Back of the Dragon

I just became aware of this area in southern VA - in 2012 they officially named their road the "Back of the Dragon" and hope to cash in on the tourism dollars that motorcycle riders create. The area is about the same distance from where I live as the other "'Dragon" - however my online searches haven't revealed and really good motorcycle oriented campgrounds or hotels like they have in TN/NC. Places like the Kickstand Lodge, BlueRidge Motorcycle Campground, Deals Gap and Two Wheels of Suches have gotten me a bit spoiled in value, convenience and nice quiet places to sleep. If the area has similar roads to ride the area doesn't have the afternoon showers that chase me around the Deals Gap area every afternoon....it might be a good area to go riding.

http://www.roadrunner.travel/2012/11/04/virginia-state-route-16-becomes-the-back-of-the-dragon/

Is anyone familiar with the riding in this area - and can recommend good places to camp?

Thanks - Dave

Last edited:
While I am not into camping I can guarantee that you will love riding the Back of the Dragon. It's longer and it's always been less crowded than Tail of the Dragon.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Nice ride, but you are in Virginia. Got stopped at a 4 way by about 5 Sheriffs cars on a ride on the 'Back'. I guess they where checking mostly Virginia's certifications as they had my son and on pull over to check our paper work: I don't the the Deputy even really looked at our paper work since we where not local and not on H-D's or sport bikes.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
If you can drive faster then 55 on most of the road, I suggest Motogp. It has switch backs, and lots of curves.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I rode the back of the dragon about a month ago. Wonderful road and great riding all around the area. Unfortunately I can't recommend a campground. The Travel Lite Motel in Wytheville, VA is a modestly priced motel where motorbike enthusiasts are welcome. IMG_1667.jpgIMG_1661.jpg

I was actually just there last Sunday and stopped at the Thompson Valley general store just south of Tazewell, VA. It's a good fun road!:biggrin:

Top Bottom