Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ya know how you go into a store to just look around...

My Gallery

Ya know how you go into a store to just look around...

That's what I'm doing.

Thinking of getting back on a bike and stumbled upon the nt... don't even remember where, but would like to know more about it. So I'll poke around and see how you like it AND what you've done to make it yours.

mark

My Gallery

Re: Ya know how you go into a store to just look around...

Picking the "perfect" bike is pretty subjective. But you will get a lot of positive opinions here about the Honda NT700. It has been a "do-it-all" bike from the beginning. It gets excellent fuel mileage and is very dependable. I really enjoyed the comfort of mine. It is a great commuting bike and I've done lots of touring on it. It is powerful enough to have lots of fun. The pannier latches are the biggest fault of the NT.

I've moved on to something a little lighter and with more power. But my NT carried me over 55K miles without issue before I sold it. I forgot to mention the good protection from wind and rain in the paragraph above. The best news for you is that they never sold well and still don't. That means you can pick up a good used one at a great price. There are several for sale on this forum. I'd trust the sellers on here before any other source. Most of the ones for sale on this forum are pretty well set up too. Cycletrader usually has about 100 of them for sale in the US, but mostly not in Chicago.

Now stand by for a lot of good feedback.

My Gallery

Welcome Aboard.

I bought mine about a month ago for $3,200. I really love this bike, it only took a couple of days for that to happen. I had a crush on this bike when it first came out in 2010, but at that time I had an ST1300 and I did not pursue it any further.

On the second day of me owning this bike, I took it for a ride in the mountains and canyons near my home. The bike did very well under all the conditions that I encountered on the steep and winding roads. I had a huge grin on my face the whole time.

The power is plenty of enough to get you around and out of situations. The comfort is good with some modification, mine came with handlebar risers, which I believe are a must to get a more upright riding position. I find the bike likes to cruise at between 70 to 75 MPH without any excessive vibration. Doing more than 80 MPH there is a buzzing vibration present in both the handlbars and footpegs.

I outfitted my bike with LED Turn Signals, LED Taillight with a Brake Gear Modulator, LED Driving Light, Dual Tone Horns mounted behind the bodywork, Warning Strobes for lane splitting in LA traffic, and I recently installed a Givi V45 Top Case for additional storage. I also performed a modification to add Hazard/4-Way Lights to this bike as it did not come with a swtich for this from the factory.

These bikes are rarer than others. If you have an interest in getting one of these and you have the opportunity to get one. You really should get it.

These are really rare in So Cal and there was only one for sale over 80 miles away from my house. I first checked it out and test rode it. I was really pleased with what I experienced and got it.
    Last edited by Brillot2000; 12-01-2017 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Additional Information
    Bruce B.
    Sun Valley, CA
    2010 NT700V - NaTalie

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Welcome to NT-World, Mark! We've got a great Forum that can answer your questions about the NT.

I bought mine in March of 2010. I had put 165K miles on two '99 Kawasaki Concours, but I had also had five knee replacements and had begun to look for a lighter bike. In the NT, I gave up about 30hp to lose 100 pounds. I knew how I wanted the bike to work so was ready to spend some money to make it fit me right. I added a topbox, big pannier lids, bar risers and peg lowerers, Denali driving lights, a Rostra electronic cruise control, a Russell DayLong saddle, a Fenda Extenda, and other smaller items. I got the Honda wind deflectors and a higher windscreen.

The bike has done all that I've asked of it. I have had two final drive rebuilds, but both can be attributed to a mechanic's error and are not common issues. My rear shock failed at 96K miles, but other than those things, the bike has been reliable. At 125,000 miles, I've still got confidence in it and won't be replacing it soon.

When I do, I'll probably get another NT and swap over my farkles.
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 125,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

My Gallery

Welcome to the forum.
    Wayne
    1987 Yamaha FJ1200
    AMA Life Member

My Gallery

Welcome to the forum!
    Can't go wrong with an NT.
    TIM WILKES
    2010 NT700V "PhaNTom" #1470
    2009 DL650 Wee (Phantom II)
    Vietnam Veterans of America Life Member
    NT Only

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Welcome!
    Best bike I've ever owned. Perfect commuter, excellent tourer, fun in the twisties and it gets good/great gas mileage. Very little maintenance and they last forever. Whats not to love?
    2010 NT700V
    1982 GL500I - Gone but not forgotten

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Rand soper View Post
    Welcome!
    Best bike I've ever owned. Perfect commuter, excellent tourer, fun in the twisties and it gets good/great gas mileage. Very little maintenance and they last forever. Whats not to love?
    I will have to second that notion. Just last night on the ride home, the bike felt like it was flying. However, I was only doing 70 to 75 MPH. That's how smooth this bike is.

My Gallery

yes..welcome to the forum...the NT is a very good, dependable machine.....someone mentioned vibration above 80....I haven't experienced that....Heli-bar risers and a taller windshield pretty much cover my accessories.
    Enjoy!
    NT only
    Bikes owned; '83 GL650I, '82 GL1100I, ??CB400, '82 GL1100A, '83 GL1100I, '06 BMW K1200LT, '10 NT700V

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by swingshiftssuck View Post
    someone mentioned vibration above 80....I haven't experienced that.....
    Enjoy!
    That was me. I am not the only one that experienced this.

The following comment was taken directly from a review of the bike done back in 2010.

The compact twin purrs away without protest even when ridden immediately after starting. It's not a powerhouse, but torque builds palpably as revs climb, with a lively power band from 5,000 to 8,000 revs, and redline is 8,500. Honda's USA division doesn't provide power ratings, but in European trim it puts out a claimed 67 crankshaft horsepower at 8,000 rpm, with 49 lb-ft of torque at 6,500 rpm. Cruising down the highway at 60 mph shows slightly over 4,000 rpm in fifth gear, and engine vibration doesn't become noticeable until above 75 mph. I barely felt vibes in the control surfaces, only a mild pulsation that's not fatiguing.
    Here's the link Roadrunner Travel Motorcycle Touring and Travel Magazine - September/October 2010

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast