Ctx700 info

Bike
bike#61=2010NT700,silver
Anyone compare CTX700 to NT? Saw a nice looking CTX on sale for a nice price but not sure it would be an improvement over my NT.
It seems to sit lower than the NT and the pegs are more forward. Don't think that would be beneficial to my back.
Any information would be welcome. Thanks

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have only sat on one and never ridden one, but based upon what I have seen and the specs and the riding position, I don't think it is in anyway an improvement upon the NT. IMHO, it would be a retrograde move.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I agree with Mike. I sat on one and didn't like the ergonomics. I don't see how you could carry as much stuff and the weather protection doesn't look anywhere near as good.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
CTX700 is a nice machine, but NOT an NT. Protection, chain, ergonomics, are much different. You can also find a NT for a lot less I think.

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
I drove one thinking that it would be a substitute for my NT.
I like the seat, the engine and the fuel economy is great.
I did not like the "feet forward" riding position or the chain.

However, I ended up with the NC700 with the DCT transmission.
I got an upright position and that slow-turning engine.
I am stuck with the chain and an uncomfortable seat.

I kept the NT though.
Neither newer model is really a replacement for the nice NT700.

My local Honda dealer (pusher? enabler?) says that Honda is selling the CTX700 DCT to "older fellows" who want the nicer saddle and the easy-to-manage transmission. He reports that the DCT is the only CTX version Honda is selling in 2017. He marked the non-DCT down a lot. You can probably get a great deal.

Dave

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
My neighbors wife had one (he rides an ST1300) and he convinced us to switch on a ride we took. She preferred the NT and so did I.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The NT chassis and bodywork (with exception of saddlebag latch design!) is fine but it badly needs a new design engine. The engine in the NT700V is an outgrowth of the 1988-89 650 HawkGT and it was great at the time but now long in the tooth. At the time of the NT's US intro, I wished that Honda offered a lowered version as BMW has done with certain models and not seeing that coming, I took things into my own hands!

Comparing the NT with the CTX700 is really apples vs oranges so there is little crossover other than both being Honda motorcycles. The CTX has a low seat height with fairly low CG which will be appreciated as we grow older and weaker! :)

ps. adventure, naked, or entry level bikes seem to be the new direction so making a new, fully fared "mid-size" sport tourer doesn't seem to be in the cards. Yamaha is about to introduce an smaller Super Tenere with engine from FZ-07.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Based on how many miles one can put on an NT700V I expect mine will take me into my 70's and retirement. My next two wheeled vehicle will most likely be a scooter for local errand running and Sunday joy riding. My days of daily commuting and long trips will most likely be over as the wife and I enjoy our retirement together.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
One of the members in my local historic motorcycle club has a CTX700 and loves the bike. He is probably in his mid to late sixties and he often rides this bike on club runs.

The riding position looks uncomfortable to be (feet forward) but it does not worry him and it certainly does not slow him down. I cannot remember if he has the DCT (auto) version or the six speed.

Seagrass

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
The NT chassis and bodywork (with exception of saddlebag latch design!) is fine but it badly needs a new design engine. The engine in the NT700V is an outgrowth of the 1988-89 650 HawkGT and it was great at the time but now long in the tooth. At the time of the NT's US intro, I wished that Honda offered a lowered version as BMW has done with certain models and not seeing that coming, I took things into my own hands!

Comparing the NT with the CTX700 is really apples vs oranges so there is little crossover other than both being Honda motorcycles. The CTX has a low seat height with fairly low CG which will be appreciated as we grow older and weaker! :)

ps. adventure, naked, or entry level bikes seem to be the new direction so making a new, fully fared "mid-size" sport tourer doesn't seem to be in the cards. Yamaha is about to introduce an smaller Super Tenere with engine from FZ-07.
Sounds like BMW's Rotax 800 motor (90 hp in GT) is going to a thinner 900 cc design, ride by wire. The F900GS will be the first bike with that motor. I would like to see what the F900GT would be like. I like my F800GT, but could use cruise and an adjustable windscreen.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
The NT has a stable mate! I picked up a 2015 CTX700N DCT ABS a few days ago, it's really a nice machine, but it's quite different than the NT in many ways. Although I haven't had much time to spend with it due to weather here's my initial impressions:

Pros: The long-stroke engine is very torquey, buttery smooth, and seems well matched to the bike's role. The DCT takes a bit getting used to with all the switches on the grips, but shifts are quick and seem to happen at the RPM's you expect them to based on throttle, and you can command up/down shifts with the paddles even in the auto modes. I've driven several cars with DCTs and wasn't impressed, but Honda's application of the DCT in this motorcycle is very nicely done. Grab a handful of throttle from a dead stop it gets up to highway speed no sweat as the DCT does it's thing. Way to go big Red! Riding position seems fine, a bit more upright than the NT (I'm 5' 11") and the seat is similar in comfort to the stock NT seat. The CG is very low, making for easy handling and maneuvering around the garage.

Cons: Forward pegs, but it may just be me not being familiar with them. Anyways, my wife will be the primary rider of the CTX, and she was fine with the pegs. I've got to familiarize myself with o-ring chain maintenance, perhaps someone here can give me some pointers on that subject. No center stand, and no place to put one. Do I need to get a rear wheel stand?

Overall, a very fine bike.

Brad

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I've got to familiarize myself with o-ring chain maintenance, perhaps someone here can give me some pointers on that subject. No center stand, and no place to put one. Do I need to get a rear wheel stand?
A chain drive bike with no center stand is a dumb idea. I had a Versys 650 - same thing. Now I have a Tiger 800 (with center stand) and don't mind the chain maintenance. A wheel jack is a good idea, but won't help you when you are away from home.

I try to spray my chain with some wax base lube at every tank of gas if the chain is fairly clean. I clean the chain when it becomes dirty. That might be 500 to 3,000 miles depending on conditions. Cleaning involves removing chain guard and sproket guard (4 screws), spraying with kerosene (or solvent), brushing with a "grunge brush", then rinsing with more kerosene and wiping dry. Then after drying I spray with a new coat of wax chain lube. I use a piece of cardboard inserted vertically between the chain and wheel to contain the spray and another one on the floor to catch the drippy mess from the kerosene. A simple spraying takes 5 minutes. I like to let the wax dry as much as possible before riding. A cleaning takes about a 20 minutes and I like to let it dry overnight before spraying new lube.

Wax base lube and teflon lube seems to collect less dust and debris. Petroleum based lube seems to last better in wet conditions but accumulates grime. I think the wax base stuff lasts much longer than the teflon stuff. Just my opinion. Others swear by other products.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
All the Manufacturers build what they think we will buy. Nobody bought the NT. Well a few of us but not enough to make it worthwhile to them.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
A good riding pal has a new CTX700/w DCT and he has bought a genuine Honda centerstand so perhaps the centerstand lugs were added to the frame for 2017?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I was mistaken. It was a CTX centerstand from an accessory maker in Japan.

Top Bottom