Thread: Lucky Day...

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Lucky Day...

Well it finally happened. My 25 years of bailing off of dirt bikes and a childhood of exiting bicycles off of home made jumps finally paid off. I was cruising at a pretty good clip on Highway 26 and come around a right hand sweeper and as I get ready for the lefty I see some serious gravel someone kicked up on the road. Years ago I lost a buddy who hit gravel at 35 mile an hour. This fact probably caused my to over react...and as I corrected I knew I was not going to make the turn. The road dropped off about a foot to some hard pan dirt and gravel. I did what I could but when I hit the edge of the road instinct took over. I decided to drop it on the left side so I put it down hard to make sure it didn't hook up and slam me the other direction. Ended up riding atop the bike while it was on it's side and as it came to a stop I rolled off and suffered some mild road rash (considering). For a reason I'm not so sure of I wasn't geared up as I usually am. Maybe it was the heat. Either way I was stupid and lucky at the same time...never again. A higher power saved me and looking at my bike today I am in awe of the mild damage.

I'm pretty sure I can fix the cosmetic damage but does anyone know the technical name of the brace? It obviously did it's job but it is bent and I am sure it is easier to replace than to try to bend back into shape. Any advice is appreciated...I've already beat myself up about the gear. Like I said...never again will I ride without being fully protected. Never did it before and I paid (a small) price.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    krenzcar88
    2010 NT700V
    Stockton, California

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Re: Lucky Day...

Ken, glad you're OK and that the bike didn't suffer much damage. The part you're talking about is available from many places. From Bike Bandit, this is the listing:

7: GUARD, L. ENGINE 50280-MEW-L01 1 (Ships within 1 to 2 business days) $83.02 (List price) $68.95 (Bike Bandit price)

The "7:" refers to the part as shown in the schematic view which can be found under "Frame" in the list of views of NT700V parts.
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 125,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

My Gallery

Glad it wasn't worse and glad you are OK.
    There are many things that can get out there. On my last fun ride, we had some pretty good rain and there were a few places with gravel washed into the road. The one that did surprise me after I rolled around a blind curve was a car in the middle of the road looking to be backing into a pullout area. At least I had room to respond.

Brad

krenzcar88
    (Threadstarter)
    2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Thanks Phil, I picked one up for 61 bucks...looks pretty basic to replace. I'll get back to you guys when my parts show up.

krenzcar88
    (Threadstarter)
    2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Yep...this caught me by surprise as it was brand new asphalt.

My Gallery

Same thing happened to me on a narrow 1-1/2 lane blacktop road. Got in a left hand curve did not notice loose rock and sand on the right side. Slid and low sided on the left side down into a four foot ditch. Boy that hurt.....me and the bike.

Glad you are ok
    TIM WILKES
    2010 NT700V "PhaNTom" #1470
    2009 DL650 Wee (Phantom II)
    Vietnam Veterans of America Life Member
    NT Only

krenzcar88
    (Threadstarter)
    2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Well I received my Left side Guard. It doesn't look too difficult to replace but does anyone have any idea how much of the cowl (etc) I will have to remove? Should I plan on just tearing the whole left side panels off? Thanks.

My Gallery

If you are referring to the black cover there is just one screw holding it on... Look under it.
    Wayne
    1987 Yamaha FJ1200
    AMA Life Member

krenzcar88
    (Threadstarter)
    2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Actually I need to replace the whole Left Guard(the black bracket under the black cover). It is bent.

+ New Posts