Confused

New owner of 2010. I'm looking for advice as to best course of action. I want to have storage for full face helmet. Also when traveling enough storage for 10 days "stuff". Either or ? The expanded larger sidebar covers or top box. If top box looks like Givi is good choice / what do I need to order ? Box plus mounting bracket ? Any suggestion as to best place to purchase.

Thank u/ Bear

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
Bear, I took the "All of the above" approach. My NT is now sporting the large side covers from David Silver Spares so the left can now house my Shoei GT Air (Large) if I remove the Sena. I also added a Givi V46 topbox with brake light kit and the necessary mount so I have a place for my laptop bag when commuting. Camping equipment including sleeping bag reside in a roll-top dry sack that straps to the back seat and provides a decent backrest, while smaller incidentals ride in my tankbag. Easy - peasy!

Cheers,

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
The larger panniers are handy for everyday use. May not be enough for 10 day trip depending on how you pack.
The big lids will fit a full face in the left side.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got the big pannier lids from David Silver Spares and a Givi top box (I've got the Maxia). I got the top box from Twisted Throttle. They tell you what you need to mount it.

I've also got some bags from Twisted Throttle that lets me carry my camping stuff. I usually don't try to carry more stuff than a week's worth. Then I hit the laundromat. On my Epic Ride, I carried clothes in my left pannier and then what I was carrying into the motel (or tent or wherever I was sleeping) in a small duffle bag I bought from Walmart. I also carry my netbook and coffee thermos in the top box too. I save the right pannier for tools, tire repair stuff, my bike cover, etc.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I also have a 2010. You definitely want to have the large lids--with the red bike, any colour works. I have silver lids. Have also seen black ones. They only come in red, silver, and possibly black (the ones I saw may have been painted). Contact Twisted Throttle for a catalog. They only sell quality stuff, provide great service, and stand behind their products. You might want to check out their Denali driving lamps. Enjoy your NT--you won't find a better bike.

OP
OP
I'm Back/ Call Twisted Throttle to order GIVI 47 Top Box. They were unable to tell what mounting adapter I needed/ THUS HELP !!!!!

Bear

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
When I bought my bike in '10, Twisted Throttle told me I needed this as well as an adapter:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-alu-rack-toprack-honda-nt700v-deauville-black

I've always wondered if I really did or not, but I've had it for as long as I've had the bike.

And, now that I think about it, when I bought the bike, I mounted a Shaq top box before changing to a Givi when I was at Twisted Throttle toward the end of my Epic Ride. I had two Shaq boxes and the bottom broke out of both of them. I didn't lose either of them (managed to bungee them to the bike). TT told me I was overloading them, but I had carried that much stuff and more in a Givi before I bought the Shaq and have carried that much and more in the Givi which replaced the Shaq(s).

OP
OP
Thank you/ This what I thought but when call Twisted Throttle they said they could not guarantee that was correct/ Jeez Bear

Bike
2010 NT700V
There is a red top box with the mounting plate and hardware for sale in the classified section on this forum. Not sure of the size, but it looks new. BB

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
here is a alternate idea for you;with the large lids you have the space to put your valuable items in a secure place; /then indtead of a top box, ( I had a 55 ltr box snf it still left me wanting for room) a LARGE size luggage rack, wide and long with good tie down hook points will allow you to packmore items / bags and tie them down securely, ROK tie down straps are the best bang for your buck. Also you can gedt a pair of large Panier bags from Aerostitch, they will mount over the top of your fuel tank, you will need to devise a way to tie them down to your frame, they each will easily hold a gallon thermous and still have room for a lot more items stuffed around them, get the large tank bag , ///////////////ask Phil ////////////////t what he has as it is a very good one & I have forgotten the model name/#.When I had a Goldwing I had a standard top box on it with a luggage rack on top of it, I carried a very large soft case or two strapped to it as well as a 4.5 gallon /a//u/x fuel tank mounted over the pinion seat area and also carried soft luggage strapped onto it. I always put a large waterproof covedr over all of my soft bags and strapped them into placemaking it rather difficult for anyone to get into them. I kept a large bike cover as the last item to put on top and when parking for nite I would ofte just covedr the bike and use some tiedown straps to secure the bike cover and grab the small ober no]ite bag with a change of cloths fand personal items and prescription drugs to go to room with me.

Eldon

Bike
2010 NT700V
When touring I have the large lids and the 46L top box, leaving room to put your helmet in takes a lot of storage space. I've toured for two weeks and everything fits inside the side bags and top box, so when you park all your gear is inside. I use a helmet lock similar to the one on the link below. Wish I could find the one I have online, I bought it second hand and there is no name on it. But this one could be used as shown bolted to your license plate bracket. I installed mine between the rear rack and the Givi Monokey adapter plate. I'm sure you could use this bracket the same way by drilling a couple holes in the plate. https://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-4248-License-Plate-Helmet/dp/B002F85VQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499803144&sr=8-1&keywords=helmet+lock+brackets
PS if it's raining or you leave your bike in an area where someone could steal things, take your helmet with you.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I always put my helmet over my GPS, which is mounted with a RAM ball screwed into the Motorcycle Larry bar clamp. I used a similar GPS mount and put the helmet over the GPS during the 11 years I rode my two Kawasaki Concours. The only time I've ever lost anything off of the bike while its been parked was one night when I was at work at the church in Ft Morgan. I came out and someone had stolen my five-year-old Nolan helmet, leaving the $500 GPS right there.

I had been ready to buy a new helmet anyway and they gave me an excuse to jump on that right away.

Sometimes when I'm traveling, I'll put my Geeza cover on the bike to hide my tank bag and helmet.

OP
OP
Thank u / Thank U Have ordered both Givi top box from Twisted Throttle and Larger Panniers. I believe I finally sorted out the Givi issue tnx to all here. Rather simple but I was getting mixed info from suppliers. The Larger Panniers are out of stock but have back ordered (2-3 months). As I said originally over last 40 years have more than a few cycles BMWs, Hondas, Triumphs, and yes even Harleys. I must say the NT700 at age 70 is a great bike and I will likely trick out to the point of silly. Hey, just a new adventure. Next cruise control, heated grips, and maybe a better seat. I like to putter and just finishing up restoration 1927 Model T, Garage has more than a few other toys. Again, great group here !

Bear

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thank u / Thank U Have ordered both Givi top box from Twisted Throttle and Larger Panniers. I believe I finally sorted out the Givi issue tnx to all here. Rather simple but I was getting mixed info from suppliers. The Larger Panniers are out of stock but have back ordered (2-3 months). As I said originally over last 40 years have more than a few cycles BMWs, Hondas, Triumphs, and yes even Harleys. I must say the NT700 at age 70 is a great bike and I will likely trick out to the point of silly. Hey, just a new adventure. Next cruise control, heated grips, and maybe a better seat. I like to putter and just finishing up restoration 1927 Model T, Garage has more than a few other toys. Again, great group here !

Bear
Don't be surprised if you get the big pannier lids sooner rather than later (if you ordered them from David Silver Spares here in the US. They very often get the lids way quicker than they expect them.

The best deal on a real cruise control, rather than a throttle lock, is from Gary Murphy at Murph's Kits. (https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=369)

Murph started his business by marketing a stainless steel allen-head replacement fastener kit for the C10 Concours which came from the factory with Phillips-head screws made out of chocolate. He's grown the business since then into a great source for all kinds of things...if you ride a Connie.

I had had the CSC vacuum-operated cruise control on my Connie and it worked great but I was dubious about the NT pulling enough vacuum to maintain speed up any kind of grade. I'm lucky enough to have a good friend who has been willing to work out the installation of the Rostra in my NT. Unfortunately, we didn't document everything we should have, but it has worked great for over 80,000 miles on my bike.

There's a plug-and-play cruise control from Australia that also works very well and it's easier to figure out the installation of that one, but it's expensive -- $1008AU, plus you have to buy an electronic actuator for $130AU. It had originally been a vacuum-actuated arrangement, but the molds for the actuator broke and now they only sell it if you buy the electronic actuator.

The Rostra cruise control and the Russell DayLong saddle are my two favorite farkles.

Top Bottom