Fuel pump issue?

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
The NT has a sealed fuel system due to the requirement of evaporative emissions, thus you will not find a vented fuel cap ala the older bikes from days gone by.

Mike

You are correct, the fuel cap is not vented, but the fuel tank is vented thru the EVAP system. What is sometimes referred to as the charcoal cannisters system. These systems can and do malfunction and will cause the symptoms described.

OP
OP
Bike
Black NT680
Macka, I've done your favourite road from Albury to Walwa twice in the last 10 days!

I live in Wodonga, and just rode down to Sydney via Walwa, Thredbo, Canberra, Nowra then returned (after track-riding the NT at Eastern Creek) via the Hume and old Hume Highway, before turning off near Jinjellic to Tumbarumba, back to Wodonga via your favourite road (I also got through Granya Gap again).

Good riding around here, especially off-road. My preference is dirt-road riding, but don't complain about the tar!

OP
OP
Bike
Black NT680
Clyde, even though I've ordered a pump, how do I check the charc canister?

I only have the user's manual for this bike which isn't too detailed.

Thanks, Slob.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
A service manual is the way to go.
Basically the tank is vented to a charcoal can. When the engine is running air and fuel vapors are sucked into the engine to burn. So for it to operate properly all of the hoses must pass air freely (no plugs, no kinks), the solenoid valve must open/close correctly, and the canister must also flow through it. This assumes the hoses are hooked up correctly and the solenoid gets power when needed (from the ECU I believe).

Brad

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
This was on your fav road last Thursday, Macka. Things are still green!

WP_20170928_15_41_49_Pro.jpg
Yes, most of the Southern parts are still green.
Further North in the state is the worrying area.
BTW, that looks like my bike! Did you sneak a picture of me without me knowing it?
I use a seat bag too but it is a bigger unit, an Rjays Expandable one.
I came home from Tumut via the Hume on the following Monday trying to avoid most of the rain and went through the Albury by-pass.
It started to drizzle about 30 minutes North of Albury for about 15 minutes and then started to rain properly from Euroa until Kalkallo.
Next time I am heading up that way I will PM you for a possible meet-up.
It won't be until the New Year though as I am heading overseas for two months soon.

Macka

Last edited:
Top Bottom