Demand for NT700V

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
Those of you that are still on this forum and have sold your NT700, was it difficult to sell or take a long time, did you get a decent price? I am considering selling mine and moving back to HD and just curious how listing on this forum has worked for others.
Thanks.:smile:

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
You could ask Junglejim about selling the NT, he had a nice ride for a long time on NT-O and sold it very cheap.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Those of you that are still on this forum and have sold your NT700, was it difficult to sell or take a long time, did you get a decent price? I am considering selling mine and moving back to HD and just curious how listing on this forum has worked for others.
Thanks.:smile:
It was difficult to sell.
I didn't get a real good price.
It took 5 months to sell.

I made a deal with a salesman to trade it in on a new Triumph. I wanted $3,500 but only got $3.000 for it. Then when I went to pick up the new bike and deliver the NT the sales manager overruled the salesman and lowered the trade-in price to $2,200. That incited a big argument and I wouldn't sell it for that. It was a 2011 ABS model with 53K miles.

I advertised it on Cycletrader, Craigslist, NT and ST forums, locally, and parked it on US Hwy 2 with a "For Sale" sign. I got about 6 offers to buy the Russell Day Long Saddle and not a single call about buying the bike - not even to ask a question or argue about the price. I sold it to a member of the ST forum who was looking for something smaller than his ST to ride around town.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Motorcycles in general are a buyers market right now. The days of selling your Harley for more than you bought it for are long gone.

OP
OP
Electraclyde
Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
I am not concerned regarding resale value of Harley. I am concerned regarding ease of selling an NT 700. Local Honda dealer will not take an NT700 in on trade, not even on a CTX1300. Local Harley dealer also will not take an NT700 on trade. I do not have garage space for 2 motorcycles.
Thanks for the realistic responses to my question.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
To be fair I must admit that if I were selling a snowmobile, 4-wheeler, or boat it would have been easier. Those other recreational vehicles sell much better around here.

Also I live in a pretty depressed area. The top 7 employers in my county are schools, county government, health care providers, federal government, state government, casions, etc.. Manufacturing is about #8 on the list. Logging used to be very high, but mechanization has eleiminated most of those jobs. We don't have a single foot of railroad track or a traffic light in our county. Pretty rural.

A good place to check is to look at the auctions on eBay. Lots of NTs sell for between $2,000 and $3,000.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I got extremely lucky. My 2010 NT700V had 20,000 miles on it giver or take. In October 2013 I was given $8400 in trade for it when I got my Trophy SE. I figured that I would have been lucky to sell it out right at $4500. He really must have wanted to move the Triumph. Now of course the Triumph has discontinued the TTSE and the resale on them is very soft. I figure at 65 years old it's the last sport tourer I'll own so I'm not worried.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I figure at 65 years old it's the last sport tourer I'll own
I know you have the best of intentions Dan, but I might be inclined to bet against that outcome. I think I remember telling my wife the same thing in about 2001. That was 4 bikes ago. So that puts me on my 4th "last bike" at 74 years old.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
You mean you CAN have more than one last bike!!?? Hot damn!! Oh, Marianne..... :wink:

Mike

OP
OP
Electraclyde
Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
My NT is my 2nd "last bike" and there will very likely soon be a 3rd. And I am only 71 years young and closing in on 72

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I figure mine is worth about zip to anyone but me so as long as it runs well I am keeping it. Twice now I have had "issues" starting tours and have had to go home and switch bikes. If it gets major issues It will go, though. Sold my Connie C10 for $500 last year and it was in great shape. Just wanted it to go to a home that appreciated it. So goes the NT. They made the C10 for 20 years and the only one I saw on this 10 day trip was at Oshkosh. If I get a VFR800 and an adventure touring bike, even the NT May GO! But not this year.... ;)

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
BTW, I have often wondered if someone really needed the money out of their NT if they could make much more money out of it by parting it out. Big lids, sensors, tank, plastic..etc. It would take lots of work and time but it might be an option. Oh, and Phil would buy the rear end....

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
My NT is my 2nd "last bike" and there will very likely soon be a 3rd. And I am only 71 years young and closing in on 72
I am 68 and before I bought the FJR, I thought the NT would be my last bike. But now I see no reason to hold back from buying others. What is there to loose?
I know plenty of folks riding who are in their 70s.

jojococomo

I've been trying to sell my NT for 4 months now.
I was offered $3,000 for it and turned it down.
After reading through this thread I now wish I had accepted it. šŸ˜¬

It is an awesome bike and I enjoyed riding it for 18K miles.

I bought a bigger touring bike and really need to move the NT out of my garage.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
When ever you buy your most recent bike the previous bike becomes your last bike. Therefore the number of last bikes is unlimited.
I am aware of the numerical sequencing you refer to. I am concerned about the "permission" sequence with regard to the missus.

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
My youngest son was still a teenager and he was seeking to buy another gun. My wife, who opposed, asked "Mark, how many guns do you need?" His answer was great - "Just one more Mom". Perfect answer I thoughgt.

That can be applied elsewhere. But spousal approval is still just that.

Top Bottom