Updates on Forum Members

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Updates on:

EX-WINGER (Eldon Cannon): Has surgery to remove a cataract next week. His hope is that this will increase his vision in his only working eye to at least 20-80.

jmoore (Jim Moore): Saw his retinologist yesterday and had a lengthy surgical procedure to place a band around his eye and (I think I've got this right) fill his left eye with oil. His retina was "peeling away" from his eyeball. After approximately 6 months, he should be able to have cataract surgery on his only working eye.

Skylark: He lives in West Palm Beach and got his power back on today after several "hot, humid nights." He's moving to north central Florida (the Ocala area) in a few weeks and looking forward to having better roads to ride than in SE Florida.

And, not an update on Forum Members, but my daughter and her husband got back to their home in Palm Bay, FL, tonight. They have two homes there, one a small place they refurbished and lived in while looking for their permanent home and that permanent home which they moved into and furnished from scratch about 6 months ago. Rich and Kelly are gun dealers and work three gun shows a month in south Florida. Their gun inventory is their largest asset (well over $1M). They had bought a 24' dual-axle trailer and loaded the guns into it and left Florida last Thursday night. They'd gone to Rich's brother's in Guntersville, AL. Their little house got damage to a fence and a small storage shed and their home had a panel sucked out of the soffit over their front door, but apparently not much else. After buying the last generator in Guntersville, they learned that their power was back on in Palm Bay today.

Keep Eldon, Jim, Skylark, and all the folks who are in the wake of Harvey and Irma in your prayers!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Unfortunately it's only the start of the hurricane season in the southeast. :-(

tawilke46

Will keep these folks in our prayers Phil. A lot of forum members are getting to the age of one physical ailment after another!
Speaking of ailments..... how is your new knee working for you Phil?
I just went in to Renal Associates for my lab this morning. The young lady at check in asked how I was doing. Felt like saying "If I was perfectly healthy I would not be here!". But instead said I was doing great......to keep the positive vibes going.
My appointment with the Tulane nephrologist is next Tuesday. If all goes well, he may push my appointments out to yearly intervals.
Linda got her results of the bone density scan she had last week. She now has osteoporosis on top of type 2 diabetes and MS. She is not a happy camper right now.
Sooooooo we don't feel alone with our health issues!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Tim, my new knee works fairly well. It bends more than it did before the surgery, but after the doc has cut through the muscles three times, I don't have a lot of strength in it. I feel wobbly when I'm standing or walking and it doesn't sound like that's going to get any better. But it works fairly well for riding. I dropped the bike once during the 3-Flags classic and I'm still not sure exactly what happened there. I was backing into a parking space and had the bike leaned a bit to the left. I don't know if I leaned too far and my left leg just wouldn't hold it or if my foot slipped or what. I was up and then -- BOOM! -- I was down.

Junglejim asked about Jim Moore's vision after the procedure he had this week. It's very limited -- he says he can pick out areas of light and dark, but that's about all. When he's in familiar territory, he can get around fairly well, but when he's in a hurry or on unfamiliar ground, he's very limited.

I hope your visit with the nephrologist goes well and those checkups get pushed out to yearly intervals! Sorry to hear about Linda's added issues. She's got lots on her plate.

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Phil - Thanks for the updates. Our house in FL we understand is okay. We are currently visiting our old stomping grounds in the Adirondacks doing some hiking. When Skylark is all settled and I am back, we'll have to get together. I am also in the greater Ocala area. Jim

Last edited:

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Many thanks for the updates Phil. I hope they all recover to the best level they hope for.

I'm nursing a twisted ankle and have been for about a month. Fell down stairs (no alcohol involved) carrying the bags to the car at the end of our holiday. I'm still riding the bike but being careful putting my right foot down. I guess it'll be another month before I'm running again.

It's a real bummer getting old. Everything takes longer to heal.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
As saying "Getting old is not for Sissies". Let just keep getting older in different places together.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Updates on:

EX-WINGER (Eldon Cannon): Has surgery to remove a cataract next week. His hope is that this will increase his vision in his only working eye to at least 20-80.

jmoore (Jim Moore): Saw his retinologist yesterday and had a lengthy surgical procedure to place a band around his eye and (I think I've got this right) fill his left eye with oil. His retina was "peeling away" from his eyeball. After approximately 6 months, he should be able to have cataract surgery on his only working eye.

Skylark: He lives in West Palm Beach and got his power back on today after several "hot, humid nights." He's moving to north central Florida (the Ocala area) in a few weeks and looking forward to having better roads to ride than in SE Florida.

And, not an update on Forum Members, but my daughter and her husband got back to their home in Palm Bay, FL, tonight. They have two homes there, one a small place they refurbished and lived in while looking for their permanent home and that permanent home which they moved into and furnished from scratch about 6 months ago. Rich and Kelly are gun dealers and work three gun shows a month in south Florida. Their gun inventory is their largest asset (well over $1M). They had bought a 24' dual-axle trailer and loaded the guns into it and left Florida last Thursday night. They'd gone to Rich's brother's in Guntersville, AL. Their little house got damage to a fence and a small storage shed and their home had a panel sucked out of the soffit over their front door, but apparently not much else. After buying the last generator in Guntersville, they learned that their power was back on in Palm Bay today.

Keep Eldon, Jim, Skylark, and all the folks who are in the wake of Harvey and Irma in your prayers!
Hey, Thanks to Phil and everyone for keeping us in the loop. You folks are in my thoughts more than you know....

My wife tried to kill me with 2 ea 9 mile hikes in the Blue Mountains this weekend but she failed! It was our first vacation together in this century. Anyway, accept for maybe another short motorcycle trip to the Lochsa river I should become a regular on the forum again and hope to hear you all are well and doing fine as old age will allow us. I am going in for an eye issue next week. As we all have said, "Old age isnt for sissies."

Chris who feels like a one legged man in an a** kicking contest after 18 miles of hiking but who will live (I hope)

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Further update on Eldon: I talked to him this morning. He's seeing as well out of his left eye (the one that had the cataract surgery) as he is out of his right eye. Granted, he can't see particularly well out of his right eye, but this is a pretty big improvement. He's got a follow-up appointment with his eye doc Thursday morning and is trying to figure a way to get to Tucson so he can attend a military reunion there this weekend. He's thinking about chartering a Cessna 182. We'll see what he works out.

Top Bottom