what I meant. Forged aluminum.
The side stand is a poor place to try to save weight by compromising strength. I sometimes mount my bike by standing on the left foot peg and swinging my right leg over.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Side stand - No. Center stand - on very smooth concrete. I use a small piece of carpet in the garage. First saw this at Rich's Seats years ago. I am going there Fri. I am interested to see if they use the side stand thing on big bikes without center stands.
I agree. The NT has a nice center of balance and you can pivit it on the center stand if you have the room. If you are young and muscular, you might get away with it on the side stand ah la the vid. I would love to see a weak little old man try it on an FJR....not.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Well, I'm not particularly little, but I'm weak and old, so I'll be willing to try it with your FJR ins Spearfish. :rofl1:
Its a Honda rally. I am bringing my HONDA motorcycle. Isnt there something about those that bring other makes buying the beer????
(NOBODY TOUCHES MY FJR!)

OP
OP

Tonydtiger1971

Maybe I should bring the goldwing and let him try.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
You wouldn't. I don't know if could get the Goldwing off it's sidestand, much less manage to tilt it up on to the sidestand.
My '83 was very managable...as for a 2017, well, that might be something else. No Wingabago for me....

Top Bottom