connector issues

dlb

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Contact cleaner - - universal fix-it

three summers in a row I encountered a MIL 19 ( ckp sensor ) when trying to re-start the bike after a brief stop... all three times the air temp was around 100 degrees, thought it might be heat related. rolling the throttle allowed me start up so I was never left stranded. After the third time I checked the ckp sensor per the manual – checked out okay. Sprayed the connectors with contact cleaner no more MIL 19. earlier this year a MIL 1 ( map sensor ) appeared. Checked the sensor per the manual – checked out okay. Sprayed the connectors with contact cleaner no more MIL 1. …. horn stopped working - sprayed the switch, sound; headlight intermittent after starting – sprayed the switch, light… seems to be a pattern forming here.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...After the third time I checked the ckp sensor per the manual – checked out okay...]

The resistance range they give for components is often so wide that its useless.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I agree that it is likely that many problems are connection issues and not component issues.

With today's technology components are fairly reliable (of course there are always exceptions) so I always like to check/clean the connections before sourcing and replacing components.

Seagrass

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I see you are from VA Beach area. Maybe the proximity to the sea air is having an effect on the contacts. I know that I had switch housing issues right after riding back in the first rain after a snow event. There was still lots of chemicals on the road and it was pretty punishing on the contacts for the buttons.

Contact cleaner - - universal fix-it

three summers in a row I encountered a MIL 19 ( ckp sensor ) when trying to re-start the bike after a brief stop... all three times the air temp was around 100 degrees, thought it might be heat related. rolling the throttle allowed me start up so I was never left stranded. After the third time I checked the ckp sensor per the manual – checked out okay. Sprayed the connectors with contact cleaner no more MIL 19. earlier this year a MIL 1 ( map sensor ) appeared. Checked the sensor per the manual – checked out okay. Sprayed the connectors with contact cleaner no more MIL 1. …. horn stopped working - sprayed the switch, sound; headlight intermittent after starting – sprayed the switch, light… seems to be a pattern forming here.

Top Bottom