New member, New, "old stock" bike from a closing dealers inventory...

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I commute every day in 'sunny' Portland and it is FANTASTIC as a commuter! I also tour 3 seasons both 1 and 2 up. Absolutely love it
Gulp. I better not tell you that I would go 100 miles out of my way to avoid Portland commute traffic. I carry 100 lbs of indispensible equipment (ie junk) when I tour and I think that is about
the limit for 75 mph cruising in my very own very humble opinion. Once when Frosty and I were on our way to Spearfish, we were doing 75 or so and I tried to open the throttle but I had been
riding wide open (into a bit of a headwind) for the last 10 miles so there was nothing left in the horsepower tank. Frosty doesnt have a 3 ft tall windscreen and has a lowered NT and an aerodynamic body and has the good sense to not
carry TWO kitchen sinks. He had power left.
Still, compared to what I was riding 30,40 and 50 years ago, its a great bike and still is today.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I agree, I commute in Nashville traffic daily and I find the NT to be a perfect vehicle for it. Good brakes, acceleration, carrying capacity and excellent weather protection for all season commuting. I much prefer commuting in heavy traffic by motorcycle than by car and i have a pretty good commuter car in my Honda Fit.
Maybe Nashville has better drivers than the car aimers that inhabit the interstate between Spokane and Coure D'alene. I have more close calls there than riding all the way to Spearfish or down to Reno.....

I almost bought a Fit. It hadnt quite come out yet and I needed a commuter fun car so I bought the Toyota Matrix when you could still get the stick, a sun roof, and a 1.8 liter engine in the same car. I love it. May the force be with you also!

Bike
Silver NT700V
Even though I am now a Wing rider, here's two thoughts.

NT was a great commuter in Houston, TX. Also good traveler for 72,000 miles. Enjoy yours.

I use tinypic.com to host photos.

Keep the shiny side up.

Chuck

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I use the NT for a 70-mile round trip commute to work, most of it is rural roads with some stoplight action, as I get closer to the Chicago burbs. The NT really works well as a commuter, almost like it was designed for that. :rolleyes1:

Brad

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Even though I am now a Wing rider, here's two thoughts.

NT was a great commuter in Houston, TX. Also good traveler for 72,000 miles. Enjoy yours.

I use tinypic.com to host photos.

Keep the shiny side up.

Chuck

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
OK, I will look at tinypic too. Thanks

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Gulp. I better not tell you that I would go 100 miles out of my way to avoid Portland commute traffic. I carry 100 lbs of indispensible equipment (ie junk) when I tour and I think that is about
the limit for 75 mph cruising in my very own very humble opinion. Once when Frosty and I were on our way to Spearfish, we were doing 75 or so and I tried to open the throttle but I had been
riding wide open (into a bit of a headwind) for the last 10 miles so there was nothing left in the horsepower tank. Frosty doesnt have a 3 ft tall windscreen and has a lowered NT and an aerodynamic body and has the good sense to not
carry TWO kitchen sinks. He had power left.
Still, compared to what I was riding 30,40 and 50 years ago, its a great bike and still is today.
The first 1/3 of my 40 years riding was in the LA area.... Portland traffic is nothing! :cool: On our last trip to Victoria BC, we decided to ride through Seattle and cross the border at Blain, Wa. then take the ferry from Tsawwassen BC. I chose our leave time for 4:30 am which put us in seattle at about 7:30am. On a Wednesday. Yikes!!! Poor planning on my part :radleak:

Tonydtiger1971

I agree, I commute in Nashville traffic daily and I find the NT to be a perfect vehicle for it. Good brakes, acceleration, carrying capacity and excellent weather protection for all season commuting. I much prefer commuting in heavy traffic by motorcycle than by car and i have a pretty good commuter car in my Honda Fit.
Just went through Nashville today. Got some hot chicken at Hattie B's. Had Princes hot chicken last time. So far I've not been impressed by the heat.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The traffic here is nuts.Chris
Well, that about sums up my feelings. But I wanted to see the Seattle area once but I sure wasnt going to drive. So I went to see a buddy who lives in SeaTac and I paid the gas and he drove us all around. Undersea Warfare museum, USS Turner Joy, Seattle Museum of flight, ME262 factory, Pikes market, aquarium, Space Needle, Boeing factory. Now I am hearing rumors that everyone with a license plate that can be read is charged fees for traveling in certain lanes of the interstate during certain parts of the day....

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
Now I am hearing rumors that everyone with a license plate that can be read is charged fees for traveling in certain lanes of the interstate during certain parts of the day....

Toll lanes on the 405 and 167. There is also the 520 bridge, the 99 tunnel and the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Clearly marked and avoidable. I recently got a Good to Go account, I may use it today when I go to Ballard to pick up my R45 heads.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Toll lanes on the 405 and 167. There is also the 520 bridge, the 99 tunnel and the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Clearly marked and avoidable. I recently got a Good to Go account, I may use it today when I go to Ballard to pick up my R45 heads.
I had no idea it was this extensive....I will avoid any political discussion that will awaken the dragon of delete.....but all that waste makes me sad..... :(

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
Be happy you aren't living in SoCal. My brother and daughter live in Riverside county, everyone else n the family either lives in LA county or behind the Orange curtain. I spend a lot of time on the 91, because I stay at my brothers house. I finally broke down and got a Speed Pass transponder for the 91 HOV lanes. You either sit in bumper to bumper traffic for an extra 30-60 minutes, or you pony up the ~5 bucks to get through at what should be 'normal times'. When I have to be at LAX at 1030, I need to leave my brothers at 0630. I hate that.

I managed to not have to use the Good to Go today. I'm really happy I have self control. Ballard to Renton. One spot after the Fremont Bridge, we sat for at least 20 minutes and managed to move about 400 yds. I kept thinking to myself, if I pull out the Ruger and fire random shots in the air, would it get traffic moving????? Naw, people would freak out, and just run, leaving their cars parked where they are. hahahahaha I finally gave up on trying to make it to the freeway and drove through down town and southbound on roads I had never been on. It was an adventure!!!

But!!! I have my R45 heads, we got to Ikea and I picked up some new shop karts and parts boxes. And I am a happy camper.

Top Bottom