Uneven tire wear

Ntamer

Just replaced the rear tire and besides the usual flat spot in the center the left side of the tire was considerably more worn than the right. Found no play in the wheel bearings or swing arm bushings.
My question for the group is about the collar that's in the right side swing arm. All the videos and info I've seen show that collar fully seated with the shoulder flat against the inside of the swing arm. I found mine before disassembly positioned with the shoulder of the collar about 1/4 " or more to the left, not against the swing arm and the pinch bolt tightened down holding it in that position. This would have had the wheel pushed a little left.
Would like to know if everyone who's removed his own wheel found that collar fully seated or not. I believe that may have been the cause of my uneven tire wear.
Thoughts?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
This is not an answer to your question about the collar position. The position of the collars and sapcers is very important on re-assembly of the bike. Improper re-assembly by one shop cost Phil Trarman a new final drive.

But one common reason for more tire wear on the left side is that most roads are crowned and slope to the outside. Almost all tires are going to show more wear on the left side because of this alone.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
A picture would help but from your description it sounds like it was installed correctly.
From the manual:
1. Tighten the axle nut to spec torque.
2. Pump swingarm up and down to seat the axle.
3. Tighten pinch bolt to torque.

The axle needs to be tightened against the spacers to keep wheel in place and not moving side to side. The pinch bolt is then tightened without squeezing the swingarm together and allowing the swingarm bushings to stay aligned.

Brad

Bike
2010 NT700V
I bought my 2010 NT used with 19,000+ miles. I had it in for valve adjustment and new tires last Fall, I really like the PR4s'. They found the wheel bearings were really warn. They thought that the former owner may have used a pressure washer to clean the bike. If sprayed full bore on the bearing/axle blows the grease out. It was only about $50.00 for replacements. I would think that could affect tire wear. BB

OP
OP

Ntamer

Ok, reviewed the FSM instructions and had assembled and tightened everything in the correct order which is also the steps posted by ATPRKNT. The only thing I didn't do was pump the swing arm up and down before tightening the pinch bolt and caliper bracket bolt. So today I loosened everything up and after tightening the axle nut I sat on the seat and bounced the suspension up and down( I can't imagine how you'd pump the swing arm from the bottom with the shock attached).
After tightening everything else the collar in question was in the same position as I first saw it before disassembly so that must be its natural position.
As for the left side tire wear it must be due to the crown in the road or I'm pounding the left hand turns way harder than the rights.
We'all see how this tire wears. Thanks for the replies all

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
NTamer, I think every tire I've ever had wore slightly more on the left side than on the right. I'm in agreement with those who think it's the crown of the road.

OP
OP

Ntamer

this is the first time I've changed the tire on this bike myself. I've not noticed uneven wear on my others. This is the heaviest bike I own so I suspect the crown would have mor effect on it

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
We drive on the LHS of the road here on OZ and many of our roads have significant cambers or crowns for water drainage.
I have noticed that on both bikes the tyres wear a little faster on the RHS than the LHS.
Wheel alignment settings on many cars here need to be fudged a little bit to stop them pulling to the left all the time.
Also, as we ride on the left here, LH turns are usually a lot slower (tight Right-Angle and near vertical) than RH turns which are usually a faster larger arc and leaning over.
Naturally you expect more wear on the RHS than the LHS.
For you guys, riding on the RHS of the road it would be the opposite.
Make sense?

Macka

Top Bottom