OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Re: 2018 NT Gathering in WV

We're now up to 13 confirmed via RSVPs so the list is growing.

We're now less than a month out and I can't wait for warm & dry weather although I've been riding at least once a week. If you're on the fence about coming, make plans now!

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

I just now checked on my res at the lodge and they had me down for two (2) rooms so I had them cancel one which means a room with two double beds is available.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

Phil & Mike...and others:

I don't know if you're interested but on May 14-15, there will be two B-17s at Grimes Field in Urbana OH. One is the Memphis Belle and the other is the Yankee Lady. This morning I made reservations to take a ride on the Yankee Lady on Tuesday, May 15. :smile:

From Urbana, the B-17s will fly to Wright-Pat on May 16 where they'll have a big gala at the USAF Museum but I wanted to see them in a less hectic and uncrowded environment. I did the same when they had B-25s in Urbana a few years ago on their way to Wright-Pat for a Jimmy Doolittle Reunion/memorial. Urbana is at the junction of US 36 and US 68 with the airport being north of town on US 68. From I-70, you would get off at US 68 and head north for 19 miles. It's around 50+ miles from Urbana to Iron Pony on the northeast side of the Columbus beltway.

Tosh

ps. the Urbana Aviation Museum also has their own B-17, Champaign Lady, that has been under restoration/reconstruction for many years now. I don't think that particular airplane ever existed and it's being made-up of many parts from other aircraft, plus lots of new parts.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)

Thanks for the info, Tosh. We'll have to see how that all works out. B-17s are about my favorite airplane and it's been a while since I've seen one.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V

Dwayne - the other day someone in the MSTA posted a photo of St Rt 83 in Washington County, OH. A recent landslide undermined the road so it had huge cracks and undulations. It reminded me of post-earthquake photos from Japan! One of the club guys chimed-in; "You can't fix that with tar snakes!"

Route 83 between Elk Run Road and the town of Ludlow is closed so you can't go north on 83 from 60.

+1 on WVRider's comments to get off your duffs if you're planning to come!
Well, I have seen that info on RT 83 north of Rt60 however everything I've read does not sound like the right area. I'm just gonna have to run up there (only 20 min from me) to see what's up. Cause I actually had included some of 83 in one of our route options (Bucket Run). I can always reroute to avoid it if there is a problem. Hope to use the good weather coming up to check out some of my routes. Weather has been rough on all the roads around here for sure. Thanks for the heads up.

As for rooms, they have likely been taken out of hold. She showed 3 left as of Saturday. Anyone coming now will have full price if there is anything available.

Hope to see everyone there.

DJ

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V

I missed that commet, but snow is a factor for me. I was planning on goint to the first Eastern NT Gathering but I got over a foot of snow when I was supposed to be leaving home. I made it there the second year and hit snow on my way home in the UP of MI. I'll check the weather when we get closer to launch time and still might come even if it is early in the riding season here. I have an intense motorcycle itch to scratch after 6 months of not riding.

I understand that it is best if all the participants stay at the same lodging. But I'll just have to take my chances (and my tent).
Plenty of tenting area Jim. Hope the weather works out and you make your way here.

DJ

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V

As a note, for those who need to watch the weather for last minute decisions, if you area bringing your tent you need not worry about reservations. We have the group area already set for us and there is plenty of room. Just let us know so we know how many may show up, if weather is good.

DJ

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

Crowbuster just RSVP's so we're up to 15. :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

Mike Simmons had been planning on coming with me, but one of the guys he was counting on to manage his O'Reilly's Auto Parts Store has quit and he's not going to be able to make it. Jim Rau (junglejim) had also thought about coming but won't be able to make it. So, I've got a room with two beds I'd be willing to share with someone.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL

hooray!! got crowbuster who I haven't met, but lives southeast of me. somebody else from NC

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL

oh the noises.......my universal on driveshaft just started making noise. I wondered when it was going to go bad. my PC 800 with 163K went bad at this time. it was a harder fix, must take off swingarm, totally hidden. NT is easier, just pull off final drive, swingarm is open in this area of universal with a boot. so just ordered yesterday, if I get in time I will put on, if not I will be forced to ride spyder.....

oh, for curious georges out there, i'm at 188,120 on NT

Last edited:
OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

WVRider has developed 3 ride loops for us and they all look great to me! Each one is under 200 miles and will take 4-5 hours not counting breaks and lunch.

Thanks Duane! :)

Woodaddict - did the U-joint arrive yet?

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL

u joint supposed to ship out wed, should arrive Friday. sometimes their schedule doesn't update and might be a delay. but we will see. shouldn't take long to install. if its fedex, they deliver Saturday, so possible to even get it that day. but I want it Friday, to install Saturday.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

My Fed-X deliveries always comes in the morning and UPS deliveries in the late, late, late afternoon. It's probably different all over.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

I've still got my fingers crossed that my dealer here in Greeley gets my front wheel bearings (and gets them installed!) so I can head east on Sunday.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

I've asked Duane to make his four Google route maps available to all who are following this topic.

Thanks Duane!

Last edited:

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V

Wow time is nearly upon us. I was able to check out many of the roads in the last week. Some via car due to rain, however most are looking good and I had to change one of the rides a bit however it will still be fun.

Heads Up Note: When coming to the park through Cairo (from the west), be aware that State Park Rd. (as my gps calls it) or Low Gap Rd. (as Google calls it), when you turn off Rt.31, has some holes and rough spots on it. Pretty bad so please take it easy. It's only 3.5 miles to the park though so just take your time and watch for the holes. We're going to have to use this road anyway so just wanted to give you all a heads up. Rt.31 to Cairo is good and so it Rt.16 from the Ellenboro end.

Now, here are the 4 routes I have explored. Note sure the links will work so you may have to copy and paste. Also note, if you use your phone it will change the route for you, which is goofy. Anyway, I have found it I open them on the computer, it will stay the same. Please email me if you want the gpx file I have already made.

Covered Bridge Tour: https://goo.gl/maps/ki8Pk73mcb82
A fun twisty tour that will pass three neat old covered bridges and put us at a Great lunch spot in New Martinsville, WV.

Smokehouse Loop: https://goo.gl/maps/c6EYmjVa1SQ2
Awesome curvy loop that takes us on some prime WV twisties and a true country backroads tour (in great shape) which will put us at the best Smokehouse BBQ in WV for lunch (Actually received awards).

Bucket Run : https://goo.gl/maps/LkQLa8wqf7x
A dual state loop into Ohio to the great Muskie Bucket and back. Tosh, Note I had to modify this one just a wee bit after we get off I-77 due to a road issue. I do not know how to make the gpx files available here so I'll leave my email address if interested.

14-16 Twist : https://goo.gl/maps/9CvBdqEpYk92
Just a fun loop that takes us on some valued roads in the area. Uses Rt.16, which is in another loop, however this one does it in the north direction.

I have these rides in gpx files if anyone is interested in loading them to their gps. My email address is rvmba.duane@yahoo.com just shoot me an email and request. Wishing everyone a safe journey.

Note, CAMPERS, when you come into the park, go past the lodge, down the hill and at the big H shaped intersection, go right and right again. The camping area we are using is about 300 yards on the left. If first gate is not open, go to the second one. I will attempt to put up a couple 8 X 11 signs up with arrows. It will just have huge NT and an arrow.

DJ

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

Good news for me! The front-wheel bearings came today and I'm picking up my bike in the morning. I've got a couple of minor things to do tomorrow to finish getting it ready. The bigger project is to get the external pannier latches installed.

The weather had been predicted to be rainy on Sunday, but that's dropped down to a small percentage of likelihood rain. So, I'll be heading east, planning to make it to my parents' old home town, where I lived from kindergarten thru 2nd grade -- El Dorado, KS.

On Monday, I'll ride to Mike Simmons place in Union, MO. He and I will ride at least part of the day together on Tuesday, before he has to head back to Union for work on Wednesday.

BTW, I still have a bed if someone wants to share a room.

Top Bottom