Tonight, We're in Kansas (and the sink in our motel room is named "Toto")

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Joanne's 55th Class Reunion is this weekend, so we came to Wichita today. Separately, as usual -- Joanne's got two sisters here and she always stays and helps them with things around their houses. That gives me an excuse to ride while she drives.

I woke up this morning at 6:15 (after my usual 3-4 hours sleep on the night before a ride) and looked out the window to be greeted by very thick fog. I packed my stuff and decided I'd wait a bit before i headed east. Joanne left a little before 8AM and called me from Kersey, a own just south of the North Platte River, about 15 miles east of our house, to tell me that it was clear there. So, I piddled around a bit and got on the bike at 9:20. Sure enough, it was clear to Kersey, but I could see low-lying clouds east and south of me. BTW, if you want to follow my Spotwalla track for this trip, you can access it with this link: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=16ab559d70a6297075&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

When I got to Brush, about 60 miles east of our home in Greeley, I turned south on CO-71 and headed for Last Chance, where 71 crosses US-36. About 10 miles north of Last Chance, I rode into heavy mist that quickly turned to fog. From Last Chance to Cope, visibility was down to 1/8 mile or less. It was also cold and very damp. I had cleverly chosen not to wear my heated jacket because the sun had been shining at home. And, since I was losing altitude, I figured it would warm up. Well, it did, but not for another 100+ miles.

I finally got to Burlington, the last town in Colorado on I-70 and made my first gas stop. While I was doing that I took off my 'Stitch so I could attend to pressing biological needs. When I put it back on the long zipper came apart. I fiddled with it for over half an hour before i figured out that it started at the top and all I needed to do was put the slider on the right-hand side of the zipper and then just not go all the way to the bottom with it.

Riding across Kansas was decent, with wind from the NE until about Oakley, when I crossed a frontal boundary and the wind switched to the SE. By Russell, and my second gas stop, it was hot. I unzipped my vents, which meant that within 40 miles, I was riding into rain again. Actually, it didn't rain on me till Newton, but the road was wet. At Newton it started raining and it got dark. My driving lights seemed to be doing weird things, too. I slowed down and finally got into Wichita about 1/2 hour after official sunset, and it was dark, wet, and traffic was thick. My trusty GPS, Shirley, led me to the site of the LaQuinta where we're staying, but there was no LaQuinta here. I had made our reservations just a bit over two weeks ago. I wandered around, looking riding on streets that had lots of water in low places and, thankfully, was going slow enough to hear my phone ring. I stopped and answered and she told me that she had been driving around in circles, too, for nearly an hour, before she learned that the LaQuinta isn't the LaQuinta any more. So, we are at the Garden Inn and Suites in the old LaQuinta building.

I learned that the reason my driving lights were doing weird things was that the left one's mounting screw had backed about nearly 1/2 inch. I'm luck it didn't back all the way out!

We had a good supper and now we're decompressing from our travel. Joanne had been in lots more rain than I had in Kansas, but had missed the mist and fog in Colorado.

570 miles for the day, and I'm 64 miles from the 125,000-mile mark!

Reunion stuff and visits with the sisters tomorrow and Saturday. On Sunday, I'll visit the sisters some more and then ride down to Winfield (about 60 miles south of Wichita) to visit a cousin and his wife and his mother, my favorite surviving aunt.

Then I'll ride home on Tuesday. Sounds like I could get wet again and also like I'll be appreciating my Warm'n'Safe jacket.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Re: Tonight, We're in Kansas (and the sink in our motel room is named "Toto")

So, why is the sink in the room named "Toto"? Enquiring minds want to know.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

I seem to recall that there is a brand of sink & toilets called "Toto." And it's not related to being in Kansas. :)

Bike
Honda NT700V

So, I piddled around a bit and got on the bike at 9:20.
Translation: I sat in MacDonalds and drank all their coffee.

Toto! In my travels, I've taken note of which toilets flush the best. I now have 2 Toto toilets at home. Next is their toilet seat. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009IJ2LJ2/ref=asc_df_B009IJ2LJ25203546/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B009IJ2LJ2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167149059113&hvpos=1o9&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6102630408868941908&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007937&hvtargid=pla-274099457923

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

The sink is a Toto brand.

And, FYI, Tosh, I wasn't even at McDonald's. But I did drink all the coffee I had at home before I left.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red

What would we possibly do without coffee? I drink between 9 and 10 cups a day. Been told it is too much---been doing it for years. Somehow it works for me

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

George, that's one heck of a toilet seat! Let us know when you get yours and I'll consider making your bathroom a stop on one of my trips.

lynnbpa

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700

What would we possibly do without coffee? I drink between 9 and 10 cups a day. Been told it is too much---been doing it for years. Somehow it works for me
One of my "accomplishments" in retirement that I'm proudest of is that I haven't had any coffee since that last day at work - nine years+ now. I've always preferred tea, but drank coffee for the caffeine kick that I never felt from tea.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

I'm not in Kansas anymore, Toto! I visited my cousin and his wife in Winfield Monday morning and then we went down to Ark City (10 miles south) and visited my aunt in her assisted living facility. It's sad to see people you love fading away. Kevin (my cousin) says his mom doesn't do much but sit and stare at the wall and complain about the food. Nevertheless, it was good to see her and I think I brightened her day at least a little.

I left Winfield at about 2:30 and the temperature was 70F, with a strong south wind blowing. I rode west through Oxford and got onto the Kansas Turnpike. Before I rode the 30 miles or so to Wichita, I had entered the frontal boundary and by the time I got north of Wichita, I was bucking a very strong wind and the temperature was sliding down into the 50s. I stopped at a rest area south of Salina to close the vents on my 'Stitch and planned on putting on my heated jacket. That was a no-go because I couldn't get the right pannier open (I guess it's time to either play latch mechanic or finally get around to installing the latches that have been on my workbench for several months). I had a fairly heavy long-sleeved shirt in the trunk and put that on. It worked for a while.

But then I got to I-70 and headed west. By then the wind was blowing 30-40mph with gusts of 50mph, straight out of the north. Without the protection from the windscreen, I got colder and colder. In addition to that, the wind was playing havoc with my speed and my gas mileage. When I was about 20 miles from Russell, my intended stop for the night, it was obvious my gas wasn't going to last that far, so I pulled off and filled up. While I was in the gas station, I pulled the seat and managed to get the right pannier open to retrieve my heated jacket. I also opted for my heavy-duty gloves that are waterproof and cover the cuffs of the 'Stitch. With the changes in garb, I was good to go. But the wind still wasn't any fun and even though I was only 30 miles or so from Hayes, i decided to stick with the plan and stopped at Russell. Good decision because by the time I got checked in to the motel, it was raining. The rain was light and stopped after another half hour.

It rained harder during the night. When I got up, it was still cloudy and windy with the temperature at about 40. It had snowed in Greeley and was freezing in eastern Colorado this morning, so I got approval for a late departure and stayed in Russell till noon, CDT. By Russell, I could see blue sky in front of me. The wind was still blowing 30-35 but wasn't gusting. [BTW, check my other new thread: "Help, I Need Diagnostic Assistance"]. I stopped for gas at Goodland and then headed north toward St Francis. By the time I got there the wind had slacked way off. When I got into Colorado, the temperature was into low 60s until about 35 miles east of Greeley. I got home at 6:10 and was warmly greeted by my cat, who raced me to the kitchen.

I rode 208 miles Monday and 390 today; 1,223 for the trip.

Bike
2006 Black NT700V ABS

I read the name Wichita and I will now have Glen Campbell in my head for the rest of the day.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro

Good to know you are home safe, all these little challenges along the way make the journey more memorable.

Seagrass

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike

all these little challenges along the way make the journey more memorable.
Absolutely! Riding without the challenges could get boring after a while. :)

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural

What is a long ride without a little rain, usually not a issue for riders who are prepared. Lot of rain, no preparation is enough.

Top Bottom