The 2018 NT Gathering in WV

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Re: 2018 NT Gathering in WV

TY for the good info. This will be my first event and I am looking foreword to it. I am coming from Cleveland area.
great, I'm originally from Ashtabula County, Jefferson. been in NC for 30 yrs. I should be there too

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL

It'll be good to see you again, David!
good to see you again phil with that loooong east coast trip...........you might me twice tho in 2018. planning a trip to Colorado / Utah trip with wife on spyder!! end of june till 1st week in july. but in Colorado june 22 for 4 nights is about plan right now. do same route I did of seeing things, now with wife. so will be closer to you by doing RMNP

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)

David, you'll be here just before I leave to go to Spearfish on June 26. Hope to see you twice!

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

One of the potential attendees put a caveat on his RSVP "as long as it doesn't snow" or something along those lines.

Our previous location in Davis did have snow a few times so it was a real concern but the geography of North Bend SP and Davis are quite different. North Bend is close to the Ohio River so that helps moderate temps plus the altitude at the park is only 856 ft. Davis is nestled in the mountains which often have their own weather systems and the altitude is 3100 ft. We've had a crazy previous 12-months for weather so there are no guarantees but it seems unlikely that we'll have snow at North Bend.

We're now up to 10+ in the RSVPs so the event in growing! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

For those of you coming from the east to North Bend SP, you can take US 50 all the way across WV and northern VA. If previously you took US 50 to get to Davis from the DC area, it's another 2 hours west but on a good road. There is one tight section in the mountains with lots of curves and ups/downs so be careful there plus I've encountered logging trucks in that stretch! Anyhow, get off US 50 at WV 16 south, and from there it's about 8-miles to the park entrance.

The town closest to the park is Harrisville but I'm not sure if they have a gas station so fill-up in Ellenboro where there is a big station. The station is north on WV 16 by about 1/4 mile and just off US 50. :)

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL

your route for those folks coming east inspired me to look how I will go from south. I-77 till Hwy 19 crosses first exit, then Hwy 16 all way to NB state park. got my scenic route

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

WV 16 is a great motorcycle road, in either direction! :)

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V

This really sounds like a great get together, I'll see how things go in next few weeks. Be great to meet this group!

-Daryl

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

Just a reminder for riders who are sitting on the fence about attending - we're only 6-7 weeks from the event so it's time to make a decision! :)

Last edited:

I hope to arrive on Thursday and ride with the Rally on Friday. I'll have to take off early Saturday morning for a family event in Michigan. Since I won't be staying the full three nights, the lodge was not sure if I could be part of the block of rooms reserved for NT Owners. This was not a problem. They still had a few rooms available at the regular rate, still a good deal. Point is, again, the lodge is getting bookings, so don't stay on the fence.

Looking forward to it -- Always great riding!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold

One of the potential attendees put a caveat on his RSVP "as long as it doesn't snow" or something along those lines.
I missed that commet, but snow is a factor for me. I was planning on goint to the first Eastern NT Gathering but I got over a foot of snow when I was supposed to be leaving home. I made it there the second year and hit snow on my way home in the UP of MI. I'll check the weather when we get closer to launch time and still might come even if it is early in the riding season here. I have an intense motorcycle itch to scratch after 6 months of not riding.

I understand that it is best if all the participants stay at the same lodging. But I'll just have to take my chances (and my tent).

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

junglejim - in this case, the distance between "the same lodging" and where you pitch your tent is about 40-yards! :rolleyes1:

Whereabouts do you live in Cheeseland? Our MSTA national rally is being held in La Crosse this year. The official event dates are June 10-13 but Deb & I will arrive a few days early. You'll see at least 3-5 NTs there!

ps. if you have to use your truck or trailer to transport your NT out of the white stuff, go ahead and do it! No one will razz you and you'll be more than welcomed!

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold

Whereabouts do you live in Cheeseland? Our MSTA national rally is being held in La Crosse this year. The official event dates are June 10-13 but Deb & I will arrive a few days early. You'll see at least 3-5 NTs there!
I live way up - almost in Lake Superior.

Who are the other NT riders that will be at LaCrosse? That is only about a 5 or 6 hour ride for me. But "So many roads - so little time" as they say. I'll try for that one too.

LaCrosse is a great area to ride in. The SW part of WI is un-glaciated so the terraine is great for motorcycling. But it IS farm country and you sometimes meet some big green or red machine 24' wide machine rounding a corner on a 24' wide road. Be careful. And also, you may encounter some unexpected slippery stretches on the road when they are hauling manure.

I've been to MnSTOC held in Lanesboro MN, also near LaCrosse. Both sides of the river have great riding. I've also hooked up with the other MSTA (Minnesota STA) for a ride a time or two.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

I thought real hard about going to the MSTA STAR Rally in Lacrosse, but just don't have the time or the money this year. Back in '10, right after I got my NT, I went to my last Concours Owners Group National Rally in Tomah. We had a great time riding south of there. In that part of Wisconsin, one of the issues was that we were in Amish country and horse-drawn wagons were fairly plentiful. So they didn't always have to be hauling manure -- sometimes the farm vehicles were depositing it!

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

There are Amish living on both sides of The Big Muddy in that area so "natural fertilizer" can sometimes be plentiful on the rural roads!

JungleJim - the other NT riders are from OH and not members of this website so you probably don't know them.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V

Ok folks, this event is just around the "Bend", ha ha. I talked to Kathy at the Park yesterday and there are only 4 rooms in our block of rooms left. They will be unblocking them on the 16th, one month before the event, so if you are sitting on the proverbial fence, might want to jump on this. Now, there is nearly an unlimited supply of camping area where we will be staying so no problems there, bring your tent and join us. At this moment I am planning on driving over Wednesday morning to take a few coolers over so we'll have a place to put "refreshments" at the campsites. Then will be over there in the afternoon to get my camp set up. I can be available for information if need be. I'll post my cell number a little closer to time.

I will again note, DO NOT follow your gps when it tries to bring you in on County Rt 5 unless you like nasty gravel / dirt roads. Google and several GPS's will do that. Coming from the West on Rt.50, take Rt.31 South toward Cairo and as you are about through that tiny little burg, you will see the sign for North Bend to the left on a country road to the park. If you are coming in on Rt.50 from the East, get off on Rt.16 at Ellenboro and go south on Rt.16 to Harrisville. As you go through Harrisville, just go straight through, and that leads you to the park. There are brown signs to lead you in. Of course, if you bring two lane in from the South, use Rt.16 from Smithville to Harrisville. If you cross the river on two lane at St. Mary's, WV just bring Rt.16 down, through Ellenboro to Harrisville. Most other two lane roads are very rough when you get closer to the park. South of Rt.47 are several good roads however we will be riding some of those for the event.

Hope this helps. If anyone would like a suggestion for fun routes to the event, let me know. I will be posting a few of the ride routes and will have gpx files available for those if anyone would like them. I still need to check a couple roads, as winter has been tough on them here. I know of two possible reroutes due to road slips and will watch those for possible changes.

Anxious to see everyone again this year. Let hope for great weather. It's not been very good for getting out yet.

Duane

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

Looking forward to seeing you and others there, Duane!

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

Dwayne - the other day someone in the MSTA posted a photo of St Rt 83 in Washington County, OH. A recent landslide undermined the road so it had huge cracks and undulations. It reminded me of post-earthquake photos from Japan! One of the club guys chimed-in; "You can't fix that with tar snakes!"

Route 83 between Elk Run Road and the town of Ludlow is closed so you can't go north on 83 from 60.

+1 on WVRider's comments to get off your duffs if you're planning to come!

Last edited:
Top Bottom