National Park Passes

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Even at $80, this is a great bargain, but it's crazy to pay $80 when you can get it for $10!! Don't wait!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I got mine at the Little Big Horn Memorial Battle Site for $10 and it was cheaper than normal admission!

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Someone I know bought a second one as insurance against losing the first. :tent3:

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Oh Oh, only one per person (by law)
Someone is in trouble.
From the NPS web site:

Since he did not have his pass with him for entry, he bought another. I say "in compliance" IAW above. He also told the Rangers what he was doing. No worries. :)
However, that may not pertain to Interagency Passes.

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
From the NPS web site:

Since he did not have his pass with him for entry, he bought another. I say "in compliance" IAW above. He also told the Rangers what he was doing. No worries. :)
However, that may not pertain to Interagency Passes.
True story...and we had to go all the way to Alaska for me to buy another! I bought a spare in the Name of T. Roosevelt, one of my heros, who saved so much of America's wild lands for me to enjoy.
If every American gave the NPS 10 extra bucks, maybe they could fix a few roads. My card has saved me hundreds so far....
Bless you, TR.
Roosevelt established the United States Forest Service, signed into law the creation of five National Parks, and signed the 1906 Antiquities Act, under which he proclaimed 18 new U.S. National Monuments. He also established the first 51 bird reserves, four game preserves, and 150 National Forests, including Shoshone National Forest, the nation's first. The area of the United States that he placed under public protection totals approximately 230,000,000 acres (930,000 km2).[157]

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Hmmm...really? Someone actually bought a 2nd pass? That sounds strangely familiar. It resembles someone who's present in the Forum at this very second.

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
... I bought a spare in the Name of T. Roosevelt, one of my heros, who saved so much of America's wild lands for me to enjoy ...
[157]
I think what my esteemed colleague means is: He honored TR by buying the Pass while using his own Driving License ... on the other hand he does have a mustache and glasses ...
:rofl1:

For further clarification, Chris could have entered the facility free along with me on my Pass, but chose to buy another Senior Pass for $10.

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I think what my esteemed colleague means is: He honored TR by buying the Pass while using his own Driving License ... on the other hand he does have a mustache and glasses ...
:rofl1:

For further clarification, Chris could have entered the facility free along with me on my Pass, but chose to buy another Senior Pass for $10.
I have pics of me in a TR hat mimicing TR... Bully! I do have the grin.....down pat.

If you ever have been to the Grand Canyon, you can thank TR....

Roosevelt Writings on Conservation
Theodore Roosevelt was the first president of the 1900s, a time of great expansion and development. His devotion to conserving our natural and cultural history helped establish a precedent at an important time in our nation's history. When many still considered our resources inexhaustible, Roosevelt saw them as something to protect and cherish:

It is also vandalism wantonly to destroy or to permit the destruction of what is beautiful in nature, whether it be a cliff, a forest, or a species of mammal or bird. Here in the United States we turn our rivers and streams into sewers and dumping-grounds, we pollute the air, we destroy forests, and exterminate fishes, birds and mammals -- not to speak of vulgarizing charming landscapes with hideous advertisements. But at last it looks as if our people were awakening.
The great preservationist John Muir, concerned over the destruction of western areas, invited President Roosevelt to camp in Yosemite National Park. After his trip, Roosevelt remarked: "It was like lying in a great solemn cathedral, far vaster and more beautiful than any built by the hand of man."

He provided a counter-balance to those who sought to exploit the natural world for personal gain. When Congress fought his efforts to create a national park at the Grand Canyon, Roosevelt used his executive power to protect it as a national monument:

In the Grand Canyon, Arizona has a natural wonder which is in kind absolutely unparalleled throughout the rest of the world. I want to ask you to keep this great wonder of nature as it now is. I hope you will not have a building of any kind, not a summer cottage, a hotel or anything else, to mar the wonderful grandeur, the sublimity, the great loneliness and beauty of the canyon. Leave it as it is. You cannot improve on it. The ages have been at work on it, and man can only mar it.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Wrong kind of glasses.

I know, "Everybody is a critic."

Seriously, though, I have been putting off getting one of these, but with the huge price increase coming, it's time for me to get off my butt.

Thanks for the reminder.

Bike
2011 Black NT700
I'm also guilty of buying a second pass.
And Teddy Roosevelt was a recipient to the Medal of Honor.
Ride safe and arrive alive

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I think the Old Fart pass is one of the best things the government has done for older people. I am currently staying at a C.O.E (in RV), the normal is only $25, but with the Pass $12.50. 30 amp (some 50) water, and a fantastic site. I stayed at one last week, and have another for Tuesday when I leave here at long Branch. You can not get any KOA that as nice as these sites. You can get a dump site for a little more, but I just empty as I leave.
What a bargain these campgrounds are. I think you can only stay 2 weeks, but usually there are many sites near so you can go from on to another.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I think the Old Fart pass is one of the best things the government has done for older people. I am currently staying at a C.O.E (in RV), the normal is only $25, but with the Pass $12.50. 30 amp (some 50) water, and a fantastic site. I stayed at one last week, and have another for Tuesday when I leave here at long Branch. You can not get any KOA that as nice as these sites. You can get a dump site for a little more, but I just empty as I leave.
What a bargain these campgrounds are. I think you can only stay 2 weeks, but usually there are many sites near so you can go from on to another.
I agree. It gets older folks out there traveling and its good for them, their health, and the economy. And give everyone who has put in 4 years into the US military one also.

Top Bottom