Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! I Need Diagnostic Assistance

My Gallery

Re: Help! I Need Diagnostic Assistance

As it is happening at around 5,000 RPM in all gears my first thought is lack of fuel. I have seen this previously on various vehicles.

The second possibility is spark plugs or plug leads and the third is the air filter.

I would try the spark plugs first as they are cheap and fairly easy to replace. While replacing them check the air filter and replace if necessary.

Seagrass

› Site Search for: Help! I Need Diagnostic Assistance
    Current Bikes owned 2007 NT700V, 1982 Honda CX500-TC (Turbo)
    NT700 Only

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Tarman View Post
    I'll add some Seafoam today.

The miss seems to be consistent in all gears and is more related to throttle position than rpm. I think. I'll check that too.

Thanks for the suggestions!s
    If the throttle position (twist grip rotation) seems consistent, then that would perhaps be a clue to the TPS. Usually, the TPS doesn't fail in its entirety though. They seem to develop a bad spot and the problem may seem to go away after you twist through that bad spot. If your tech has an old fashioned analog volt/ohmmeter, it's quick work to check the TPS with a sweep test. On the NT however, it is NOT quick work getting TO the TPS.

Mike

I would first try the Seafoam cure. BTW, how many miles on the plugs? I usually change mine at 16K intervals. Even though mother Honda recommends 8K when I pulled mine at 8K and they were still pristine. They still look pretty good at 16K with minimal electrode erosion.
    "tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...." Mark Twain

(Threadstarter)
    2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Well, I bought the Seafoam today. Didn't get it in the tank. I'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 125,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

FEED THE Hamsters. All the previous ideas are good, Has the bike kicked up any codes, to help in the trouble shooting. Maybe a newer less traveled NT is in store for you Phil. Aurora Honda has a 2011 used unit on their sales floor.
    Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001 NTOC#854
    14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)14 DL650[I] (Wee II) 17 VX300 Versys (Little Gray Bike)
    https://www.facebook.com/chuck.henderson.980

My Gallery

As mentioned it is mostly a crapshoot at this point. It sounds as higher loading causes it to surface which can be many things such as lack of fuel, lack of air, weak ignition, even a clogged muffler (cat converter). I would let the seafoam work, check the air filter, and maybe plugs while in the air cleaner area.
    I don't suppose some linkage on your cruise control has slipped or something and is preventing the throttle butterflys from opening all the way up is it?

Good luck,
    Brad

(Threadstarter)
    2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

I don't have any MIL codes showing and when the cruise control is disengaged (or even when it's engaged, for that matter) there isn't any change in the feel when of the throttle when I turn the grip all the way open.

My Gallery

The only other thing I can think that may cause the problem could be the charcoal Canister / vent system..I have never experienced any related issues with this setup, but have heard that the canister can get flooded with fuel..which effectively restricts the venting....Maybe ride with the gas cap loose may solve the problem temporary..

(Threadstarter)
    2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Reniram View Post
    The only other thing I can think that may cause the problem could be the charcoal Canister / vent system..I have never experienced any related issues with this setup, but have heard that the canister can get flooded with fuel..which effectively restricts the venting....Maybe ride with the gas cap loose may solve the problem temporary..
    I hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a try and it's a cheap fix. Thanks!

My Gallery

This is all ancient history to me but I recall the function of the charcoal canister is to accept gasoline vapors after the engine is shut OFF and once the engine is started the next time, it draws those vapors back into the engine for normal combustion.

On a car, it's much easier to ruin the charcoal filter by overfilling the tank because it has a line near the filler neck that can send raw gasoline to the charcoal canister but on our NTs, the overflow just dumps onto the ground. :-)

Having it lose power at nearly the same RPM in each gear points to a fuel feed or perhaps ignition/TPS problem. The NT does have a fuel filter and it's integral with the fuel pump and not offered as a separate part.
    Last edited by DirtFlier; 10-13-2017 at 02:51 PM.

+ New Posts
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12