83 GL650i on ebay

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
Just cruising ebay and came across a silver "83 Silverwing...guy only wants $1100. looks just like my first bike...I was tempted, but I don't need another bike that's too small for me and my wife to ride together.....that old silverwing was one reason I picked up my NT...seemed like a modern version of the ole girl...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had an '83 GL650i Sillverwing. It was the first bike I ever owned. It had the largest windscreen JC Whitney sold for the Goldwing -- the thing stuck up about 6" above the top of my head. The windscreen's size imposed a drag-limited top speed of 94mph on my baby 'Wing, but it sure made for a quiet place to ride. I smoked a pipe back then and never tried it but I was convinced i could have smoked the pipe while riding.

The bike had about 20K miles on it when I bought it but hadn't been ridden much for the previous 5-6 years. Nearly every seal on the bike leaked, but since I didn't have any money for repairs, I just monitored fluid levels. By the time I'd ridden the bike 5K miles, it had quit leaking anything.

I paid $2500 for it, rode it 19K miles in the 13 months before I bought my first brand-new bike, a '99 Kawasaki Concours. I sold it to a woman whose husband had an '83 Goldwing GL1100. They were both the Wineberry red color and matched perfectly. I got $2200 for the bike. I have very fond memories of my little 'Wing. I had wanted a Pacific Coast but since I was going through a divorce then, I didn't have the money to buy a PC.

Mine had the Markland floorboards and engine/bag protection bars on it plus a Markland conversion that let you have the little trunk behind the pillion position.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[Nearly every seal on the bike leaked, but...By the time I'd ridden the bike 5K miles, it had quit leaking anything...Phil]

Amazing how lubrication and exercise can cause seals to actually seal! This is why I fire-up my bikes about once every few weeks even during the dead of winter. I push them out of the garage and let them run in the driveway until the cooling fan kicks ON.

ps. Phil - you should have popped for a PC800 but I do understand your situation at the time. :-(

Top Bottom