I cant figure out dealers.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I am looking for an adventure touring motorcycle. I am considering the Triumph 800 XRx, Suzuki 650 V-strom, and the BMW F700.
The local dealers are as different as night and day.
The Triumph dealership is owned by a lady who is super nice and spends alot of time with me and cant wait till I come over for a test ride. She answers every email I send her promptly.
She is very sharp about knowing her bikes.
The Suzuki/Honda dealer could care less about me. He could care less about checking Suzuki/Honda warehouses for bikes he could get me. Dealers dont normally trade bikes amoung themselves even for cash.
The BMW dealer is in between. He is out of 700s till the 2018s come out and he wont go and find one in a warehouse. He at least spent time with me showing me an 800 and talking about the
differences. I gave him two chances to sell bikes to me. He muffed both of them. I wound up going to the Valley dealership and ordering an NT and FJR. They were happy to take my money.
Other dealers in WA towns have been very helpful and honest about what they can do.

From what I can see, If I want a car, that dealer will find a way to get me a red Subaru Forester 2017 with Eyesight system. I guess there is not enough profit in bikes to make things easy.....
Guess I will research and bide my time....I wonder if Orange County Choppers will make me a Triumph 800 with a low fuel bladder and BMW Vario bags??????

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
She is very sharp about knowing her bikes.
The Suzuki/Honda dealer could care less about me. He could care less about checking Suzuki/Honda warehouses for bikes he could get me. Dealers dont normally trade bikes amoung themselves even for cash.
We traded bikes all the time when I worked at a dealership... We had a full time delivery driver and a F-250 long bed pickup for that reason. Now a very popular model isn't as easily traded as a less popular one but getting a V-Strom would have been a simple computer look up and phone call. You just have some lazy dealers or they don't think you are serious.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I leave tomorrow on my Euro Tour and the bike I will be riding is a F800GS for the next three weeks. Will give you a ride/bike report when I get back. Should be somewhat familiar with the 800GS by then.

PS In my my opinion of the bikes you listed I would go for the V-Strom 650. Bullet proof, inexpensive to buy, easy and cheap to maintain. Don't ask how I know.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I leave tomorrow on my Euro Tour and the bike I will be riding is a F800GS for the next three weeks. Will give you a ride/bike report when I get back. Should be somewhat familiar with the 800GS by then.

PS In my my opinion of the bikes you listed I would go for the V-Strom 650. Bullet proof, inexpensive to buy, easy and cheap to maintain. Don't ask how I know.:rolleyes:
Enjoy your tour Chuck! Let us know what you think of the F800GS. Be safe!
tschüss or auf Wiersehen

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
On the BMW models, I think for you, I'd go with the F800GS. It's higher.

I've thought about the F700GS and F800GS. The former is lower to the ground, which helps people like me. The latter has a bit more hp to handle the freeways and other roads getting to the side roads. One might be in my future.

Chris
For me, the gearing, seat height, weight distribution, size, all screams F700. When at the dealer, I described my usage and he agreed with me.
But this vid showed me the decision is a slam dunk. The 800 is not for me....
http://powersports.honda.com/2015/interceptor/accessories.aspx

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT

It is still in the running. The ride by wire multiple ride modes , low CG, and exquisit Vario panniers are a big draw for the BMW. You can pick up new left over Suzuki 650 Adventures set up already (with big bags) for a song and there are lots of options aftermarket available for them, which is a good thing. No bike is perfect for anyone. The Triumph has Cruise control which is adictive. The BMW has the low CG , ride by wire, and state of the art Panniers, the Suzuki has many good things about it also. Best price point for one.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
We traded bikes all the time when I worked at a dealership... We had a full time delivery driver and a F-250 long bed pickup for that reason. Now a very popular model isn't as easily traded as a less popular one but getting a V-Strom would have been a simple computer look up and phone call. You just have some lazy dealers or they don't think you are serious.
I agree. The valley store was willing to bring in two bikes for me and I bought them. I havent had time to go back and talk to them yet but with the rumors of Triumph adding a number of things to the 800 for 2018 like Electric Windscreen and more CCs, I want to see what happens there and in Oct my BMW dealer will return from the dealer show and let me know the skinny on the new 2018 F700. Maybe no changes....maybe some changes. Meanwhile when I get back from Mt Baker WA next weekend I will ride the Triumph and see if it talks to me.....maybe someone offers narrower panniers.

Top Bottom