Michelin PR4s. Why should I fit them?

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
On Saturday I had a new set of PR4s fitted to the bike. I did about 150 miles over the weekend and the beginning of the week in reasonable-ish weather (i.e. no rain though damp roads at times).

Yesterday evening, the heavens opened and we had a frog strangler. The bike was rock steady lane splitting all the way home and I added another 50 miles or so to the tyres.

This evening it was worse, absolutely bucketing it down - torrential rain. Roads flooding and "rivers" running across the roads. This time, while lane splitting, I had to brake rather hard at one point, certainly hard enough for me to expect the ABS to cut in due to the horrendous conditions. But, the ABS wasn't needed and the bike was rock steady, slowing down very smartly indeed (I needn't have braked so hard).

I'm nearly certain that I've got more grip in the wet that the original Bridgestones had in the dry. Certainly way more grip than the Metzler cross-plys had on my old CBR600 and I used to wear those out in 4,000 to 6,000 miles.

Due to the weather conditions, the edges aren't scrubbed-in yet (the chicken strips are still very much in evidence on the edges) so I'm taking the corners a bit gingerly but, the weekend looks reasonable so I'll try to scrub the edges in a bit then.

If you aren't running Michelin PR4s on your NT then do so. Hopefully the new PR5s will be even better when they come out in the spring.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I agree. The PR4's are the perfect tire for the NT. Not only do they handle great in all conditions you can also put a lot of miles on them and they continue to perform well. I also ride them in below freezing temperatures and while I don't ride aggressively they seem to grip well even at the low temperatures.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had one set of PR4s that had the rear tire wear out in only 8,000 miles. The current set is doing much better. I agree that they've got great traction in the wet and cold. But I'm like Warren...I try not to test the traction limit in either wet or cold conditions.

Bike
2006 Black NT700V ABS
They are absolutely my number one choice. Had 2 sets on my NT and will be putting them on the VFR once the original equipment Bridgestones wear out (I'm too cheap not to get some wear out of them first)

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I agree. I have 10,000 mi on my PR-4s and they are still going strong--some scalloping on the front tyre.

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
I concur the PR-4 is an excellent tire. Handling and wear are exceptional. I have 10700 miles on my second pair and the tread wear is comparable with the 16500 the first pair provided.

I may try the PR-5 next time dependent on price/availability at the time. The only concern I have about extra long tire life is whether a lubrication service for the splines on the final drive should be performed at tread life midpoint. I really didn't see spline wear indication at the last tire change though. If I have a similar result this time I will dismiss the thought. I am using Honda Moly 60 paste.

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I noticed that the price of the PR4s was lower than previously. I saved in the region of $80 (US) over the last ones. Maybe, they're clearing stock for the PR5s...

Top Bottom