The 2018 NT Gathering in WV

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Re: 2018 NT Gathering in WV

good news Phil!! have a save journey east. my universal will be here Monday, so I will install then

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)

I'm looking forward to seeing you again, David!

Just checked the wx report and it doesn't look good. It will be raining here when I leave on Thursday. It will be 80% rain on Friday in Cairo and 40% rain on Saturday and Sunday. And just to finish it off, it will be raining here in Richmond on Sunday. Remember to bring your rain gear.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

OK, here's how I look at our spring/summer weather in OH & western WV.

When it gets into the upper 70s and above, there is always a chance for a thunderstorm developing nearly every day and they mostly occur in the late-afternoon when the temp is highest. A lot of times, such as yesterday when I was mowing, it just means a few rumbles of thunder but nothing else from the skies.

If it rains its not going to be an all-day deluge so no need to start building an ark! I'll have my Frogg Togg jacket in the top box and my Aerostich Darians are waterproof so no big deal. Just normal stuff for me. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

Buying gas before coming into camp:

A lot of us will be using US 50 to get close to the park. At the junction of US 50 and WV 16 is Ellenboro and on the north side of US 50 is a large Texaco station with food and other services. I've stopped there many times when riding through this area and my guess is that it's a 24 hr station.

Going south on WV 16 will take you into Harrisville, the nearest town to North Bend and the internet shows 4 gas stations in town but I don't know if any of them are still in business so I'm going to fill-up in Ellenboro. Knowing the typical fuel economy of an NT and the length of the loops, I'd say that starting will a full tank in the morning will mean you don't have to stop for gas in mid-loop. None of the loops head towards Ellenboro in the morning but 2 of them pass it on the way back to the State Park.

From Ellenboro to Harrisville is 5 miles and from there another 4.5 miles to North Bend SP.

See you guys/gals next week! :)

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

HELP!!!!

if you read my ride report for today, you'll realize that I need a front brake lever. If someone can find one and bring it to North Bend, I'd be grateful for a long, long time. It broke at the breakaway notch, just like it's supposed to and I've got two-fingers worth of lever, which is all I usually use. But, I'd like to have a full-length one before Memorial Day Weekend when I'm taking Eric Trow's Stayin'Safe Advanced Rider Training.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

Phil & Mike,

Since you'll be coming into Columbus from west-to-east, I would suggest going to Iron Pony first, then to the AMA Museum second but it also depends on where you want to spend the most time. It's about 18 miles between those two points and depending on the time of day, the traffic can be OK to terrible.

Iron Pony is inside the I-270 beltway at approx 2 o'clock. Going around the top of the beltway heading east, get off at OH 3/Westerville Rd south. It'll be around 2-miles and on your left.

The AMA museum is outside the I-270 beltway and about 8-miles from Iron Pony. Get back on the beltway from Iron Pony and continue east and it'll curve to the south. You want to get off the beltway at I-70 East. Heading east on I-70 get off at exit 112A South which is OH 256. At the bottom of the off ramp you'll see a road ahead that has a stop light/w left turn lanes. It's only a short distance to that road (Tussing Rd/204) and 256 is always busy so you'll need to get over RIGHT AWAY for a left turn. After turning left it's less than 1/4 mile to Yarmouth St and it'll be another left turn. There is a sign with arrow on Tussing pointing to "AMA Museum." The museum and AMA headquarters are on Yarmouth all in the same facility.

I hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

Sounds like Mike's got me covered on the brake lever. Now if I can just keep the sticky side down while I'm getting on and off the bike. Keep your fingers crossed!!

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V

Buying gas before coming into camp:

A lot of us will be using US 50 to get close to the park. At the junction of US 50 and WV 16 is Ellenboro and on the north side of US 50 is a large Texaco station with food and other services. I've stopped there many times when riding through this area and my guess is that it's a 24 hr station.

Going south on WV 16 will take you into Harrisville, the nearest town to North Bend and the internet shows 4 gas stations in town but I don't know if any of them are still in business so I'm going to fill-up in Ellenboro. Knowing the typical fuel economy of an NT and the length of the loops, I'd say that starting will a full tank in the morning will mean you don't have to stop for gas in mid-loop. None of the loops head towards Ellenboro in the morning but 2 of them pass it on the way back to the State Park.

From Ellenboro to Harrisville is 5 miles and from there another 4.5 miles to North Bend SP.

See you guys/gals next week! :)
FYI there is only one station in Harrisville, the BP close to downtown. https://goo.gl/maps/uZ41ZbYCop42
It will be a good place to gas all bikes at the end of each ride, or if coming by Ellenboro we can hit the GoMart there.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

Thanks for that "on-the-ground" info Duane!

That BP station appears to be only a few blocks from where we turn off 16 and head towards the state park and it has a large lot so it'll work well for our group :)

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V

CAMPERS PLEASE NOTE: After receiving a question about the campgrounds. I should clarify, We ARE NOT USING THEIR REGULAR CAMPGROUND. We are using their special recreation area which is not far from the Lodge. If I look on Google it shows N Bend Recreation Area pretty close to the lodge. Do not go to the N Bend Campground shown on Google Maps. On my Garmin it shows 39 North Bend Playground Loop, Cairo, WV. Again, I hope to have a few signs placed as you drive past the Lodge. Safe travels.

Wow time is nearly upon us. I was able to check out many of the roads in the last week. Some via car due to rain, however most are looking good and I had to change one of the rides a bit however it will still be fun.

Heads Up Note: When coming to the park through Cairo (from the west), be aware that State Park Rd. (as my gps calls it) or Low Gap Rd. (as Google calls it), when you turn off Rt.31, has some holes and rough spots on it. Pretty bad so please take it easy. It's only 3.5 miles to the park though so just take your time and watch for the holes. We're going to have to use this road anyway so just wanted to give you all a heads up. Rt.31 to Cairo is good and so it Rt.16 from the Ellenboro end.

Now, here are the 4 routes I have explored. Note sure the links will work so you may have to copy and paste. Also note, if you use your phone it will change the route for you, which is goofy. Anyway, I have found it I open them on the computer, it will stay the same. Please email me if you want the gpx file I have already made.

Covered Bridge Tour: https://goo.gl/maps/ki8Pk73mcb82
A fun twisty tour that will pass three neat old covered bridges and put us at a Great lunch spot in New Martinsville, WV.

Smokehouse Loop: https://goo.gl/maps/c6EYmjVa1SQ2
Awesome curvy loop that takes us on some prime WV twisties and a true country backroads tour (in great shape) which will put us at the best Smokehouse BBQ in WV for lunch (Actually received awards).

Bucket Run : https://goo.gl/maps/LkQLa8wqf7x
A dual state loop into Ohio to the great Muskie Bucket and back. Tosh, Note I had to modify this one just a wee bit after we get off I-77 due to a road issue. I do not know how to make the gpx files available here so I'll leave my email address if interested.

14-16 Twist : https://goo.gl/maps/9CvBdqEpYk92
Just a fun loop that takes us on some valued roads in the area. Uses Rt.16, which is in another loop, however this one does it in the north direction.

I have these rides in gpx files if anyone is interested in loading them to their gps. My email address is rvmba.duane@yahoo.com just shoot me an email and request. Wishing everyone a safe journey.

Note, CAMPERS, when you come into the park, go past the lodge, down the hill and at the big H shaped intersection, go right and right again. The camping area we are using is about 300 yards on the left. If first gate is not open, go to the second one. I will attempt to put up a couple 8 X 11 signs up with arrows. It will just have huge NT and an arrow.

DJ

Last edited:
OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

As I recall the "special NT camping area" is just down a small slope from the lodge.

Phil - are you in OH now?

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold

Hi WV Gathering guys and gals. My "puter" says the forecast looks more than a little wet down there. We all like nice days in the 70s no or little rain. But a forecast like the one I saw can produce some of the most memorable rides. Ride safe.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural

Looks like weather is going to give Gathering some nice conditions.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V

Todays weather showed rain all day, I went over to park, made sure trail up the hill was clear, went ahead and set up my tent, and put up a few NT (with an arrow) signs to campground. Never got more than a sprinkle. The Captains Chief Mate will go down with the ship, I'll be there folks.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

I'll be there tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to it. But, if it is raining hard, I might not do much riding. We'll see....

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690

I’m riding in from Pipe Stem WV (near Bluefield) Thursday. Staying at the lodge.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V

Will be nice to meet you Jim. Weather tomorrow looking good. Sound like another rider coming in from the Charleston area as well and I'm so anxious to meet Phil after all these years of talking on here. I will be there before noon. Going to check the back end of one route on my way there and then run and pick up some bottled water to put in cooler. For the campers, I placed a 50 qt cooler at my tent today so we have a place for refreshments, and water of course.

Top Bottom