Another dumb move!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I confess to pressure washing my bike. I'm careful not to squirt near the wheel bearings. As far as I can tell, it's never hurt anything. I've never tried turning around in the wash bay like that, though. Maybe next time. :)

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Yep I watched Phil pressure wash his bike when we got to Tok AK. We both had a LOT of calcium chloride mud on our bikes from riding through the lengthy constructions zones on the Alaska Highway. I used the same washer. And my bike still has some of that calcium chloride mud on it to this day. The only way I could ever clean it is to disassemble the bike and clean one piece at a time.

The guy in the video had some tires with impressive wet grip.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I've pressure washed my bike every week for 7 years and >87,000 miles. I keep the pressure low and the jet away from sensitive items (not just bearings).

It's like everything in this life - do it properly or regret it.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Hydrofluric acid isnt that good for people and other living things.
https://www.carwash.org/docs/default-source/safety-resources/hf-study.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Also, I am not so sure it is good for connectors and sensors. Also....

"Pressure washing a modern car's engine:(or in our case, a motorcycle full of electronics: Chris) A grimy engine that runs properly is much better than a clean engine that won't -- which is what you risk if you force jets of water past rubber seals and into the sensitive electronics that are fitted to all modern, computer-controlled engines. There's a reason for the hood (and all those protective coverings). They're there to prevent moisture and contaminants from wreaking havoc with the sensors, wiring harnesses, sending units and other components that like to be sprayed with water about as much as your typical house cat. Excess moisture can short-out electrical parts, cause intermittent malfunctions (including stalling for no reason, hard-starting, rough-running) and make dashboard "check engine" light flash (or stay on) for no apparent reason."

Top Bottom