Value?

Bike
1999 Kawasaki Concours,
So what are our beloved NTs worth now? Have they become worthless? Are people still interested in them? I ride mine as often as I can and still love it. At some point I may consider selling it to go to a sports car but I'm not there yet. Any thoughts on this subject? Mine is a '10 NT700V non ABS with about 21000 miles. Heli Bar riser and hand protectors and a Honda top box.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Short answer - not much. But "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".

Kelly Blue Book and NADA values them from about $4,000 to $6,500.
There are about 100 of them advertised on Cycle Trader for sale for between $3,500 to $6,500.
eBay auctions have them for sale and most sell for between $2,000 and $3,000.
eBay has quite a few that don't meet minimum sale price so they don't sell.

It took me 5 months to sell my 2011 ABS, pretty well set up, for $3,000

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Like most 8 year old motorcycles the NT isn't worth a lot on the open market. You can check the value on KBB.com, your Trade In value is ~$3,300, See Here. ABS adds $300 to that value. Add on farkles add $0 at a dealer.

At some point I may consider selling it to go to a sports car but I'm not there yet. Any thoughts on this subject?
Yes, been there done that...:) While I still have my FJ1200 it is off the road now while being restored. So for play time we have a 2017 Mustang convertible... All the fun of a motorcycle, at least to me, with none of the hassles.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
You can fit a Miata and your NT in a normal garage space. Both with minimal insurance and low cost you can afford both. Life is short, enjoy.

Bike
2010 Honda NT 700V.
I just sold my nicely farkled 2010 non-ABS NT for $3,500. Great motorcycle, looking for a more nimble, light, sporty machine. As I get older I am more and more sensitive about the weight of the bike.

Contenders? A Street Triple (about 400 lbs), an FZ6r, an SV650 (2013 BLACK Gladius), DR 650, NC700X, CB500X or F, perhaps even that new Kawasaki Versys 300-X.

I had a test ride on a CB1100 (2013 standard)-has a very low COG and handles like a sport bike compared to the NT. 46 lbs lighter than the NT, but the bulkiest of the contenders mentioned above.

Bike
2006 Black NT700V ABS
I noticed at the weekend that my old NT was still up for sale at my local Honda dealer for £300 less than he gave me as a trade-in value. It's been there since 1st July and I don't expect it to move any time soon now it's getting colder & wetter.

IMHO he is asking too much (and I still can't believe he gave me that much as a trade!)

http://www.kent-motorcycles.co.uk/used/aj06udu

Last edited:
Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
Last year I sold my Red 2010 with top box 25,000 miles for $3500. Good tires and no damage. I was thinking $4200 was the value but let it go to make room for an NC700 DCT. I see a lot a NT700's that have been on the market for a long time.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I bought mine in November with about 16k on it without any Farkle for $3,200.

It is not a popular bike that people are lining up to buy them. My local dealer tells me that he only has at least 2 more clients with these bikes.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I am amazed that I see NT's for sale at more then I paid for mine years ago. Mine had top case, and heated grips, I paid $4300 out the door 4 years ago. Why dealers are asking near $5K for one today, I guess they like to see one stilling on floor to highlight another model. I don't think any motorcycle is holding it value. Not enough riders to keep used prices up.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
There's a local dealer that has a new 2010 NT700V (no ABS) on his floor yet, with a $9000 price tag.

When I got my 2015 NT700VA at a different local dealer, they had a total of 3 they were trying to get rid of, the other 2 w/o ABS. I got a great deal on it because they wanted them gone.

This same dealer now has a used 2010 NT700V with top box and 13k miles for $5500:
https://www.foxpowersports.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=3997314

These bikes are for a small niche. I am an engineer, and this bike 'ticked all the boxes' for me -- modest size, small-to-moderate displacement, low-maintenance drive, wind protection, ideally some storage..... (I really wanted a dual-sport so that I could handle gravel roads, but that meant less wind protection and any storage would have to be added.)

Most people buy motorcycles based on emotion, not rationality. The NT700V is a nice bike, but not quite an exciting bike.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
This thread is called "Value." I suggest that what we are mostly talking about is price rather than value. To me, value is a somewhat different variable than price. Value, IMNSHO, is more about how the bike fits my perceived needs compared to other bikes. I'm still of the opinion that if I needed another bike right now, an old, used NT would be my choice. So, for me, the NT's value is still pretty high.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I am an engineer, and this bike 'ticked all the boxes' for me -- modest size, small-to-moderate displacement, low-maintenance drive, wind protection, ideally some storage..... (I really wanted a dual-sport so that I could handle gravel roads, but that meant less wind protection and any storage would have to be added.)
I am an engineer too, Electro-Mechanical to be precise.

This bike and the NC700X DCT model both met all my criteria on what a bike should be, at least to me. I also have a 1987 XL600R as my dual sport, which I build myself from 2 bikes. Now I have an XL with an XR engine.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Most people buy motorcycles based on emotion, not rationality. The NT700V is a nice bike, but not quite an exciting bike.
Absolutely!!!

I loved my NT in the 5 years and 55,000 miles I had it. It was the most comfortable motorcycle I've had, got great fuel economy, and was quite reliable. But I just couldn't resist 30 more hp and 100# less weight in a bike that handled a little better than the NT. Honda could have given the NT a little more power and shaved some weight off of it, but that would have raised the price of a motorcycle that never sold well in the first place. As much as I liked the NT I think Honda did the only thing they could by dropping the NT.

I realized the low value (price) of the NT when a dealer offered me $2,200 on trade for a new motorcycle. That started a discussion that ended in a bad way, but at least there was no blood on the floor. I fealt that was too low a price, but the sales manager really did know what he was doing. I didn't trade it in and never went back there and won't. The NT wasn't pristine, but it was a solid bike, adult ridden, never down, mostly highway miles, and tires at 50%. However there was probably some mud from Alaska that was caked in inaccessable places and held in by tar from road construction. I'm no good at cleaning motorcycles, but it wasn't nearly as bad as Rust-in Peace's.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
If I was in a position to buy anything else to ride and could only spend $3000-$4000, I would pick up a clean NT with low miles for a back up to my current one. I do want a new bike, but I doubt I'll ever like one more than this one.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I plan to ride mine till the wheels fall off. The bike does everything I ask of it and has a timeless design---people frequently mistake it for a BMW. I see nothing out there that would be much of an improvement over what I already have. I would rather spend money upgrading my Shelby GT's brakes and suspension. It is a great car for autocross.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Is it true that dealers will not work on motorcycles that are 10 years and older or is that case by case ?

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Is it true that dealers will not work on motorcycles that are 10 years and older or is that case by case?
I have heard of a few dealers doing that in my area. That means that they are turning away business and money. The point of being in business is to make money, not to turn it away.

I do believe a lot has to do with that motorcycle mechanics are getting younger and lack experience with older bikes. Also, some manufacturers stop supporting bikes older than 10 years old and discontinue parts for them. These dealers do not want to put themselves in a position that they are unable to get OEM replacement parts to repair these bikes. My dealer, Honda of Glendale has been selling Hondas for nealy 50 years and they do not mind working on older bikes. However, they may run into the very same problems with obsolete parts as well.

What can you tell the customer in these situations? "Sorry the piston for your bike was discontinued 20 years ago and none are available." By the way, here's a $500 repair bill for our time up to this point. All you get is an unhappy customer and you are unable to provide them with a running bike. That's probably why many dealers do not want to work on bikes older than 10 years old.

I believe if you own an older bike, it's up to you to know your bike and find part sources for it. I recently found this out the hard way when working on a 1985, 1987 and 1988 XL/XR600Rs. I had to do all my own research on to see if parts from later models will fit on these bikes. I found most parts for a 1991 XR600R are still available and fit these years and models. I had to do that all myself.

Dealers will not do that for you, most likely due to legal reasons that can come back to them down the road.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
A big reason for the 10 Year Old rule is all the plastic body parts, or "tupperware", on bikes. Plastics become very brittle with age and are very easy to damage. If a shop manages to break a body part it maybe almost irreplaceable. Add in base color changes, trim tape styles, etc and it can be a real mess...

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I had hung on to my bike when I bought a new one to do some cosmetic repairs to make it more saleable. What is left now is some make it pretty paint and trim work and the decision to just keep it was an easy one. No I don't really have the space for it and there are other factors that show it the door. I just love the bike. It is a friendly puppy ready to play. What not to love about that. For me the value is more than someone will pay me for it.

Top Bottom