Stay Tuned Honda Oct Announcement

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
Thanks for the info...If Honda would address the load capacity and dismal fuel mileage on the Wing I'd get one. It's ridiculous that such a massive bike only has a load capacity of 412#. Why can't Honda figure out that most Wing buyers aren't kids anymore...and possibly a "little" heavier. Also, personally, I'm not a fan of all the gadgets......can you play a tune with all the buttons? Give me cruise and a GPS....leave the radio, CD player and such off, I don't use them in my car and certainly not on a bike.
To end on a positive note....the photo of the traditional touring Wing looks great.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Too big, too heavy, too complex and too expensive.
Just what I don't need for my NT replacement.
I have ridden the current Goldie and whilst it is impressive machinery, I would not buy one.
Honda needs to wake up that they are competing with manufacturers who can produce a "wanted" bike at a reasonable price.
They won't sell me another bike until they have an effective NT replacement.

Macka

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Frankly I doubt if Honda much cares about the replacement NT segment or the old guys that like them. They see their future elsewhere. Its time we accept that time has passed us by.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Yeah, they are a very successful company and the wind is their flagship... there are several other lightweight options but w/chain drive which not everyone cares for. The ST and NT guys are definitely feeling a bit ignored but Honda does what's right for the company and that's not always what WE want in a bike.. however, they tend to come around eventually.. at least that's what I'm hoping for.

I've had a couple GL1800s back when you could get just ABS and not all the other packaging... that priced me out of a wing quickly... You can tour nicely on one and as big as they seem at first, that weight goes away fast not to mention reverse is a VERY convenient thing to have along with a fairly low seat height.

I will seriously look at this new wing if it truly is a full redesign to see if it meets my needs but I'm also hoping this spurs them to get back on the ST bandwagon, maybe that will spur them on to an even lighter shaft drive NT-ish bike as well.

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
Frankly I doubt if Honda much cares about the replacement NT segment or the old guys that like them. They see their future elsewhere. Its time we accept that time has passed us by.
Sadly, you are probably correct.
My local (Boise) dealers tell me that couldn't sell NT's back in 2010.
I bought my 2010 in 2012, still in the crate.
There seems to be no local interest in a replacement that also won't sell.

An alternative might arise if another market (Europe again?) needed an NT replacement and we benefited from a USA import.

Super Dave

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700, silver
I probably wasted my time....and a stamp...but I wrote Honda a letter, told them that I think they're over looking a market for a good touring bike with out all the gadgetry, Radio with Cd player and such...sort of like the old Interstate series of Goldwings and Silverwings....give me cruise and ABS...even make those options on a less complicated wing...anyway, I'll probably get some pre-printed form letter in response...time will tell.
What I'd really like would be a NT with a bit more power and detachable side cases like my '83 Silverwing 650i had...those side cases were nice. I also threw in my opinion about how their failure to market the NT left a bunch of us "holding the bag" since the NT has almost no resale value anymore. At least I like my NT and will get my money out of it by wearing it out. (or at least trying to wear it out)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I have to admit that I'm skeptical about you even getting a response from Honda. I hope I'm wrong. My guess is that we represent a tiny sliver of Honda's US market which is only a tiny sliver of their world-wide market.

Oh, well...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[My guess is that we represent a tiny sliver of Honda's US market which is only a tiny sliver of their world-wide market...Oh, well...Phil]

The US market for Honda represents less than 2% of their motorcycles sold worldwide. And yes, a great many of the 98% are what we'd call "small bikes" but they're sold by the bazillions. India has five big mfgs including Honda and the annual sales of just one of those exceeds total (all brands) motorcycle sales in the US!

In reference to an NT-replacement, in Europe that spot is occupied by the NC700S and X models that are moderately priced allowing an owner to add the stuff they want, or just keep it "naked." Yeah, I know it has chain drive, no integral luggage and a lousy windscreen but such is life. :)

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I never thought of myself as a Goldwing sort of guy but those pictures look pretty appealing.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I've had 2 1800s and put 50,000 miles on them which is nothing but I would not have a problem going back... the price is a killer...

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I've had 2 1800s and put 50,000 miles on them which is nothing but I would not have a problem going back... the price is a killer...
Yup the price is up there. MSRP from $23,500 - $31,500. Not sure if I would ride one enough to justify the price but they are awful nice machines.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Yup the price is up there. MSRP from $23,500 - $31,500. Not sure if I would ride one enough to justify the price but they are awful nice machines.
Wow, that is easily in top line SlingShot pricing. :eek1: The Wing is nice but for that kind of money I'd be "in" a SlingShot instead of "on" a Wing...

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Honda has nothing I am interested in as a replacement for NT. I might consider a GW Trike in a few years, and dual clutch would be nice on a trike. I don't think any motorcycle company makes a replacement for the NT with the weather coverage and mileage you receive (and run on regular). I know I am NOT the market manufactures are looking to service, too old and cheap. Bring the NT into USA was a fluke, Honda surely already killed it before they imported. Like the old Silverwing ( not scooter, which my brother had), bike was just a accident here and no long term interest. I wonder what some Chinese company will have in store in the future, a middle weight tourer will only come for there or India (a twin Royal Infield perhaps I think so guy in Ohio already makes a twin out of one). Not to worry with limited dealer network, would not interest me.
https://www.motorbeam.com/re-continental-gt-750-video-reveals-exhaust-note/

Last edited:
Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
Honda has nothing I am interested in as a replacement for NT. [/URL]

I more or less agree. I once thought that the CTX1300 was doable, but then I drove one and didn't like it.
Maybe it was the shaft drive that attracted me?

Of interest is that the CTX didn't sell well either. Honda still lists new (non-current) 2014's on their website.

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/ctx1300.aspx

I looked at lots of other motorcycle options too.
In the end, I kept the NC700 but added an NC700 DCT.
I complain about the chain but the bike is sure efficient and easy to drive.

Dave

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I probably wasted my time....and a stamp...but I wrote Honda a letter, told them that I think they're over looking a market for a good touring bike with out all the gadgetry, Radio with Cd player and such...sort of like the old Interstate series of Goldwings and Silverwings....give me cruise and ABS...even make those options on a less complicated wing...anyway, I'll probably get some pre-printed form letter in response...time will tell.
What I'd really like would be a NT with a bit more power and detachable side cases like my '83 Silverwing 650i had...those side cases were nice. I also threw in my opinion about how their failure to market the NT left a bunch of us "holding the bag" since the NT has almost no resale value anymore. At least I like my NT and will get my money out of it by wearing it out. (or at least trying to wear it out)
Just curious, it's been a month now. Have you received a response from Honda?

Mike

Top Bottom