Final driven flange: Tricks to removing with rear wheel ?

ett

First; if this subject has been previously talked to death in another thread.
Feel free to make fun of my search skills and direct me to any such threads. :wink:

Today I had to change the rear tire on my NT.
This makes the fourth or fifth time I've had the rear wheel off the NT.
And it seems other then the very first time; I encountered problems removing the rear wheel due to the Final Driven Flange sticking to the Final Drive Gear Case and pulling out of the rear wheel.
Making it impossible to remove the rear wheel until I managed to get rear wheel and Final Driven Flange back together; and both fully seated in the Final Drive Gear Case.
After which I have to wiggle the rear wheel back-forth, side-to-side, and up-n-down multiple times to keep the Final Driven Flange fully attached/seated in the rear so I can remove the rear wheel.

Does everyone else have this problem where removing the rear wheel ?
If no; what am I doing wrong that is causing the Final Driven Flange to stick to the Final Drive Gear Case ?
If yes; what tricks have you long time NT owners developed to prevent this from occurring ?

Thanks;
--ET

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
for me they come apart some too. I use a flat short screwdriver under rectangle opening in bottom of plastic of final drive to scoot flange back onto wheel. I think the aluminum holders with rubbers under flange get loose some with wear to allow flange to move away from wheel

I have only removed my rear wheel once, and it came off easily using the method the ST1100 manual suggested. You use a set of pliers - you open up the pliers, insert the handle into the small opening at the bottom of the drive unit at the rear wheel, and rotate the pliers. It seemed to be a really goofy approach when I first saw the method in a factory manual - but it works great! The pliers should be a reasonably large pair.....not the tiny ones that come in most tool kits.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I've never had any trouble with mine, they always come out together.
I've never really thought how that could happen and make removal difficult. I'll keep it in mind and now I'll know what to do if it happens to me. My drive pins seem to bind a little in the rubber dampers, at least enough to hold together during removal.

Brad

Top Bottom