Wheel balancer: Need new axle/rod. Who would make such a thing ?

ett

I've been doing my own tire changes and balancing since around 2000.
Back then I bought a Metzeler Wheel Balancing Stand:

e994860.jpg

It has served me well for the past 16 years.

But the last time I changed a tires. I had a hell of a time getting them to balance.
After about 1/2 hour trying to balance a tire. I realized the balancer's axle/rod was bent.
After which I then remembered that the previous time balancing tires.
Upon removing the last tire off the balancer. The tire bumped the shelf above my workbench; causing the tire, wheel, and balancer axle to slip out of my hands and slam back onto the balancer.
So I assume that's when it got bent.

I thought it would be possible to simply buy a new axle.
But Metzeler no longer makes wheel balancers.
And other companies selling similar balancers will only sell the axle WITH cones for nearly half the cost of a whole new balancer.

I've searched places like Home Depot for rods that could be used as a replacement. But found nothing.

Anyone know where to find a replacement rod or what type of business would such a rod ?

Thanks;
--ET

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
No-Mar is the name of the company and they make their own tire changer, balancers, plus they sell parts. I have one of their recent handouts and the 18" long, smooth balancer rod is $15 plus you'll probably have to buy the small cones for another $15. Maybe your old cones would work but you need to call them and get the O.D. of the smooth rod. They're great people! (636) 326-5999.

Last edited:
Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I improvise, the way I balance I use the axle set on edge of the workbench and the other end resting on the back of the workbench stool, been doing it that way for years, works for me.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
An axle like that sounds easy to replace. All you need is a hard smooth rod. Getting the right size is tricky. That is why some of my projects don't ever get done.
If you can't get from NO Mar, you might try Ebay. I have bought cut off end stainless steel before. Hopefully you will find one easily.

Brad

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Any machine shop will be able to make one exactly as you need. But that might cost as much as a new balancer.
Harbor Freight has a balancer for $39.99 Item #98488

Last edited:
Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I improvise, the way I balance I use the axle set on edge of the workbench and the other end resting on the back of the workbench stool, been doing it that way for years, works for me.
I should have made more clearly, I use the axle from the motorcycle.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I've been using dyna beads for years to balance all my tires. Not as cheap but way easier and always perfect balance

OP
OP
ett

ett

OP here,

Thanks for the replies everyone !
Looks like No-Mar is going to be my best option.
And I will have to buy both rod and cones.
The rod that I need to replace is 3/8" inch; while the No-Mar rod is 1/2".

Top Bottom