why is my low beam dim and not out?

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have two things
1: my low beam lamp has gone so dim its as if I have no low beam, while my high beam is fine
Wouldn't the lamp just burn out? Why/how could it just be dim?

2: Can I change it out without removing any Tupperware?

I'm heading for Maggie Valley next week and I want what few lights I have to function right

(5 min later)

OK, question 3: is the low and high beam in the same bulb?
I think the dim bulb is the position light
If so, then question 3 needs n answer

then can I change it without removing Tupperware?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
#3 low beam is up, high beam is down, both h7 bulbs

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Reach behind speedo cluster, in front on handlebars. Its tight to change, will have to swing bars left / right to angle wrist

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Rubber boots to take off, then spring wire to undo bulb

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Clay, it's a good idea to buy some of the high-performance H7 bulbs. I found mine at AutoZone, but O'Reilly's got them, too.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
H7 bulbs are common and they dim with age. Fresh bulbs improve things but do nothing to fix reflectors or lenses. Still worth a shot.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
A dim bulb could be caused by high resistance on that side so my first thought was to disassemble/clean the Hi/Lo switch on the left side of the handlebar and if that didn't work, replace the bulb.

ps. When my bike was fairly new, I had both taillight bulbs expire at different times and sometime later the headlight's low beam burned-out. The new bulbs came from Honda and they've been OK since then so I have to wonder if they didn't have a problem with bulbs installed at the factory in 2009? I bought my NT in Dec 2009.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have had to replace the two brake light bulbs but am still on the original headlight bulbs. I ride everyday.

I bought spares a long time ago waiting for the day they are needed.

I find the stock headlights project enough light for my needs. If one goes for the brighter bulbs be prepared for considerably short life from them.

I have fussed around with H4 bulbs a lot (car and motorcycles), and I suppose I might try some newer bulbs in the NT soon.

The stock OEM bulbs last a very, very long time - by todays standards the OEM bulb is yellow and somewhat dim. The Sylvania Silverstar became the easy to buy high performance bulb sold in every auto and big box store - they last about a year/12,000 miles in my car for regular use (daytime running lamps) - then 1 of them would burn out.

I found the Silvania XtraVision are a good compromise between cost, better lighting, and longevity. They are brighter - but last several years in my car. If you don't mind spending more and replacing often - then get the Sylverstars.

Avoid buying bulbs with a blue coating on them - that is supposed to make them look more like LED or HID lights. Unfortunately the blue coating is filtering out the yellow light.....and that is a very important part of the color spectrum - it helps you spot deer and other brown wildlife!

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Thanks all for your input. I put in a lamp I got at O'Reilly's (Sylvania super white or something)

Now I'm packing and doing packing mock-ups for my trip to the Maggie Valley area beginning 9/30

I'm going to slab up to Memphis on I30/I40
Then take 64 to Chattanooga
Then on Monday meander up to Tellico Plains via Ocoee and Ducktown
Do the Cherahola Skyway, ride up to the entrance to The Dragon but instead of the Dragon, I'm turning east down Moonshiner 28 and wandering over to Maggie Valley
Over the next two days I will explore from my base in Maggie Valley, then wander back to Dallas by way of some some curvy roads
Maybe stop in Birmingham to check out the museum at Barber

Wish me good luck!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Have a great trip, Clay! You're going to be on some great roads. I love the Cherahola Skyway!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Sounds like a nice trip Clay. You might start to see some fall colors and the temperatures in late September should be in the 70-80° range.

While in Maggie Valley stop by the Wheels Through Time museum. While its mostly focused on American made motorcycles its still a worthwhile experience.

Top Bottom