Help! I Need Diagnostic Assistance

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The "mechanic-in-a-can" has sorted my engine issues that I was talking about after my Kansas trip. I've only ridden the bike about 240 miles since I got back from Kansas and I had put 5 oz of Seafoam in before I rode it out Ft Morgan and back (113 mile roundtip). It had seemed as if the "missing" and lack of power that I had endured when I was coming back from Wichita, seemed better by the time I got back from Ft Morgan. Today I had added another 3 oz and topped off the tank before I headed to Front Range Airport for my meeting with Chuck. As far as i can tell, the bike was running normally! Yea!!

I had never used Seafoam before. Techron has been my go-to product for engine tuning but Seafoam may have won my loyalty from here on out. Chuck says that all these products are basically diesel fuel mixed with alcohol. I don't know about that and Chuck has proven that he knows way more than I do about all things mechanical. But since I'm always looking for the easy way out, Seafoam will work for me!
Seafoam is a different critter than Techron or the other cleaners that use a kerosene base. It has stronger solvents which act much quicker. Techron et al is a good preventive additive while Seafoam is more of a "rescue" additive.

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Seafoam is a different critter than Techron or the other cleaners that use a kerosene base.
I think that is correct. I used it in my old Concours 10. It broke loose enough crud to plug up all 4 carburetors. Oh well, they needed cleaning anyway. And before some of you knowledgable folks ask, I did have an aftermarket inline fuel filter installed at the time.

Phil, I'm glad your issue is resolved. I was afraid you got your liquids mixed up again and put coffee in your gas tank (sort of like the stove fuel and water episode).

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Phil, I'm glad your issue is resolved. I was afraid you got your liquids mixed up again and put coffee in your gas tank (sort of like the stove fuel and water episode).
If it's real coffee, not some foo-foo crap :rolleyes1:, it should make the NT run better. Good coffee is like 104+ Octane boost...:wink:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
If it's real coffee, not some foo-foo crap , it should make the NT run better. Good coffee is like 104+ Octane boost...
OK then, maybe it was contaminatioin from his "well used" thermos bottle.

Sorry Phil, but you had to know this would never die.

Last edited:
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
There's the possibility fuel pump is on its way out. I had one go out intermittently on my ST1300 years ago. The bike would sometimes lose power or just cut out on me. Occasionally surge the engine.

[video=youtube;k7xzvMvs8rM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7xzvMvs8rM[/video]

This was due to the pump not pressurizing the fuel rail to proper PSI. You might be seeing the telltales of the fuel pump warning signs.

If the fuel pump does out or the fuel rail is not at the specified pressure, the ECU will not throw a MIL Code.

Just a suggestion or something to keep in the back of your mind.

Top Bottom