Update on a couple of Forum members...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I talked to both Jim Moore and Eldon Cannon today. Not particularly good news about either one. Eldon's vision is still crummy although he says he thinks he's seeing a little more light.

Jim's only working eye is up to about 20-100, but he has a severely restricted field of vision. He is able to read with a bright light and a magnifying glass. He says that there's still some hope for more improvement when the doctor can remove the cataract from that eye and "change the oil" in it. I think that's still a couple of years off.

Both say that "it is what it is" and maintain hope of eventual improvement.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Thanks for keeping track of our members Phil. I thought about calling you to get Jim Moore's phone number because I see that he has been logged on the forum a few times recently. He was never a prolific poster like you Phil, but I was encouraged just by the fact that he was logged on. I've talked with Eldon a few times on the phone and his attitude always seems better than his vision. I have a couple extra days to get to Spearfish next summer so I might stop to see Jim Moore if I can get myself invited.

There are a few other forum and Spearfish riders who have disappeared in recent years too. I've wondered about them but never tried to track them down. Three of them are from WI too. I know two of them defected to an FJR, but that isn't the same a vision problems. Riders drop out for all sorts of reasons, but the worst ones are when it is foreced upon the riders. Let the rest of us count our blessings.

Thanks again Phil for keeping us all in the loop. I count both Jim and Eldon as friends along with many other forum members and its good to hear the news from them (even if its less than good). A week ago, and for the first time in my life I ran a half-marathon in 2:45:07. Not the fastest but I beat my goal of under 3 hours and there were 400 that crossed the finished line after me so I don't feel too bad. So my physical therapy has taken me from being in a body cast to 3.5 years later finishing a half-marathon. In fact, I felt so good after the race that I talked my 16 year old granddaughter into running the Disney Star-Wars half-marathon on April 22, 2018 with me. I use the Galloway method of running for 3 minutes and walking for 30 seconds which is suppose to help you run injury free and it seemed to work for me.
Wendell

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Your recovery has been remarkable, Wendell!

Mike

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Wendell, like the others have said, you are remarkable. It's good to hear that such recoveries are possible! Keep it up!

Top Bottom