Homeward bound

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Just an Update. I am on my way back from Oshkosh and at Buffalo WY. Saw the Pioneer Car Museum today and tomarrow I see Fort Phil Kerney, The Fetterman and Wagonbox battlefields, And the Custer Battlefield. Home Tuesday and will try and get the crank angle sensor installed this comming weekend. Then off to a BMW ralley on Kootney Lake in Canada. I still have hopes of working in a trip to see Mt. Baker this season. Maybe before Reno Air Races. Lots of good pics of "antique" bikes at Oshkosh. It was a record year for attendence due to perfect weather, 2 ea B-29s, 14 B-25s, lots of Military planes like B1,B2, Blue Angles, yada yada yada. Thanks to Jungle Jim for keeping the mosquitos in Wisconsin.
Chris the Tourist

The B1-B with full burners at dusk during the night airshow was awesome! So was listening to Jimmy Dollittle's copilot lecture at 101 years young and the cheif test pilot of the F-35 Project lecture was great. Got lots of pics of his slides.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Kfp-G4NWyJs/maxresdefault.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krQeUeqTO4k

My favorite! watch at 1 min 15 sec.
https://youtu.be/Kfp-G4NWyJs?t=69

Last edited:

tawilke46

I watched the EAA streaming the entire time looking for Waldo aka Coyote Chris. Lots of people but no Chris in sight. Looked for a red FJR with a toilet on the back.
That place is huge. Can't believe how many airplanes the cram onto that field at one time.
Shoot I enjoyed watching the live videos!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
You would've loved being in the USAF, especially on the flight line. The F-111's at RAF Lakenheath were awesome.

Chris
The F111 is still an awesome plane. I think the Aussies were still using them till a few years ago...

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Indeed we were, I think they have all be de-commissioned now, top speed of Mark II plus always impressed me.

Seagrass

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've probably told this story before on the Forum, so, if you've read it, just skip it.

Back in '79, I had learned to fly and was working in the oilfield in northern California. Part of my sales territory was western Nevada, where there was a good bit of geothermal drilling going on. Some of that was in the Dixie Valley, north of the Navy's bombing range. I would fly into Fallon's municipal airport, drop $10 in the coffee can nailed to the front of the hangar, and rent their Pinto to drive to the drilling rigs in Dixie Valley and the ones that were up nearer to Lovelock. Then I'd fill up the Pinto when I brought it back after driving 250-300 miles.

There were a couple of other oilfield salesmen who flew, and they gave me a hard time because I wouldn't fly up the Dixie Valley Road and land on it to make my calls. I told them I was a tad nervous about dinging up an airplane I'd rented, so I'd keep driving from Fallon.

One day, as I was going up Dixie Valley, I was looking east toward the Clan Alpine Mountain range and saw an F-111 come over the range, inverted and pull down along the western flank of the mountains, rolling back level, then come streaking across Dixie Valley about 50-100' above the valley floor and pull up as he got to the Stillwater Range on the west side of the valley. As he got near the top, he rolled inverted again, and pulled down over the summit to the west. I doubt if he ever showed up on the Navy's radar and I'm pretty sure that if I'd been flying up the road in a Cessna 172, I might not have looked like much more than a bug to him before he knocked me out of the sky.

The F-111 was indeed an awesome airplane!

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I've probably told this story before on the Forum, so, if you've read it, just skip it.
The F-111 was indeed an awesome airplane!
I served at an AF HQ with a pilot who had the distinction of having the most F-111/FB-111 flying time of any flyer. As I recall he held a low altitude speed record in the FB-111. It involved the paint burning off the wings and overheating the wings. The Aardvark is an incredible aircraft.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
10, 000 airplanes. Busiest airport in the world times 4. 30, 000 people camping out. A square mile of things to see and that is an understatement. I have two scooters just to get the mile from my on site camp to the gate.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
At Three forks MT. Hot and smokey. Passed a still burning fire at the side of I90. Fetterman and Custer battlefields very sobering. But great for a history buff. Enjoyed walking the interpretive trail around the Reno Benteen entrenchment. One rifle pit is original and not redug. In the 1980s a wildfire burned only 600 acres and exposed 2, 000 artifacts. There must be 1, 000s more.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I watched the EAA streaming the entire time looking for Waldo aka Coyote Chris. Lots of people but no Chris in sight. Looked for a red FJR with a toilet on the back.
That place is huge. Can't believe how many airplanes the cram onto that field at one time.
Shoot I enjoyed watching the live videos!
Best year ever. Cant wait to see attendance numbers. Watching 14 ea B-25s attack the field with dynomite gas bombs going off was very emotional after listening to Dolittle's copilot lecture. Will post my pic alblum later.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
What's your name on Facebook?
OK, I am confused. You sent me a friend request and I friended you back. I just sent you a PM on FB with my secret squirrel facebook name. I will send you the info here too .Chris

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
LOL! I thought you might already be a Facebook "friend." I just don't use Facebook very often and I never remember how it works.

I'm technologically at my limit with email.

Top Bottom