Riding to Grand Junction

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Tomorrow is the start of the festivities for the How the West Was Won Rally. It's a 34-hour rally and you have to ride at least 1190 miles to be a finisher. You also have to have at least 4,000 points. That's do-able, but will be interesting. Bonii are in two categories: Heaven and Hell. Heaven bonii are positive points; Hell, negative points. You have to have an equal number of bonii from each category. There are some combos that have positive point value and there are some wild card bonii that you can use to add a bonus you didn't get too.

Bonii are in Colorado, NM, WY, AZ, UT, and MT. I've had the bonus packet since Monday but have been too busy with Hospice work to spend much time with it. I have a rough idea of what I'm going to do and I'll spend some time tonight playing with options to see if I can make that work to make me a finisher.

I hadn't ridden any since I got back from Spearfish and wasn't sure I'd even ride to Grand Junction. I had decided that if I didn't feel comfortable riding, I'd drive over. And if I rode over, if I didn't feel comfortable with the notion of getting on and off the bike as many times as I would need to to do the Rally, I'd just hang out here while the others were out riding.

One of the things I was a little anxious about was what my orthopod would say when I saw him yesterday. But he put that anxiety to rest and said the joint was strong and I wouldn't hurt it by anything I did. I've been having a hard time going up and down stairs and he told me that might continue -- he's cut through my quadriceps three times and has messed with the joint that many times, too. But my physical therapist has been working on balance and strength and I could tell a HUGE difference from how it worked (or didn't) when we were in Spearfish. After I got to the motel here I got back on the bike to move it to my parking place and had a hard time getting it up off the sidestand because I was on a pretty good slope to the left. I had to move the bike before I could lift it.

I'm getting it lowered a week from today and I think that will help, too.

Oh, yeah -- this is a ride report. It was cool when I left Greeley at 11:15 and stayed cool through Denver. It got downright chilly at the Eisenhower Tunnel (11,268'), and then again on Vail Pass (about 10,900'). I was in a little rain in Glenwood Canyon and then again around Newcastle (west of Glenwood Springs, and hard rain between Rifle and DeBeque. Between DeBeque and GJ,. about 30 miles, the temperature climbed about 35 degrees. It was a pretty day and a nice ride. It felt good to be back on two wheels.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Phil enjoy this latest adventure, it is good to see you back riding and great to hear of your travels.

Seagrass

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Good to hear you're on the road again. Ride smart. But have some fun while doing it.
I'm envious because I had to turn down two offers to go to an "eclipse ride" because we are visiting relatives in OH then.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Good to hear you're on the road again. Ride smart. But have some fun while doing it.
I'm envious because I had to turn down two offers to go to an "eclipse ride" because we are visiting relatives in OH then.
Go on the eclipse ride! The relatives will be there when you get back!

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Go on the eclipse ride! The relatives will be there when you get back!
Maybe not Mike, it is a 75th wedding anneversary celebration. Some folks are old. Glad I'm not getting old, just you other people.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Well, this all sounds positive! I speculate /border to ///////////////////////border is still in your game plan??? Please give me a heads up by voice when you have a free moment/
Eldon

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Phil, I'll bet that you will really appreciate the lowered Dudley! Enjoy the ride!

Top Bottom