2018 nc 750x

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Nice looking scoot. Dunno why mother Honda won't let us have the 750 in the US.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Nice looking scoot. Dunno why mother Honda won't let us have the 750 in the US.

Mike
Interesting...I had just posted this afternoon to yellownev, our new member from the moorlands of Staffordshire, UK, about the NC750. I had said this: "One example that I don't understand is that Honda gives us an NC700, not the NC750 that you guys in the UK get. I'm surprised they keep making basically two models of the same bike. I don't want an NC750, but I'm always impressed with how much my favorite motorcycle magazine, BIKE from the UK, likes it. I still want a shaft drive sport-touring bike with 700-800cc...like the NT700VA."

My friend Larry Hull, who was at the NT/ST-Owners Club Rally in Spearfish the day we rode to Devil's Tower had an NC700X when we met two years ago. He had replaced it this year with a Versys (IIRC). He had done some modifications to his NC700 that made it more protected while riding than the stock bike. Things I didn't like (and he didn't either) were the size of the Honda panniers. You can see on the pictures that are shown on the YouTube video that those panniers appear to be fairly decent sized, but behind the outer part, they rapidly decrease in volume where they attach to the bike.

BIKE consistently ranks it as one of the best bikes available in the UK, so I'm glad they finally decided to bring the 750cc version to the US.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Nice looking bike. I like the size and weight. I don't mind the chain drive (as long as it has a center stand). But I didn't see a center stand on the video. Versys made that mistake too. It would also have to have electronic cruise contol and heated grips available. The Givi windscreen looked like a better size. good selection of bags from Givi. It looks like they upsized the engine a little and the red line. Seems that was needed as I've heard the NC 700s began to run short on power at high freeway speeds. I'm sure the 478# is without panniers so better make that a 530# bike to be realistic. And 3.7 gallons of gas won't make it as top heavy as 5.2 gallons.

I just stored my bike and suspended the insurance for the winter. Now I have a few months to oogle over new bikes.

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
I have both the NT700 and the NC700, but the NC is the DCT model.
It does weigh 500 lbs. but the weight is kept so low that it is easy to maneuver.
The engine is very smooth too.
I dislike the chain but Honda sells a center stand for only $159.
The engine turns very slow and provides exceptional fuel economy: at least 10% higher than the NT.

I only use the NC for day trips and the front trunk (frunk?) is all it needs.
It is a fun bike, once I got used to the DCT.

Dave

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Larry Hull, my friend who owned an NC700 (manual clutch version, IIRC) and I rode together on one long ride. We left here and rode through Loveland and Estes Park, over Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park, then over Willow Creek Pass and up to Walden for lunch. That was 162 miles from here, reaching an altitude of 12,200+ feet. Riding through the Park, the speed limit has been lowered to 35mph, and high altitude seems to help gas mileage. But after we got on CO-125 from just west of Granby and rode it up to Walden, I was riding "briskly." I was surprised that when I'd pass a slower vehicle, Larry stayed right with me. After lunch we stopped at a gas station in Walden to fill up the 130 mile ride home.

As I was calculating my mileage, I remember feeling pretty cocky when it turned out to be 58mpg. But then Larry walked over and his had been 73 mpg. So, if I could have kept the 58mph average, I would have had a range of 302 miles. And if Larry could have kept his 73mpg average, his range would have been 270.

I have to admit, I was more impressed than I expected to be. But I still haven't ridden an NC700. One of these days, maybe I'll throw a leg over the NC750. :)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...I was more impressed than I expected to be. But I still haven't ridden an NC700...]

I bought a 2013 model NC700X/w DCT from Elizilla a few years back and really enjoy it. It lacks good wind protection so I still use the NT as my long distance bike but the NC gets ridden a lot more. It did take a while to reprogram my (older!) brain for the DCT and also in regards to chain maintenance but now it seems natural. The gas tank capacity being smaller than the NT was a concern initially but it does around 200-miles before I start looking for a gas station so that's OK. And its high speed capability is good as far as I'm concerned because it still has plenty of steam at 75-80 mph.

The NC's odometer now reads close to 20k, without taking any real long trips. :)

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Maroon NT700V
My very first bike was a 2012 NC700X. Great beginner bike, but the stock seat was AWFUL. Put an aftermarket seat on (can't remember which) and could ride 'almost' a full tank without comfort issues. Sipped gas like I've never seen; I do miss it sometimes but I love my NT700V alot better. I do like the new colors of the later versions of the NC700X (and now the NC750X).
nc700x.jpg

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
DirtFlier, With the high saddle did you have to lower the NC700X and were kits for that generally available ?

Top Bottom