Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Value?

My Gallery

Re: Value?

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    Value and worth are very subjective to the owners of vehicles and those that lust after the bikes/cars.
    OK Chris, since we are taking things out of context what is the worth/value of a pet. I know people who have dogs that poop on the lawn, pee on the kitchen floor, won't come when called, and sometimes bite their owner, but are still highly valued by their owners. Ya, I know, it's hard to be objective with regard to your own pet. But my example shows how far we humans stretch values.

My Gallery

Value is what it is worth to me right now. Not what it is worth for trade-in etc.
    That value changes for me if I am keeping the oil changed/ batteries up etc but not actually having fun with it. It is all a balance that changes often.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    OK Chris, since we are taking things out of context what is the worth/value of a pet. I know people who have dogs that poop on the lawn, pee on the kitchen floor, won't come when called, and sometimes bite their owner, but are still highly valued by their owners. Ya, I know, it's hard to be objective with regard to your own pet. But my example shows how far we humans stretch values.
    Yes! Exactly my point. We have paid $8000 just for one surgery on a dog. Offer us a million dollars for one of our dogs and we would just smile at you...... is that stretching human values? Not at all. It defines them for each of us. If I had a kid that needed a million dollar surgery and you offered a million for one of my dogs, that would force me to reconsider my values....

Back to my case of my beloved Matrix.....Or my NT for that matter.....the decision to keep or dump has nothing to do with cashflow at the end of the day, even though I can justify either decision using the money bomb...the truth is I can afford either decison. It becomes more of a practical/emotional matrix (pun intended). The Nt Doesnt take up much space and I do ride it, and its really not worth much money. But its worth it to me to have it, at least till I get another bike. (The value of having two bikes showed itself this year when the NT broke 18 miles into the Spearfish trip and I just jumped on the FJR and went...no ruinned trip. ) The insurance is a fraction of the Matrix. Right now I have no desire to sell the NT.....the Matrix? It takes up a garage and the cost of maintenance/insurance/tags for the miles I drive it and just the inconvienience of taking car of yet another car makes its demise seem like a given in a few months.

The dogs? Forgetaboutit! LOL!
    2010 NT700v, "Spanish Dancer" , 2014 FJR "Red Torpedo"

Quote Originally Posted by ARKNT View Post
    Value is what it is worth to me right now. Not what it is worth for trade-in etc.
    That value changes for me if I am keeping the oil changed/ batteries up etc but not actually having fun with it. It is all a balance that changes often.

Brad
    Yes! value changes over time. And if you are not having fun with it.....give it the old heave hoe......
    Chris who only misses one bike.....

My Gallery

Today my snowplow and snowmobile were my most valued vehicles. I plowed the driveway twice and groomed the ski trail. Probably will do the same again tomorrow too. It is the first real winter weather we've had for two months. It has been all cold and hardly any snow.

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Today my snowplow and snowmobile were my most valued vehicles. I plowed the driveway twice and groomed the ski trail. Probably will do the same again tomorrow too. It is the first real winter weather we've had for two months. It has been all cold and hardly any snow.
    Yeah, use too. 4 degress tonight and about 10 inches in the last week...I could have skiied today but elected to fast walk.....

My Gallery

I am in northern Kentucky.....the weather today may reach a new record for the day and month - we very well could reach 80 degrees today!

I have a little problem with the hard/fast $3,500 that has been quoted as the "absolute" price that an NT is worth. You may be able to find a good used bike for that price - but the NT had a list price of $9,999 for the base model.........new or pristine bikes may not be available for the quoted $3,500 from a dealer or private owner (I would not sell my bike for that price).

I also believe that "farkles" need to be taken into account. If the bike has a top box, lower engine cowl, alternate windshields, larger panniers, etc. - those should be considered in the value of the bike.

One thing that could be used in the negotiations on a "new" purchase....is that the bike is already 8 years old. While the bike may have been on the showroom and never exposed to the elements.....the coolant, brake fluid and tires have all been aging over that period. I was surprised to learn that the front tire on my 2010 NT700 was actually made in 2008.....the tire was 9 year old when I replaced it last fall. Does coolant, brake fluid age when sitting in a new bike? I am pretty sure that I wouldn't want to ride on 8-10 year old tires, and it is likely that the OEM tires on any NT700 should be replaced before it is put into service.

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpn View Post
    Does coolant, brake fluid age when sitting in a new bike?
    I'm sure they age while sitting, just slower. Brake fluid likes to absorb moisture so it would get some while just sitting. I would probably flush it at 8 years of sitting but it probably would look OK. Sitting probably isn't the best on seals but they would most likely be fine in that timeframe.
    A lot of this would depend on how it was stored the whole time. In an air conditioned/heated space would be best but many dealers display bike outside also where they are more exposed to the elements and sun.

Brad

+ New Posts
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456