cutting out ...hiss light on

Bike
metallic grey 2007 NT700
hi was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the hiss..my bike keeps cutting out randomly then restarts within a second..when it does the hiss light comes on with the fI light. i have tried using the fault code reader but its not logging a fault up so i am a bit of a loss to be honest...

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Unfortunately we did not get HISS on the North American version of the NT. That was just one of many things Honda saw fit to remove on the NT before importing it here. Hopefully one of our members on your side of the pond, or Oz, can help you out...

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I suspect you probably have a battery that is going bad. The fact that the HISS and FI lights are coming on suggests a power off/on cycle has happened.

If I remember correctly, this has happened to others and replacing the battery solved the problem.

Seagrass

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had a battery failure that was strange. I thought it was still OK, because i could charge it and it would start and run OK. I finally realized something worse was going on when my ABS light wouldn't go out after I had gotten up to speed. It ended up being also a regulator/rectifier issue.

OP
OP
Bike
metallic grey 2007 NT700
thanks for the reply's people as it turns out it was a faulty lean angle sensor...took bike out for a bit, i rode it very very gingerly...no problem..things going through my head as to why.....seemed so so random then at a set of lights i slightly lent the bike to the left and the bloody thing cut out.from then on it kept doing it.shook it a bit with some heavy breaking and weaving and it seemed to settle..got it home and did the same thing of leaning it over only 15° or so and bang off the engine goes.... just removed it not had a single issue so far ����edit...this was not the cause and the hunt for the answer is still on.

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
That is kind of a bad failure to have it cut out at 15 deg (while leaned over in a curve). I believe a bank angle sensor failure is rare (good thing).
It is nice to cut the fuel pump off if the bike is laying on it's side with you trapped under it though.

Brad

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[Unfortunately we did not get HISS on the North American version of the NT...]

Didn't you mean to say "Fortunately"? I sure don't want HISS on my NT!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It would require that at least one NT is actually stolen before the insurance company would consider a discount for HISS. Ah...please don't hold your breath waiting!

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I like the fact I can leave my key in the bike and not worry about it being taken. I find it a ***** trying to put key in ignition, and almost never remove the key.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It would require that at least one NT is actually stolen before the insurance company would consider a discount for HISS. Ah...please don't hold your breath waiting!
LOL! I have never worried at all about my NT's being stolen while I'm away from it. I have to confess that I usually leave the keys in the ignition. In March I'll have had it 8 years with no losses.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
My guess is that motorcycle thieves steal a certain model because it goes very fast and they want to have fun on a joy ride or that it has lots of parts that are in demand. NTs just don't fit that bill.

OP
OP
Bike
metallic grey 2007 NT700
ok lovely people i think i have fixed it as i have done two 1&1/4 hour runs with no issues..i ended up with a new negative lead going from battery to reg/rec, cleaning the plugs behind the left side rad vent and also a new battery.... fingers crossed people its sorted

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[..i ended up with a new negative lead going from battery to reg/rec...]

Did you install a supplemental wire or replaced the original wire and if so, what was wrong with it?

Top Bottom