Butler Maps

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I happen to be just too cheap to buy Butler Maps, I take a laptop with MS Streets and Trips, and sometimes look at sites that have routes posted. I do get a map at each RoadRunner event, and usually stop at welcome centers for a map of the state. I sometimes wish I was not too cheap for aids like Butler maps, but I too old to change now I believe. It was only when I was able to get a motorcycle GPS cheap I purchased one, I just too my car and used a bag in the rain: and still wonder if that was worth the price over a car one.
RoadRunner also has maps http://www.roadmaps.travel/store
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/
http://www.bestbikingroads.com/

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
The company had a shop set up at the Salt Lake City Rally. I bought a WA and ID map. Waterproof plastic with areas of motorcycling interest detailed on back. Like blow up of cities on road maps. Blow ups include an altitude gradient. I bought them more for planning than enroute. Pricy .... $15 for first and $10 thereafter. There were other specials.

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Thanks, I'd like to see one before I buy.
I've never seen one in a bike shop, but then our bike shops around here are pretty anemic. They sell more 4-wheelers, snowmobiles, and boats than mortorcycles.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm with Chris and Miairhead. I carry my netbook with S&T and do most of my route planning on it. Then I narrow down the stops I've got in S&T to the ones that let my GPS follow the route I planned on the netbook. I still like paper maps just for familiarizing my self with an state and/or area.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I like both. I plan the basic trip on S&T and use the GPS to navigate, but I like maps to peruse in the motel room and familiarize myself with the overall area.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, paper maps are great for providing the big picture at a quick glance. Quite different than looking at your laptop with S & T! If I'm not mistaken most welcome stations just inside a state border and on an interstate often have free maps but like most of you, I've never had a reason to get another paper map since I have a box full at home!

My laptop that is with me on bike trips has both MS Streets & Trips and Garmin Mapsource (not Basecamp!). S & T is great for planning because you can actually see the mileage between points and it even provides an ETA.

Mapsource can only make the route but ETA is not available until you download your route into the GPS unit - at least I've never figured out a way to find the ETA in Mapsource. I've been using Mapsource for 12 years so learning Basecamp was too much of a struggle for my old brain so I finally gave up.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Everyone is different. If I had never been out west, the Bulter maps are kind of interesting. Free State maps such as Montana's are very detailed about what kind of terrain you are going to be passing through. Personally, when I saw a Butler map I said, "Ho Hum". Gimmick.
I see lots of bikes with GPSs mounted on them and people spending time punching lots of buttons, sometimes when underway.
My GPS is Glue, Paper, and Sheets of cardboard. I take pics of state maps and using my computer, I blow them up and edit them to sections of my trip. I then add important features like real gas stations, planned stops, and I put in distances between major waypoints. I stick these pics into a word doc for the trip...Say Reno 9-8-17 and then print them out, cut the pics that have been sized to 5 in by 9 inch, and paste them onto pieces of thin cardboard. They slide into the tank bag window and every 200 miles or so I change them. No buttons to push, not much to steal or have to worry about, no electricity used on the bike. Word doc easily changed. AAA gives me all the maps I want for free but I like them a bit bigger so I blow them up electronically. For Spares I have lots of free state maps and AAA maps.

"Google maps" is a good website for distances between points and finding things. But not alot of detail like official state maps.

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
I just ordered a northern californina map from Butler ($15 amazon). It has a lot of detail and points of interest. I'm satisfied with the quality and content.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Butler maps are really nice--expensive?--not really, given their quality and the R&D involved in putting them together. Try pricing Nautical Charts (which are mandatory if you sail) I have discovered maps put out by Adventure Cycling Association. These are maps that designate trips like Bar Harbor, Maine to Seattle WA, Bar Harbor to Key West FL, and everything inbetween. What is nice about these routes is that they steer clear of fast highways, heavy traffic, etc. and concentrate on scenic and safe. That is the ticket for a motorcycle. They show campgrounds and stuff relevant to bicycling. For gas stations and motel facilities you need to use your Smart Phone.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Butler maps are really nice--expensive?--not really, given their quality and the R&D involved in putting them together. Try pricing Nautical Charts (which are mandatory if you sail) I have discovered maps put out by Adventure Cycling Association. These are maps that designate trips like Bar Harbor, Maine to Seattle WA, Bar Harbor to Key West FL, and everything inbetween. What is nice about these routes is that they steer clear of fast highways, heavy traffic, etc. and concentrate on scenic and safe. That is the ticket for a motorcycle. They show campgrounds and stuff relevant to bicycling. For gas stations and motel facilities you need to use your Smart Phone.
Adventure Cycling maps are great, campgrounds, groceries, etc. I used them to bicycle from Florence, Oregon to Bar Harbor, Maine in 2003. BB

Bike
Honda NT700V
I have several of the Butler maps and don't find them particularly useful, especially for the price. To me, they seem rather cluttered and somewhat difficult to read. The material that they're printed on is difficult to re-fold. Jim, I think you're smart to wait to see one before throwing down your hard earned cash.

For anyone in the area covered by latutude40.com maps, I highly recommend them. However, they're aimed more at off-road riders in Colorado and the Moab area.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I have several of the Butler maps and don't find them particularly useful, especially for the price. To me, they seem rather cluttered and somewhat difficult to read. The material that they're printed on is difficult to re-fold. Jim, I think you're smart to wait to see one before throwing down your hard earned cash.

For anyone in the area covered by latutude40.com maps, I highly recommend them. However, they're aimed more at off-road riders in Colorado and the Moab area.
I am with George. Here is one for an area near me.....cluttered is a good word. And not with very useful info. A good free map, for instance the Montana Official State Map or the Montana State Map for Bicyclists, plus CoPilot on the fone, seems to do it for me. Sometimes I print out Google maps and put on things like my favorite motels or ethanol free stations...

https://2yrh403fk8vd1hz9ro2n46dd-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/2015-butler-motorcycle-maps-washington-released-1.jpg

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I'm with Chris and Miairhead. I carry my netbook with S&T and do most of my route planning on it. Then I narrow down the stops I've got in S&T to the ones that let my GPS follow the route I planned on the netbook. I still like paper maps just for familiarizing my self with an state and/or area.
If I may ask an ignorant question: what's S&T?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I didn't know, either, but the almighty Google tells me it's Microsoft Streets & Trips. :) Looks like it's been discontinued.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Yes Street and Trips is dead, which was a great planner that did not need the internet. I purchased a 2013 copy just a couple of weeks ago, new and must be the last you can find. I also have a dongle GPS for program. That is great when you lost, you can pinpoint where you are to find your way back to civilization.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Streets & Trips is by far the easiest to use trip planner I've played with. Wish Microsoft hadn't killed it. They do still support it. Construction info is regularly updated. I'm not so sure about Points of Interest updates.

Top Bottom