OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Re: 2018 NT Gathering in WV

Having the camping and lodging in the same locale should really make it feel like one group and not multiple groups separated by a campground a good walk from the hotel.

All the rooms in the lodge have two double beds. The rate Duane (WV Rider) has arranged for us is $74.40 + tax but they have a new computer at the park so our agreed upon "NT Motorcycle Group" rates don't show up. All they can see is $87 + tax per night. The park will make adjustment to each reservation so don't worry.

Their number is (304) 643-2931 so please go ahead and reserve your room. :)

ps. they also have cabins but I don't have details on those. My guess is that they're more pricey than a room but they may have room for 4-6 people as they did in Burr Oak State Park when we used that for a previous event.

Last edited:

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V

Note, the cabins are at least a mile from Lodge and Camping area we will use. No special pricing on cabins I'm aware of.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)

Slightly off topic, I just returned from our first RX3 rally in Marlinton WV. Only four riders but it was our first attempt. And although the Chinese-made RX3 has a number of issues, it was interesting to me that we had four bikes, a couple did some unexpectedly serious off-roading, bikes came from between 240 miles to 340 miles away, and as far as I know everyone made it home with no mechanical issues. And this from 250cc bikes.
Tell us more ahout the RX3 Chris. I've thought some about them and looked at one. They are neat looking little bikes.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

Chris and I talked about his RX3 when it was fairly new. He told me that having been a motorcycle technician in a previous life helped a lot! Lots of little things to fix but he knew that going in.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

Duane (WVRider) just checked with Kathy who is his contact at North Bend and the correct rate for the "NT Motorcycle Group" is $69.90 + tax per night and that's even cheaper than I'd expected. Thanks Duane!

Be sure to give them the group name when you ask a room and you'll get our the good guy/gal rate!

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

I just made a room reservation for the event. Right now I don't have anybody sharing that with me since Jim Moore and I had planned on being together and his vision isn't working too hot.

I also am planning on hanging around in the area and taking Eric Trow's Stayin'Safe Advanced Rider Course the following weekend.

Bike
2011 NT 700 VA

Please let me know if there are still rooms available at the lodge.

KGNT

Bike
2011 NT 700 VA

Can someone tell me the itinerary. What nights are you staying over. It it Thursday Friday Saturday and leaving Sunday?

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

I'd guess that maybe 3 of the 10 rooms have been reserved as of now. You need to call anyhow to make a reservation so just do it!

Deb & I are arriving on Thursday and leaving Sunday morning. Don't know about the plans of others but I'm fairly certain WVRider will be there on those same timelines. There is no formal itinerary and from my personal experience, any event is only as good as you make it. :rolleyes:

When we had it at Davis, the usual plan was that most of us met for breakfast and Dwayne (WVRider) brought a map and his truly uncanny memory of which roads go where. From there he made up a route for the day. Sometimes we stopped for lunch along the way and sometimes we waited until we got back. Riders were free to join the group for either the full loop or only partial loop. The only rule was to tell others before you decided to split off on your own at some point. And sometimes Woodaddict and Rustinpeace, decided they wanted to see some place that was three states away so they took off in the morning!

The camping area is only about 30 yards from the lodge building so I suspect gatherings around the campfire will be much more communal than in previous years and there is a store about 2-miles away so bringing hot dogs to burn over a fire and adult beverages would be easy. They also have cabins and I recall Duane (WV Rider) saying the cabins were quite a distance from the lodge and weren't include in the special group rate he got for us.

ps. You can't access the special group rate on the internet so calling is the only way.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,

I'm planning on attending and Phil may be meeting me here in MO for the rest of the ride to WV. Does anyone have an idea of what the agenda is?

MIke

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

If any of you want to make "an agenda," please help yourselves and bring a projector, screen and Power Point presentation with your agenda. :rofl1:

All kidding aside, since you two (Mike and Phil) will be riding together and coming through central OH, you might as well stop at Iron Pony in Columbus because it will truly boggle your mind. Picture a motorcycle dealer and accessory store that takes up every square foot of an old K-mart mega store and they recently added a 2nd floor over part of the interior so they could add more bikes.

I typically buy my riding gear from Iron Pony because they have 90% of the brands/styles so you can try on stuff before buying it and their tires are stored on open racks in a separate room so you can find the one with the latest "born on" date. They have as-you-wait tire replacement and I believe the usual charge is around $35 per wheel for mount and balance.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

All kidding aside, since you two (Mike and Phil) will be riding together and coming through central OH, you might as well stop at Iron Pony in Columbus because it will truly boggle your mind. Picture a motorcycle dealer and accessory store that takes up every square foot of an old K-mart mega store and they recently added a 2nd floor over part of the interior so they could add more bikes.
O-Boy! I'm excited!! Because when I travel on my NT, I can buy nearly everything in a abandoned K-Mart mega-store and carry it in the big lids of my NT!!!

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys

Iron Pony sounds like quite the place considering many brick and mortar stores are closing and on-line is becoming the norm.
For me to get things that fit I need to have it in my hands and/or try it on. Not too many options like that everywhere.

Brad

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold

coming through central OH, you might as well stop at Iron Pony in Columbus because it will truly boggle your mind.
Good suggestion!! If I make it down to the "gathering" Columbus is right along the way. I don't really need anything, but that does not mean I wouldn't buy something.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

JungleJim - just walking inside that place for the first time will cause your jaw to drop as you struggle to take in all the stuff they have in that place. In regards to apparel, they have separate sections for First Gear, Joe Rocket, Tourmaster, etc., and most are larger than the apparel display in even a large, multi-line dealer! On the south end of the building they have close-outs for non-current apparel and honestly a lot of it is in size S or XXXL but you never know what you'll find there.

And there is no shame in "trailering" your bike out of the white hell of northern WI in May. Last year, I used my trailer to haul our bike to Davis as a shakedown run and no one seemed to care. :)

Phil - you can buy stuff and mail it home in USPS Priority Mail boxes. I used those boxes on long trips just to ship my dirty clothes + souvenirs home. :)

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold

I used those boxes on long trips just to ship my dirty clothes
I just take my old and tattered clothes on a trip and when I'm done with it I just discard it. If I need to I can buy some more along the way, but I ususally return home with less than I left with.

Bike
Bonneville T120

+1 on Iron Pony. I try to get down there a couple of times a year, just to look around. But I almost always buy something.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural

Junglejim, do you return commando? I think I followed you, shoes and clothes along the roadway. Where those your shoes hanging from the overhead wires?

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL

Junglejim, do you return commando? I think I followed you, shoes and clothes along the roadway. Where those your shoes hanging from the overhead wires?
bahaha!

he wants to leave his signature!!

Bike
2011 NT 700 VA

TY for the good info. This will be my first event and I am looking foreword to it. I am coming from Cleveland area.

Top Bottom