[How To] Installing Triumph fork gaitors

Bike
Honda NT700V
Since the stock fork protectors don't, really, I replaced them with gaitors from a Triumph Scrambler P/N T2040349.

Procedure:
1. Remove front wheel.

2. Remove fender.

3. Use a drift to tap up fork protectors until they come loose.

4. Loosen top and bottom bridge pinch bolts on one side only.

5. Slide fork tube down out of bridge.

6. Lift fork protector off and slip fork gaitor on.

7. Slide the fork tube back into the bridge and insert the axle to help keep things aligned. Align the top of the fork tube with the top of the upper bridge. The cap will be just above the bridge. Make it look like the undisturbed side.

8. Torque the bottom bridge bolt to 39 Nm/29 lb-ft. Torque top bridge bolt to 23 Nm/17 lb-ft.

9. Slide the gaitor up to the bottom bridge and secure it with a plastic cable tie. Then pull the bottom of the gaitor over the top of the slider and secure it.

10. Remove the axle and do the other tube the same way.

11. Reinstall fender.

12. Reinstall wheel.

13. Ride off with a sh*t eating grin knowing you'll never have to replace your fork seals.

OP
OP
bicyclist
Bike
Honda NT700V
I've used gaiters on my bikes for years and haven't had to change fork seals. Bug splats and tiny stone digs on the tubes eventually wear away the seals. Gaiters protect the tubes from all that stuff. The Triumph ones fit perfectly and they're made in Japan!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[gaitors from a Triumph Scrambler P/N T2040349.]

If I order that p/n, will I get one or two gaiters?

OP
OP
bicyclist
Bike
Honda NT700V
[gaitors from a Triumph Scrambler P/N T2040349.]

If I order that p/n, will I get one or two gaiters?
One. About $25.

I wasted a lot of time looking for gaiters for my F800. You can find all kinds of stuff out there. There are wrap around neoprene covers, gaiters for dirt bikes, etc. The neoprene ones are cheap and easy to put on, but they don't do as good a job. The dirt bike ones are too long. Eventually, I found the Triumph ones, which fit perfectly. When I got the NT, I made a beeline for the Triumph dealer, part number in hand, and ordered a set. They're the right diameter top and bottom and the right length.

Tonymorr

I just looked into these and found what looks like an accessory kit with two boots and clamps from Triumph. P/N A9638018 list price $45

There's also the boots for the Kawasaki W650 which some of the Triumph guys are using because they are heavier duty. P/N 49006-1335 $49.80 each!!! Plus the needed clamps. I think I'll go with the Triumph variety myself.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Getting close to changing out the original tires at ~9000 miles and thought it would be a good time to also install some Triumph P/N A9638018 gaiters. Found them on eBay (search for "A9638018") for $42 including shipping. Thanks for the great idea that is real improvement in appearance and protecting fork seals. I have Kawasaki W650 and thought those gaiters would be great also, but the cheapest I could find was $80/pair +shipping ....so Triumph it is.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Go to the top of the Thread, Chuck. There are your pix.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
If you put these on it is my recommendation that there be a way for air and moisture to enter and escape. If it's not there already, drill a small hole (like 1/8 inch dia.) at the bottom of the bellows area, at the rear of each fork tube. This is to allow air to enter and condensed water vapor to drain out. It's not clear if this part has that built in.

I've put these on two of my bikes and the first version of the bellows didn't have it. As the forks compressed the bellows, well, bellowed out. And when the local barometric pressure increased they collapsed looking kind of ugly. And when I opened them up there was condensation on the upper tubes. Drilling these holes made these non-problems.

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT700VA
I joined the Triumph Gaitor Club this weekend, thanks for the lead Bicyclist!
gaiter.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom