Winter Tires

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Shucks, Miairhead, I think you oughta' give that a try! You'd have incredible traction on ice.

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I don't have enough time to install all those screws. I do live on a gravel road, and I guess would make riding around the pasture to check the fence more fun and faster then the Kubota. I just hoping winter is like last with not too much of the white crap, so I guess I'll pass on doing this farkle. I guess I not an Ice Racer.

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
Back in the 70's when I was "sidecar" ice racing, we used #8 sheet metal screws. Screwed into knobby or trials tires from the outside. About 1000 screws per tire. They did not go all the way thru so holding air was not a problem. Last bike was Z1, 900 Kawasaki with home made sidecar on LEFT side. Rear wheel relaced from 18" to 16" for better tire choice. Traction on ice was as good as on pavement. Coming out of turns onto and down the straights, with hack man (monkey) draped over rear fender, front wheel would not touch the ice until throttle was closed. Lots of good memories from those days.

Top Bottom