The new Wing

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
I really like the looks of the new tour model....I couldn't find the load capacity for it so I sent momma Honda email on 2/8.....got a phone call from them this eve...anyway, unfortunately, the total load capacity for the tour is a very disappointing 423#..............had a brief conversation with the Honda rep...told him I could see that they were aiming for a youger rider but that true demographic for the wing was older (fatter) guys who now could afford a $25,000 toy...anyway...so much for me getting a new wing...sure are sharp looking though.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I really like the looks of the new tour model....I couldn't find the load capacity for it so I sent momma Honda email on 2/8.....got a phone call from them this eve...anyway, unfortunately, the total load capacity for the tour is a very disappointing 423#..............had a brief conversation with the Honda rep...told him I could see that they were aiming for a youger rider but that true demographic for the wing was older (fatter) guys who now could afford a $25,000 toy...anyway...so much for me getting a new wing...sure are sharp looking though.
It's always been in that similar range, but that doesn't keep folks from overloading them.. I don't really see it as an issue.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
+1 on Mellow's comments.

A lot of dedicated Gold Wing riders from 10-15 years ago, are no longer riding. During the 90s, there were many GWRRA chapters in my area of OH but now it's rare to see one and if I do see one, it's never in a group of GLs out of a ride.

It's better for Honda to aim for a slightly younger demographic. :)

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
+1 on Mellow's comments.

A lot of dedicated Gold Wing riders from 10-15 years ago, are no longer riding. During the 90s, there were many GWRRA chapters in my area of OH but now it's rare to see one and if I do see one, it's never in a group of GLs out of a ride.

It's better for Honda to aim for a slightly younger demographic. :)
plus, since it's getting harder and harder to find a manual transmission vehicle these days, the DCT option also focuses on those not interested in that option... Actually, I'm intrigued by it and would love to give the new wing a test ride... I know many will say that changing gears is a no-brainer and muscle memory so why take away something that is a huge part of the fun.. however, changing gears IS time consuming and DOES take your brain time to see/think/respond.. even if it feels like muscle memory and doesn't take you any time.. it actually does... so if the bike can do that in 1/100th the time you do... that may be the difference between dealing with road conditions better and that hesitation which could cause issues. How many times have you missed a gear or come to a stop and thought you were in first but it was some other gear, or stalled at a light? Not often, but... it happens... it does to me. Anyway, like I said, I'm intrigued by DCT and all the great comments I've heard about it... but, the Super Tenere fits me and only has 41,000 miles on it and does everything I need/want so as much as I like the wing, and have had 2 in the past, I need to avoid even looking too closely at one.

Many ST guys are looking hard at it as if you look at the Side by Side pictures of the prev Wing and ST1300 and prev Wing and New Wing... it looks a lot like what an ST replacement would look like, the engine is the big giveaway.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
My previous ride was a Suzuki Burgman 650, which had a computer-controlled steel link-belt CVT transmission. The engine and transmission on that thing were excellent. And you wouldn't believe how much not shifting really DOES 'free your mind', and allow you to just point your way through the corners and not think about what gear you're in. I drive a manual transmission car, and I would be the first to say, "C'mon, it doesn't take that much mental energy to shift...." But you would be surprised how nice an automatic is on 2 wheels.

The Burgman had great wind protection, multiple foot positions on the floorboards, a huge trunk under the seat.... The thing that sucked was the crude 4" suspension and the slightly smaller wheels. I absolutely LOVE the way my NT700V rides and handles. The downside is that I have to shift now. And I keep going for that elusive 6th gear..... :rolleyes1:

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
I agree on many of these points.

I have a Honda NC700 with the DCT .
The rural rides are "mind freeing" as Sojourner commented.
But many of you are also right that it isn't much fun when I am road racing through the twisties.
I couldn't decide which way to go and ended up with the two bikes.
The two bikes together are a lot less money than the Wing.

Dave

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have a Honda NC700 with the DCT .
The rural rides are "mind freeing" as Sojourner commented.
But many of you are also right that it isn't much fun when I am road racing through the twisties.

Honda has this angle covered too. For $600 they offer an optional foot shift lever that connects to the DCT electronics. Put it in Manual and snick thru the gears with your foot instead of your fingertips. And no clutch to distract you. Wow. Just Wow. A local dealer is getting in 5 or 6 a week and told me that the wife and I could do a test ride as soon as he gets one in that is not already spoken for.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Riding through the twisties on my NC700X/w DCT is fun because I use the paddles to downshift while allowing the computer to do the upshifting. I much prefer to downshift early (overriding the computer) using the downshift paddle and I even do that when rolling to a stop in town. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Y'know, although we don't have many twisties here in Michigan, on the occasions where we do, I didn't find my Suzuki Burgman super-scooter to be lacking anything. However, that bike had an electronically-controlled CVT transmission, so it was constantly adjusting. Suzuki did an amazing job with that transmission. It was always where you wanted it in a corner. Just roll the ride-by-wire throttle on or off. Give it some extra juice in a corner if you like. And it even had engine braking, unlike most V-belt CVT scooters.

However, I could imagine with a DCT, the bike may shift at times that doesn't make sense if you were doing it manually (since you can anticipate what's a head, and the bike can't), and that may feel a little weird. I've never ridden one. I've driven a Volkswagen with their DSG transmission, and was amazed at how nice that was, though.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I know many will say that changing gears is a no-brainer and muscle memory so why to take away something that is a huge part of the fun..
I disagree. I have an NC700X with DCT. The fact is that I find myself having more fun and the ability to pay more attention to things during the ride. The experience is hard to put into words for others to comprehend. Its something that people have to experience for themselves and keep an open mind to the experiences that DCT can offer.

I can easily switch between all the modes with minimal thought. On a day I ride NaNCy into work, I use all 3 modes, D-Mode, S-Mode, and M/T-Mode.

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I disagree. I have an NC700X with DCT. The fact is that I find myself having more fun and the ability to pay more attention to things during the ride. The experience is hard to put into words for others to comprehend. Its something that people have to experience for themselves and keep an open mind to the experiences that DCT can offer.

I can easily switch between all the modes with minimal thought. On a day I ride NaNCy into work, I use all 3 modes, D-Mode, S-Mode, and M/T-Mode.
Thanks, I'm afraid to take any DCT bike for a ride... LOL.. I might like it too much.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I can remember when I had a 3 on the tree and it was fine. Well today, not one stick in my 4 vehicles or my Kubota, or lawnmower. I do not miss shifting them, and don't think I miss it on a motorcycle: sure sometimes I down shift RV or truck and do not use OD when pulling trailer. I think on a bike I might do the same, down shift at times.

Last edited:
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Thanks, I'm afraid to take any DCT bike for a ride... LOL.. I might like it too much.
I know what you mean. I also got to ride the prototype of the new Gold Wing with the DCT nearly 3 years go out in the Mojave Desert on a test track. I can it was very rough when compared to the production release.

What I liked about this bike was the "Walk Mode" where the bike could be put into creep mode and move forward or reverse for maneuvering the bike in tight situations. This optional made it and is only available on the DCT Models. If I remember correctly, the "+" will move the bike forward and the "-" will move it in reverse.

WALKING MODE
A big leap forward for 2018: The new Gold Wing DCT models feature “Walking Mode,” which lets you creep forward under power at a walking pace. Think how easy it will be to get in and out of tight parking spots with a fully loaded bike

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I never thought I'd like the "paddle shift" automatic in a car as much as a manual transmission. But when I put my Mustang in "Sport" or "Track" mode it is a blast to play with the paddles. Just as effective as shifting a manual transmission and I don't have to worry about missing a shift or over revving as the computer won't let it. One of these days I'm going to have to try out a DCT sport bike and see if it is as much fun...

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
I stopped at my local Honda pusher' store today, mostly to look at the new Goldwing.
He reports that 75% of his orders are for one of the DCT models.
All the Wing drivers were over 60 years old..

He also sold three Africa Twins last month and they were all DCTs.
Two were to drivers "about" retirement age and one was in his late 40's.

I am 68 and I still have mixed feeling about the DCT in my NC700.
But it did drive it 11,000 miles the first year.

Dave

Top Bottom