NC750x finally coming here

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Chris - I don't think the NC series was ever conceived as a replacement for the NT. To me it was designed to keep production costs down while creating a lighter (for Honda!) bike that provides great fuel economy. It can be modified/farkled to satisfy some of its shortcomings for touring but no one would ever call it a touring bike or even a sport touring bike. Of course those categories are always in evolution because we now have large ADV bikes now being used as "touring bikes."

ps. My 2nd bike is an NC700X/DCT with hard bags and taller windshield. :)

Last edited:
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
My 2nd bike is an NC700X/DCT with hard bags and taller windshield. :)
I thought that I recognized your user name from the NC700X Forum.

The NC750X is quite a hot topic on that forum. I had the change to bend the ear of an engineer from Honda Japan while at last years IMS in Long Beach. The subject of bringing the NC750X coming stateside came up in the conversion. He immediately brought up the EPA certication would be required. Seems that American Honda finally got that taken care of and the bike is finally coming here to the states.

My 2013 NC700X DCT is fine and has done me well. There's no need to go out and buy a new one, even if it's a 750.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
In the 80s, the certification costs per model was around $50k and it included other bikes using the same engine - NC700X and NC700S. An increase in engine size would require a new certification and those costs....again. :-(

A whole bunch of really interesting bikes new for 2018...just wish they would put a shaft on some of them to get me excited...I don't ask for much...adventure style..cruise.. heated grips..self cancel turn signals..tubeless tires..shaft drive....damn so close!....

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris - I don't think the NC series was ever conceived as a replacement for the NT. To me it was designed to keep production costs down while creating a lighter (for Honda!) bike that provides great fuel economy. It can be modified/farkled to satisfy some of its shortcomings for touring but no one would ever call it a touring bike or even a sport touring bike. Of course those categories are always in evolution because we now have large ADV bikes now being used as "touring bikes."

ps. My 2nd bike is an NC700X/DCT with hard bags and taller windshield. :)
The Canadian one I saw on the ferry to Kaslo was beautiful. Great solid red "Tank", matching bags and trunk, tall wind screen. A bit like this.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nvdLvKducno/maxresdefault.jpg

Bit with this more pleasing paint scheme.
http://www.insidemotorcycles.com/media/k2/items/cache/920e74ddc49b56e1eedc29b60cb99fb2_XL.jpg

While it may not be a direct replacement for the NT, if there were no NT, I would consider this bike as a good mid-sized tourer.

Right now I am lusting after a new BMW F750 GS....two or three ride modes but still no cruise control....but oh so nice.....

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
A whole bunch of really interesting bikes new for 2018...just wish they would put a shaft on some of them to get me excited...I don't ask for much...adventure style..cruise.. heated grips..self cancel turn signals..tubeless tires..shaft drive....damn so close!....
Dont hold your breath ref the shaft. Weight and cost are the big reasons. Belts are OK but as Frosty found out, if you get a rock between the "sproket" and the belt, you have a holed belt so maybe adventure bikes are less likely to have those. I loved my enclosed chain on my XV920RH. Lithium grease bath....never wore out a chain or sproket.....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I loved my enclosed chain on my XV920RH. Lithium grease bath....never wore out a chain or sproket.....
I don't know why there aren't more enclosed chains. They seem like the best of both worlds (durability and low maintenance / higher efficiency compared to a shaft).

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[I don't know why there aren't more enclosed chains. They seem like the best of both worlds (durability and low maintenance / higher efficiency compared to a shaft)]

My guess is that the appearance of a chain cover is what keeps them off of new offerings, plus potential buyers aren't asking for an enclosed chain. Conversely, the cost for a chain cover + chain & sprockets would be a pittance compared to a final drive system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
[I don't know why there aren't more enclosed chains. They seem like the best of both worlds (durability and low maintenance / higher efficiency compared to a shaft)]

My guess is that the appearance of a chain cover is what keeps them off of new offerings, plus potential buyers aren't asking for an enclosed chain. Conversely, the cost for a chain cover + chain & sprockets would be a pittance compared to a final drive system.
I dont think its the looks...I think people may like the looks of a bare chain better till they have to clean and lube and ajust it, which as we all know many just dont do the maintenance they need to. IIRC, my XV920RH wasnt one solid housing around the entire chain but used stiff pleated rubber channels top and bottom...its just been too long and I cant remember but it didnt look all that bad...here it is.
http://moto.zombdrive.com/images/yamaha-xv-920-rh-8.jpg
People dont ask for them because they dont even know they exist. And what good they can do. They used to be found on some Japanese small bikes in the US in the 1960s.

Here is a better pic of the cover
http://suprememotos.com/uploads/postfotos/rare-1981-yamaha-xv920rh-european-model-1.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I don't know why there aren't more enclosed chains. They seem like the best of both worlds (durability and low maintenance / higher efficiency compared to a shaft).
I dont think the current crop of buyers are interested in practicallity in this country. Other places, yes, the Royal Enfield Bullet is selling like hot cakes....

Here, you try and sell a practical bike like the Honda CB1100 and no one wants it. Likewise the NT.
My XV920 had only 65 HP, but it was only 500 lbs and felt light. You could easily set the valves yourself and there was no coolant to change. I did have an oil temp gage but it only really climbed on hot days going up mountain passes....now its all about crotch rockets and adventure touring bikes. It is interesting to me that Honda is going to bring in the NC750. Its a very practical bike, after all....just like the NT. I do hope they offer options....if it werent for this forum, I wouldnt have bought the NT...you guys told me about the big lids, and that changed everything for me. Honda never told me.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The motorcycle market these days seems even more segmented than in the past and just finding a "standard bike" is difficult. For the most part, manufacturers build what people want to buy and these days it seems to be Cruisers, ADV bikes, and Bobbers. By comparison, the sport bike market is microscopic in spite of all the ink it gets in the enthusiast magazines.

Every Honda distributorship does its own advertising and often has its own accessories plus they have colors not available here. The NT's big lids came from Honda UK which is why they had to be originally ordered from outside the US. They were never ordered by American Honda although we did get the wind deflectors, gas tank protector, top box, etc, all of which were from Europe. There is no master plan for every accessory to be available in every country where Honda motorcycles are sold - that is decided by the sales people in those countries.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
In the 60's the Honda C100 Super Cub's had a chain guard although I think since Honda advertised them for the "nicest people" I think they were trying to keep their clothing clean from chain lube splatter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The motorcycle market these days seems even more segmented than in the past and just finding a "standard bike" is difficult. For the most part, manufacturers build what people want to buy and these days it seems to be Cruisers, ADV bikes, and Bobbers. By comparison, the sport bike market is microscopic in spite of all the ink it gets in the enthusiast magazines.

Every Honda distributorship does its own advertising and often has its own accessories plus they have colors not available here. The NT's big lids came from Honda UK which is why they had to be originally ordered from outside the US. They were never ordered by American Honda although we did get the wind deflectors, gas tank protector, top box, etc, all of which were from Europe. There is no master plan for every accessory to be available in every country where Honda motorcycles are sold - that is decided by the sales people in those countries.
I believe you but I question the marketing stragety. When I look at a Subaru brochure or a BMW motorcycle brochure, or Triumph motorcycle brochure, I see option packages, trim levels, and individual options. I like that. I am sure those are all USA specific, and that is what I expect out of American Honda....if they dont want to offer an option series for the NC750, that's up to them. I hope there are buyers savey enough to see that there is a boatfull of options available in Canada and the UK.....

Bike
2006 Black NT700V ABS
In the 60's the Honda C100 Super Cub's had a chain guard although I think since Honda advertised them for the "nicest people" I think they were trying to keep their clothing clean from chain lube splatter.
They certainly did. My 1980 C90 model used to get me around town very economically in my youth, I only remember adjusting the chain once in about 8,000 miles. It looked exactly like this one:

Yes, my 1956 BSA Golden Flash with sidecar had a fully enclosed rear chain...all went well until the chain broke...quite a mess... the chains were pretty crappy back in those days and unfortunately out of site -out of mind was the norm...The rear hub / wheel assembly was quick detachable and stayed in place when you changed the tire, so sadly the condition of the chain was very often neglected...

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Not sure if the BSA had one but the Honda chain guard had a vision/lube port that you could use to check on and oil the chain without having to remove the guard. Of course as you stated out of site out of mind in most cases and a lot of the riders on the small bikes we beginners who probably did not even know the had to lubricate the chain.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Not sure if the BSA had one but the Honda chain guard had a vision/lube port that you could use to check on and oil the chain without having to remove the guard. Of course as you stated out of site out of mind in most cases and a lot of the riders on the small bikes we beginners who probably did not even know the had to lubricate the chain.
Exactly. My Yamaha have a rubber plug to check the chain play. When I was at the BMW rally in Kaslo BC, there was a weestrom rider with an old rusty loose chain. I asked him why he didnt lube and tighten it. He said there was no ajustment left and he was going to replace it when he got home. I dont understand this attitude. I dont understand people riding worn out tires either....denile gets you dead....

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...I believe you but I question the marketing stragety...]

The unfortunate part is that distributorships are often semi-independent of the Mother Ship and that being the case, you can't force every distributorship to have all the accessories available or even the same models available.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Carrying a lot of inventory on slow moving products be it motorcycles or accessories can kill a business that is already operating on low margins. Most major business today follow 80/20 principles and only carry 20% of the products that are responsible for 80% of the sales. The remainder they special order when necessary or just turn that business away.

Top Bottom