This is why he wears #1

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Those trials riders are pretty amazing. Videos are impressive, but watching them up close is great.

There was a national traials event held at each of the last few Aerostich Very Boring Rally events in Duluth. The events weren't connected, but just happened to be at the same place and time. It was fun to watch, learn, and talk to the riders about their bikes and techniques. Like everything else these days their bikes are pretty "techy".

Who can do this on an NT!
The NT is NOT a trials bike. And there is a skill involved too. I don't think I ever held a track stand longer than about 10 seconds (on anything).

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Trials is one of the motorcycle events I have never seen in person. I've been to motocross, flat track, road race, hillclimbs but never a trials.
It is on my bucket list. I need to plan and attend. Watching is amazing. I think my mind can understand going fast as in racing, but with trials it is like there are physics laws against it or something.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Absotutley amazing! I can't imagine being able to get up those rocks on anything -- including my hands and knees.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Back in the sixties I used to compete in local trials. Back then, even the pros couldn't do what this kid does. It is just amazing!

Mike

Last edited:
Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
Years ago I did ride trials some, never really very good at it but I did enjoy it and had fun doing it.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Trials is one of the motorcycle events I have never seen in person. I've been to motocross, flat track, road race, hillclimbs but never a trials.
It is on my bucket list. I need to plan and attend. Watching is amazing. I think my mind can understand going fast as in racing, but with trials it is like there are physics laws against it or something.

Brad
I dunno'. If you can take a motorcycle with 12'' of ground clearance over a 36" tree trunk . . .

I can't either.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Years ago I did ride trials some, never really very good at it but I did enjoy it and had fun doing it.
Yeah, I wasn't worth a durn either, but I had a blast doing it. I tried enduro as well but I didn't have the courage (foolhardiness?) to ride fast enough to be competitive. That's what I liked about trials, speed wasn't the issue, precision was.

Mike

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
We had a guy on this forum a number of years ago ( A friend of Karl's) who rides Trials. I can't remember his name at this moment--will probably remember it in the middle of the night.

silshooter

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
crash.jpg This is the only time I made the front page of a bike newspaper, Plonkers Press in 1977. Rode trials events in Texas for about 3 years, it was the best motorcycle rider training I've experienced.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I went to my first trials competition to watch. It is pretty amazing riding. The conditions were pretty tough, very hot, many insects in the woods also. Very interesting sport. It seems quite different from most others where speed is all that matters. Good family atmosphere. I would recommend attending an event to see in person if you can get to one.
A real test of balance and control, even watching a rider kickstart a bike over that he is balancing with the other foot and hands is hard for me to comprehend being able to do.

Brad

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom