New member, New, "old stock" bike from a closing dealers inventory...

The mileage is correct.
Setup, but never sold.
All paint crayon marks in place (factory torque verification)
Seals all seem good so far.
No evidence of checking or dry rot on tires (will replace due to age)
Thanks in advance for all I hope to learn here!!

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Ok, what are you getting at.. is this a bike you're advertising... letting others know about... or you just got it?

If you're informing others the how about a link to the dealer in question.

If it's yours, congrats!

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Ah, just read your intro... Congrats on a BRAND NEW BIKE... great find!

OP
OP
Just happy to have found it & this forum (which I found thru Advrider.com)!
Hoping to keep it for a long time.
First order of business was to get a top case mount for a few different size Shad boxes I have already.

minty newness!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
New bikes sure look....well, how do I say this?....NEW, I guess.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
You have found a home here with a bunch of great people.
This winter when you have time, read as much of the tech forums here as you can stand. You will learn alot.
Make sure you import some big pannier lids or find some on ebay, etc before they are all gone. If you pan to tour.
How did you post your pics? I need a new "provider"

OP
OP
After loosing all my Photobucket images (I refuse to be held hostage), my kids turned me onto Imgur....faster and more user-friendly.
Now, where can those larger lids be sourced??

Bike
2010 NT700V
Large lids can be found from David Silver Spares, Google it. They are in the U.K., but they have a warehouse in Hanover, Pa. I live an hour from Hanover and picked mine up.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Congrats on the bike.
If you haven’t searched much NT info here yet I’ll offer a couple tips.
1. The pannier latches are a weak design. Read some info here. Some here have reinforced the mounts. Others gave up and added external latches. This applies to both regular and big lids.
2. Make sure drive splines are properly lubed whenever the rear wheel is removed. Moly 60 is the stuff.

Enjoy the ride,
Brad

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
After loosing all my Photobucket images (I refuse to be held hostage), my kids turned me onto Imgur....faster and more user-friendly.
Now, where can those larger lids be sourced??
Another tip for this winter's project! I got mine from Honda of Bournmouth but others may have them cheeper....

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Congrats on the bike.
If you haven’t searched much NT info here yet I’ll offer a couple tips.
1. The pannier latches are a weak design. Read some info here. Some here have reinforced the mounts. Others gave up and added external latches. This applies to both regular and big lids.
2. Make sure drive splines are properly lubed whenever the rear wheel is removed. Moly 60 is the stuff.

Enjoy the ride,
Brad
I would only add that I am very careful with my lids. When I open them, I use my knee or hand to press gently in on the lid while pulling the leven. When I gently close them, I try and align the latches. Others have installed "emergency lid opening rods or marked places in the black plastic where they could drill a 3/4 sized hole to release the mechanism. Still others have disabled the seat lock. Still others have replaced the piviot pins with removable bolts. I have a nice quality pair of case latches if need be.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
To this day, I still dont understand why the NT was a failure in the US. I am sure many didnt realize that you COULD get real pannier lids and real luggage racks, like I didnt till I found this forum and did some rearsearching. But it is clear that older, mentally matured seasoned riders with above average intellegence , many of which were pilots/and or military folk, like those here on this forum, saw its worth. Honda at times has made major marketing errors, like marketing the Honda Element to college kids as a "dorm on wheels"
Who bought it? Old men with hats and dog people who appreciated it for what it really was. A utility vehicle. The NT was no commuter bike for most.* As it was advertised. It is a wonderful middleweight mid sized touring bike for one person. Maybe if it had been introduced a few decades earlier.....the C10 Connie lasted 20 years and many here have owned it....but it seems its (and the NT's) time is past...except on this board!

*No offense to Daboo. He did use the NT for a commuter bike in Sunny Seattle. In most big cities in todays makeup of traffic, I wouldnt use a motorcycle for commuting, but If I was forced to, I would have a bike I could ride more agressively, not because I want to do that, but because IMHO sudden acceleration can be a life saver at times...something the NT doesnt exactly have.

Last edited:

Tonydtiger1971

Hi Coyote,

I would have to disagree a little. I use my NT for commuting every day that I can and find it more than powerful enough to get out of the way of most troubles that arise, of course I drop a gear to do it most of the time too. :)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Hi Coyote,

I would have to disagree a little. I use my NT for commuting every day that I can and find it more than powerful enough to get out of the way of most troubles that arise, of course I drop a gear to do it most of the time too. :)
I agree, I commute in Nashville traffic daily and I find the NT to be a perfect vehicle for it. Good brakes, acceleration, carrying capacity and excellent weather protection for all season commuting. I much prefer commuting in heavy traffic by motorcycle than by car and i have a pretty good commuter car in my Honda Fit.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
To this day, I still dont understand why the NT was a failure in the US. I am sure many didnt realize that you COULD get real pannier lids and real luggage racks, like I didnt till I found this forum and did some rearsearching. But it is clear that older, mentally matured seasoned riders with above average intellegence , many of which were pilots/and or military folk, like those here on this forum, saw its worth. Honda at times has made major marketing errors, like marketing the Honda Element to college kids as a "dorm on wheels"
Who bought it? Old men with hats and dog people who appreciated it for what it really was. A utility vehicle. The NT was no commuter bike for most.* As it was advertised. It is a wonderful middleweight mid sized touring bike for one person. Maybe if it had been introduced a few decades earlier.....the C10 Connie lasted 20 years and many here have owned it....but it seems its (and the NT's) time is past...except on this board!

*No offense to Daboo. He did use the NT for a commuter bike in Sunny Seattle. In most big cities in todays makeup of traffic, I wouldnt use a motorcycle for commuting, but If I was forced to, I would have a bike I could ride more agressively, not because I want to do that, but because IMHO sudden acceleration can be a life saver at times...something the NT doesnt exactly have.
I commute every day in 'sunny' Portland and it is FANTASTIC as a commuter! I also tour 3 seasons both 1 and 2 up. Absolutely love it

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Hi Coyote,

Thats because you are young! ;) Us seasoned citizens have slower reaction times. The time to downshift and accelerate on the NT to a safe place over just zoom could make the difference between a flat coyote and an old coyote....LOL!
But then I have a point and click interface on the FJR. In all seriousness, I have had commutes in my life when I had to work (ick!) that werent clogged with cars fighting for position like on a race track. And the NT would have been fine
compared to the old Japanese Iron I was riding. It saddens me to think of all the agressive /tired/mean spirited/arragont/distracted drivers out there on the packed interstates...May the force be with you. :)

Top Bottom