Value?

gr8bond007

I agree with you, Phil...I am very satisfied with NT700 and how it gives me the mileage I long for, comfortable ride and the dependability of Honda.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...at the MSTA Rally, I never felt the opportunity to make the kind of lasting friends I've made at Spearfish. Most of the folks there seemed to have already made their friendships and groups were hard to get into for a newbie...Phil]

That is a general statement that could apply to any motorcycle gathering with hundreds of attendees. The MSTA is aware of that problem and has tried various ploys but I can't say any of them were 100% or even 50% effective. From my own perspective, I worry about a newbie coming into our little group - will they be too fast, too slow, follow too closely, want to ride too far between pit stops, etc. I've ridden with my close pals since the late-90s, both here and abroad.

At someplace like Spearfish, it's easy to forge the bonds of friendship because I imagine it's a laid back atmosphere - similar to our WV NT Gathering - with some riders staying up all hours while yakking around a fire. Just in talking, you can better understand and start to trust someone who was a complete stranger a day ago.

Hey Phil - at least I talked to you during the lunch ride stop! :)

ps. Sorry for hi-jacking the topic. OK, now back to "Values."

Last edited:
I really like ads where they list "vested $xx,xxx" in some object they are trying to sell. I sure hope when I invest it would be I don't say I invested this much and know it worth one 1/3rd of my investment.
Well - I suggest that you never buy a new motorcycle as an "investment" (unless it is a rare limited edition and highly collectible model).

Lightly used motorcycles that are just a few years old are available at a fraction of the original purchase price. That fraction may be 1/3rd.....or 1/2....sort of depends on the bike, how old it is, how well it was taken care of, and the market where you live.

The market for used motorcycles on Craigslist in the Cincinnati area currently has 1,443 listings.....take your pick.
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/search/mca

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
The market for used motorcycles on Craigslist in the Cincinnati area currently has 1,443 listings.....take your pick.
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/search/mca
These prices are not much more than So Cal, Los Angeles pricing. There's always someone on Craigslist thinking that they have a super rare model asking a lunatic's amount for it. Sorry that you guy have those Cafe Racers done by kids asking a king's ransom for it out there too. These fools are killing the vintage motorcycle market and giving us that garbage that cannot be rescued.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
For the small amount I'd get for my NT, I'm going to keep it. It does well on long trips, returns great gas mileage and is troublefree!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
The NT does everything I want it to do. Performance is not as spectacular as a Ninja, but quite adequate. I now get my performance jollies autocrossing the Shelby--which will put out 700HP when it comes out of the shop next month.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Here is a different perspective on an NT's value on the market.

I have this 2006 Toyota Matrix. Its basically a swoopy looking Corolla station wagon. It would be very hard to find one in this (perfect) condition.
Its red, which commands a premium. Its a stick with a power moon roof, 6 cd changer, ABS. It gets an honest 36-38 mpg.
It only has 54,000 mi on it. It stays in its own garage which I had built for it. When it is parked in public, its in the far end of the parking lot.
It has all the maintenance records from the dealer who sold it to me.
I drove it exactly 320 miles since Oct. I drive it 3k a year now, roughly.

I have no idea why I have it, other than I like it and its fun to drive when I have a chance to drive it. With insurance, tags, maintenance, etc, it costs me maybe 1200 bucks a year to keep it. More if you count depreciation.

The wholesale worth of the car is maybe $3800.

I now have a new (red) 2018 Subaru Forester. My wife has her puke green 2015 Forester. We are donating her puke green 2004 Outback to charity. It starts and runs. That's about it. Everything else is broken.

For a back up car, we are keeping my 2004 CRV which is in good condition.

So back to the issue of value/worth.

Should I just sell the Matrix and free up its garage and stop bleeding $1200 a year?
What is its value? To Me?
Note that this Matrix is worth $3800 trade in and maybe $4800-5200 retail.
That is not all that far off from what others are asking for a 2010 NT without ABS, no less.

Value and worth are very subjective to the owners of vehicles and those that lust after the bikes/cars. Objective to dealers and flippers, however.

Sometimes, you just have to let it go....

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Value and worth are very subjective to the owners of vehicles and those that lust after the bikes/cars.
OK Chris, since we are taking things out of context what is the worth/value of a pet. I know people who have dogs that poop on the lawn, pee on the kitchen floor, won't come when called, and sometimes bite their owner, but are still highly valued by their owners. Ya, I know, it's hard to be objective with regard to your own pet. But my example shows how far we humans stretch values.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Value is what it is worth to me right now. Not what it is worth for trade-in etc.
That value changes for me if I am keeping the oil changed/ batteries up etc but not actually having fun with it. It is all a balance that changes often.

Brad

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
OK Chris, since we are taking things out of context what is the worth/value of a pet. I know people who have dogs that poop on the lawn, pee on the kitchen floor, won't come when called, and sometimes bite their owner, but are still highly valued by their owners. Ya, I know, it's hard to be objective with regard to your own pet. But my example shows how far we humans stretch values.
Yes! Exactly my point. We have paid $8000 just for one surgery on a dog. Offer us a million dollars for one of our dogs and we would just smile at you...... is that stretching human values? Not at all. It defines them for each of us. If I had a kid that needed a million dollar surgery and you offered a million for one of my dogs, that would force me to reconsider my values....

Back to my case of my beloved Matrix.....Or my NT for that matter.....the decision to keep or dump has nothing to do with cashflow at the end of the day, even though I can justify either decision using the money bomb...the truth is I can afford either decison. It becomes more of a practical/emotional matrix (pun intended). The Nt Doesnt take up much space and I do ride it, and its really not worth much money. But its worth it to me to have it, at least till I get another bike. (The value of having two bikes showed itself this year when the NT broke 18 miles into the Spearfish trip and I just jumped on the FJR and went...no ruinned trip. ) The insurance is a fraction of the Matrix. Right now I have no desire to sell the NT.....the Matrix? It takes up a garage and the cost of maintenance/insurance/tags for the miles I drive it and just the inconvienience of taking car of yet another car makes its demise seem like a given in a few months.

The dogs? Forgetaboutit! LOL!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Value is what it is worth to me right now. Not what it is worth for trade-in etc.
That value changes for me if I am keeping the oil changed/ batteries up etc but not actually having fun with it. It is all a balance that changes often.

Brad
Yes! value changes over time. And if you are not having fun with it.....give it the old heave hoe......
Chris who only misses one bike.....

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Today my snowplow and snowmobile were my most valued vehicles. I plowed the driveway twice and groomed the ski trail. Probably will do the same again tomorrow too. It is the first real winter weather we've had for two months. It has been all cold and hardly any snow.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Today my snowplow and snowmobile were my most valued vehicles. I plowed the driveway twice and groomed the ski trail. Probably will do the same again tomorrow too. It is the first real winter weather we've had for two months. It has been all cold and hardly any snow.
Yeah, use too. 4 degress tonight and about 10 inches in the last week...I could have skiied today but elected to fast walk.....

I am in northern Kentucky.....the weather today may reach a new record for the day and month - we very well could reach 80 degrees today!

I have a little problem with the hard/fast $3,500 that has been quoted as the "absolute" price that an NT is worth. You may be able to find a good used bike for that price - but the NT had a list price of $9,999 for the base model.........new or pristine bikes may not be available for the quoted $3,500 from a dealer or private owner (I would not sell my bike for that price).

I also believe that "farkles" need to be taken into account. If the bike has a top box, lower engine cowl, alternate windshields, larger panniers, etc. - those should be considered in the value of the bike.

One thing that could be used in the negotiations on a "new" purchase....is that the bike is already 8 years old. While the bike may have been on the showroom and never exposed to the elements.....the coolant, brake fluid and tires have all been aging over that period. I was surprised to learn that the front tire on my 2010 NT700 was actually made in 2008.....the tire was 9 year old when I replaced it last fall. Does coolant, brake fluid age when sitting in a new bike? I am pretty sure that I wouldn't want to ride on 8-10 year old tires, and it is likely that the OEM tires on any NT700 should be replaced before it is put into service.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Does coolant, brake fluid age when sitting in a new bike?
I'm sure they age while sitting, just slower. Brake fluid likes to absorb moisture so it would get some while just sitting. I would probably flush it at 8 years of sitting but it probably would look OK. Sitting probably isn't the best on seals but they would most likely be fine in that timeframe.
A lot of this would depend on how it was stored the whole time. In an air conditioned/heated space would be best but many dealers display bike outside also where they are more exposed to the elements and sun.

Brad

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
There is a very nice 2010 NT with 17k on it I saw at the Prosser Motorsports complex. Lightly farkeled and ready to go for $4,000.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I can see spending money on a pet. I certainly would spend money on "Misty", my cat, should she get sick. I was plagued with nightmares for years following the war (I was a Combat Medic) and the VA had me on an assortment of pills which zombified me. I finally got tired of the pills and cut them out entirely. Misty seems to sense when I am going to have a nightmare, wakes me up by grooming my beard, and then curls up next to me. Who needs pills when one has a "Service Cat"

My Matrix was reluctantly sold. The body and everything was fine, but the car had simply worn out with 230,000 miles on the clock. It was replaced by a Ford Escape SE with a 2L EcoBoost Engine. It's a nice car.

Top Bottom